PDA

View Full Version : Leuchars Airshow

Tonkenna
5th Sep 2001, 21:48
Anyone bringing a jet up.

I'll be stood next to mine (sorry, can't get out of the habit of calling it a jet) but its too small for a party. Please come and say hi.

Tonks :D :D

Chocks Wahay
5th Sep 2001, 22:12
How will we know you - copy of The Independant under your arm and a red carnation in your lapel? Or bloodshot eyes, a bored expression and sore feet (hmm, that doesn't narrow it down much) :-)

MrBernoulli
6th Sep 2001, 01:26
We won't be there Tonks. Too busy winding ourselves up into a frenzy about the "Mother of All Cock-Ups" in the sands of Oman. Gosh, I can hardly wait to go and sleep with the scorpions. Much better than getting s**t-faced at the Leuchars air show.........apparently!

BEagle
6th Sep 2001, 03:46
He'll be the one with ginger hair and a happy smile leering at the babes - and wearing ridiculous Turkish pyjamas or curtain material strides at the inevitable post air show thrash!!

Have fun, Tonks - I'll be on leave in Tchermany at the time!

EESDL
6th Sep 2001, 14:17
Hey, Tonks!
I'll be there in spirit (comes from running the air and static display for a couple of years in the mid-90s), but I'll be at the Grand Nottinghamshire Autumn Festival (Newark Showground), pleasure flying, so there:-) So I'll be doing my 'small' bit for inter-civilian relationships, so to speak.
BBMF have said that they'll turn up, along with the YAK2001 display.........!!!!!

Make sure Bubbles Barnett doesn't sell you short on the 80#.

I'm sure your single-engined, non-ATPL earning ac will impress the locals enough for you not to worry about lodgings for the night........

[ 06 September 2001: Message edited by: EESDL ]

augustus
8th Sep 2001, 00:27
Some of us will be there for the weekend just before we disappear to that happy hunting ground in the desert (SSII) - lets hope the band on Saturday are ok! and the beer is even better!!

Tonkenna
9th Sep 2001, 17:40
Chocks,

I won't be dressed quite as my old mate BEagle has suggested. I don't know, how hard is it to get rid of a reputation. The easiest way to spot me is to read my name badge as it has 'Tonks' on it. Oh an I will be stood with some of the students next to my plastic a/c.

BEagle, no looking at the women as Mrs Tonkenna will be about as well!! Oh and she believes that (not).

If there are any PPRUNErs there, come and say hi.

Tonks :D

f4phixeruk
11th Sep 2001, 22:43
Would have come and said 'Hi', but I suppose after today's events in US, the show will be cancelled.

The Jaguar Fan Club
13th Sep 2001, 05:36
According to the airshow website, Leuchars 2001 is still going ahead as planned.

Tonks,
I will probably pop past and say hi on Saturday unless you are being mobbed by gorgeous young girlies admiring your "plastic toy" :D

Oh how I long to be back on t' other side of the fence. It's just not the same when you have to pay for beer at an airshow. :rolleyes:

Lets just hope it doesn't pi$$ it down this year, otherwise the ANG KC-135 crew will be subject to some serious bribery again.

Toodle pip
TJFC

PS. Do you have any girlie studes that need to develop their PR skills? (That is what ours used to say on airshow weekend!)

[ 13 September 2001: Message edited by: The Jaguar Fan Club ]

Tonkenna
13th Sep 2001, 22:00
Yep, its still on.

I have even got my new PPRUNE badge as well today. Thanks In_Fin for the quick reply.

Lets hope its a good day.

Tonks

Silva
14th Sep 2001, 23:13
Hi Tonks,

so how is the plastic toy? Would come up and say hello if I got the chance but...alas..have to work! :(

f4phixeruk
15th Sep 2001, 00:13
According to nice lass on BBC scotland it will be sunny spells with rain later. Gonna pee it down all day then :-)

bad livin'
15th Sep 2001, 01:33
Excellent interview with Leu Staish on local radio tonight - glad the show is still on, hope to meet some of you there tomorrow.

Rgds
BL

The Jaguar Fan Club
16th Sep 2001, 00:34
Well, another day, another Leuchars Airshow.

All I'll say is that the flying programme had noticeably larger gaps due to the USA contingent not being there. Not unexpected. Nice to see that most of the show managed to observe the mark of respect undertaken today.

Tonks, wandered round by your aircraft today....was gonna pop up and say hi, but it was at the time the VIP guest was doing his walkabout bit. Didn't want to disturb you while you were looking all smart with your hat on :D (Even Mr N dragged his out of hiding!! :D ) I have to say that the PPRuNe badge does not look at all out of place on flying suit name badges. Would be something that would take a lot of looking after at airshow parties etc with the inevitable drunken badge swapping/dunking!

I was shocked to see that they even let studes sit down at the airshow these days, while the QFI's do all the work.

Waiting in anticipation for your marks out of ten for the best party bus and best prank at the party(ies). ;)

Cheers
TJFC

Tonkenna
16th Sep 2001, 23:38
Thanks to all the PPRuNers that came and said hi :) A good day I think, though I was in the hanger for most of it.

The bash afterwards was great, though I can't remeber a great deal about it and I was a bit sore today. The Dutch P3 crew where on top form, especially the Tango man (anyone there will know what I mean).

A bit of a shame that some of the a/c had to leave straight away, they missed a good night.

Jag Fan Club, Hi. We have to keep the students sat down or they may try and talk to the public! There where certainly a lot of senior officers about. We managed to get rid of our scruffier students before then. I even managed to keep my PPRUNE badge, though I have lost one other. Nicky, can I have it back please?

Oh, and hi to the AAC major I spoke to in the bar latter. Hope you lot enjoyed the rest of the party. I think you probably did :D

Chocks Wahay
17th Sep 2001, 00:47
Another fine Leuchars, good displays and a good crowd. A shame the B1 didn't turn up (understandable) but no Migs or Eurofighter either.

Tonks - nice to meet you mate, the plastic toy plane was very shiny - do you make the studes lick it clean then, or what?

[ 17 September 2001: Message edited by: Chocks Wahay ]

PPRuNe Radar
17th Sep 2001, 00:54
Tonks

Myself and a few others sauntered past but you were obviously busy explaining the intricacies of your aircraft's fire control avionics to a fighter jock at the time. At least I assume that guy with the 735 badges on his flying suit was a pilot and not an anorak ;)

Oh, added to which, one of our number was a bit busy trying to negotiate an approach with one of the young female FLs on the ATC gliding stand at the time ;)

Catch you next time maybe.

f4phixeruk
17th Sep 2001, 10:33
Allegedly heard on the evening departures after the show

ASCOT 88* Holding for the light aircraft to depart ahead.

CHEEKY was reply from C-130 ahead :D
:D :D

Flipper.
17th Sep 2001, 16:31
[ 05 October 2001: Message edited by: Flipper. ]

Bally Heck
18th Sep 2001, 03:09
Which of you reprobates ruined my 250yd drive of the 13th at Silverknowes golf course in Edinburgh by flying your new fangled Lancaster thingy down the EDI approach, along with a couple of light aircraft? B******s

Snapshot
18th Sep 2001, 12:03
Flipper, I really don't give a t#ss if I get stick for this but I have read and re-read your post. :confused:
I cannot believe you have, what seems a total by-pass of current 'bad press' associated with the RAF! Are you REALLY so childish to write about the things that WE ALL know go in the OM but USED to remain behind closed doors and not splashed all over a public forum like this?
Comments like
"anyway I'm off to register for my third yr. of sponging off the taxpayers, cheers lads."
only go to re-enforce the trash journalism that one day (if you ever make it mate) might have serious consequences to your career within the Royal Air Force.
If you feel it so necessary to 'advertise' that you 'were there' (WEWO*) by name dropping and describing the antics of what seems a great after show party, then I feel sorry for you mate!
Say what you like about me, say my photographs are cr#p, I don't really care, but if this post makes you stop and think about the next time you are about to post on PPRuNE and consider WHO might read this, it shall have been worth the following 'get a life' type posts I expect reciprocated.
One other point, and I am NOT jumping on the band wagon of the events in the US last week, I feel we should move forward now and not let the Bast@rds stop OUR way of life, but, was it appropriate again to advertise EVERYONE was so BLADDERED? I am sure the Blue Eagle team appreciate your comments too?
Being directly involved with PR for the forces, I have to put up directly with the sh#t people like you lay down without regard or interest of the consequences. Go well and THINK.

Olly O'Leg
18th Sep 2001, 21:15
Well said Snapshot. I'm sure the women of ELUAS are well chuffed....... :mad:

Tonkenna
18th Sep 2001, 22:26
Ok Flipper, perhaps we need to have a chat about PPRuNe etiquete!!

Tonks

BEagle
18th Sep 2001, 22:30
Olly and Snappers - you're probably right but actually I'm quite encouraged to know that students haven't changed that much over the years. I hope that you all had a good time at the Leuchars air show which is obviously living up to its old standards - oh for the days when we used to have aircrew parties on board our Vickers Funbus. You should have seen the look on the Scottish Officer's face when his 43 boys came clanking up the steps with some tinnies for the party - there were already 40 aircrew plus 'guests' (nudge, nudge, wink, wink he said...knowingly...) and the lekkie OJ plus choccie spiders were in full flow!!

incubus
22nd Sep 2001, 22:46
I am now taking bribes not to post a photograph of the great Tonkenna beside his airfix aircraft :-)

Tonkenna
28th Sep 2001, 00:15
Oh Dear,

You really don't want to scare off unfortunate PPRUNErs who accidently come to this forum do you. Its bad enough having to stand next to a plastic a/c without some one taking a pic to prove that I was there. Still, publish and be dammed.

Tonks :) :)

Mavrik
28th Sep 2001, 10:53
I was at RAF Leuchars the day before the Air Show and saw about 12 aircrew getting into the back of an SF Hercules dressed in desert flying suits. This was 3 days after the towers being blown up. Any ideas where they were deploying as i believe only Lemming and Coningsby crews have deployed to Oman????????

fobotcso
28th Sep 2001, 13:30
mavrik, I can't believe you expect your topic to be discussed here!

Force deployments are not a matter for idle gossip.

It is not sufficient for you to say that "you can read it all in the papers" or "hear it all on TV".

Snippets of apparently harmless information can be built up to form a big picture that is far more damaging than the components.

Now, if you want to talk about the Airshow...

Andis
28th Sep 2001, 17:17
I think Maverick's got a point actually ... i had a pass to get in the day before the airshow and i saw them board the C130 at about 1400 ... does anybody have a pic of them? I think this is the sort of thing we should discuss ... it's a little more interesting than talking about an airshow every year. I know for a fact that it's the leeming and coningsby f3 squardrons in oman.

BEagle
29th Sep 2001, 00:06
Please close this thread.

Tonkenna
29th Sep 2001, 15:42
Mavrik/Andis,

What are you guys on. This is a thread about an airshow and not about what may or maynot be happening elsewhere, so please shut up.

BEagle, agree.

Tonks :mad:

Per Ardua Ad Asda
29th Sep 2001, 18:38
Mavrik = posts (2)
Andis = posts (1)

Take some advice, delete your posts.

awayday
30th Sep 2001, 18:10
Guys,
we should give these two dudes a break. They are obviously two very sad spotters with nothing more suitable to say and wishing to spread rumours to make their, otherwise, dull lives appear to be intresting.

Tonks, say Hi to K for me! See you in a few weeks.

PS, I like the ring, titanium isn't it?

Andis
30th Sep 2001, 19:32
Fella's fells i don't know ...

I'm afraid awayday you couldn't be farther from the truth. Tonkenna ... i know who you are .. didn't think you'd take Mavericks topic so seriously ... i thought you were up for a bit of scandel and a laugh????

shame never mind

Tonkenna
30th Sep 2001, 20:58
Unfortunatly Andis (and I don't know who you are) that at times like this some don't see the funny side of such things. Indeed, it only takes comment like those of Maverick and yourself to get all sorts of people interested. We have already seen in the news that SF are in theatre. I have no idea whether thay are or not, and frankly it is not our business. This sort of thing should not even be joked about here, or spocken about on TV, cause, if they are doing the deed they need all the breaks they can get.

So, now you have had your little joke how about just removeing the posts and lets carry on talking about the show, our trying to convince Incubus not to publish a pic of the Tutor, cause it would be embarrasing.

Hi Awayday, having fun? :)

Tonks.

PS Andis, come and say hi some time.

[ 30 September 2001: Message edited by: Tonkenna ]

[ 30 September 2001: Message edited by: Tonkenna ]

NoFaultFound
30th Sep 2001, 21:24
Andis - RAF Nav
Maverick - Pilot The Gulf.

Don't seem to show much sense if their profiles are correct!

NFF

awayday
1st Oct 2001, 00:05
Tonks, prepare for the banter to arrive after a photo like that...

Tonkenna
1st Oct 2001, 00:29
Oh great, I feel like I have been outed in some way. Still, who is the lovely women in front of me and can I have her telephone number :D :D .

Cheers Incubus I feel a hard time inbound.

Tonks ;)

Man-on-the-fence
1st Oct 2001, 00:30
Verrrry nice

Oops just realised you're the one in the green bag not the blue coat

Sorrreeee :D

BEagle
1st Oct 2001, 01:41
Dear me, Tonks - pens in the pocket in Learning Command?? Not tied on with bits of string? And what were you doing with your left hand......??

Mavrik
1st Oct 2001, 10:32
Per Asda ... maybe you should get out more!

Nice Pic Tonks ... you must very proud!

EESDL
4th Oct 2001, 23:32
Nice BIG flying suit Tonkenna
But where did your hair go? Student Stress no doubt!!

6nandneutral
5th Oct 2001, 00:47
Were your hands cold?

Tonkenna
5th Oct 2001, 09:42
I had hoped this tread had dropped of the bottom of the list. Not only is it not my best side, but it upsets Mrs Tonks!

Tonks :o