PDA

View Full Version : RAF Community BBC Programme

jodesylva
6th Sep 2001, 19:04
I'm researching about the RAF community, what makes it a community, and how effectivley the community work together, both the good bits and the bad. If you have any thoughts, or would like to add your comments I'd love to do hear them.

kippermate
6th Sep 2001, 22:38
Dear Jode,
One of the worst things about the RAF Community is when you get posted and mates that you have had for years; joined the UAS together, BFT, even been on the same Sqn forget about you. When they never call; never write; never visit. Its even worse when you do an exchange tour, say to Canada!! :D :D :D :D

zak
7th Sep 2001, 01:39
And they go away and then keep coming back with big grins on their face - whilst others still have to fly the front line machines which are very very old and boring. And we dont go upside down. Mind you we get paid lots. ;) ;) :D

Tiger_mate
7th Sep 2001, 09:56
Jode said:

I'm researching about the RAF community....

Who are little differant from any other UK community in that they are black, white, good families, bad families, sociable and anti social.

Friendships across the garden fence can be influenced by rank.

Servicemen have many aqaintance and few friends, however you often meet up and old friend and pick up as if you were never apart.

The RAF does not respect that eventually all families need geographical stability and that kids are entitled to stable education, and that wives are entitled to have a career, which leads to many, many families living in the main without the everday presence of the serviceman/woman.

That is the time when a civilian career becomes very attractive, and amazingly, living within a civilian community is almost identical to being on the married patch. The only thing differant is that your neighbour usually does not give a toss what rank you are, and that is refreshing.

TM

Mr Nitrox
9th Sep 2001, 10:33
Well said TM

There is no single 'RAF Community' just several micro communities existing at the same time, same place and ultimately based on rank. Maybe people used to bond together but that must have been a hell of a long time ago. Nowadays people are too busy to bother about anything other than their getting on with their own lives.