View Full Version : Jobs for colourblind Pilots

Sacky
1st Dec 2009, 02:17
Well I'm in a position where I can't get a Class 1 medical due to my colourblindness, but I was wondering whether there are any other employment opportunities for people in my position. Not necessarily major positions, just even small jobs such as glider towing.

fpuentegomez
1st Dec 2009, 06:55
I'm affraid that if you can't get a Class 1 Medical you can't have a CPL, hence you can't work as a pilot.

ab33t
1st Dec 2009, 14:05
PM me and I can see if your situation is similar to mine.

ab33t
1st Dec 2009, 14:07
Just a question , I thought that the OZ medical does not check for Colour vision , is the the medical we are talking about ?

flyhighspeed300
1st Dec 2009, 19:33
also there is alot and lots of pilots waiting for a job at the moment.
if you did think of doing something to get a EASA instructor rating in the further when, i am sure it will happen.
the likely hood of getting a instructor jobs at the moment now is nil....
could change along EASA rules on medicals.

good luck
hope you manage to find your perfect job.

Northern Snow Goose
2nd Dec 2009, 17:03
Were you given the option of trying the "Fransworth D15" Test. It is also accepted towards a Class 1 Medical, if you fail the standard Colorblindness test. Ask your Medical Examiner or a local Optometrist. They can preform this test in minutes.
Hope it all works out for you. Dont give up.!Cheers

N.S.G

student88
5th Dec 2009, 23:11
Good luck mate, I'd be suicidal if I found out I couldn't fly because I'm colour blind.

I hope you find something.

redsnail
6th Dec 2009, 10:17
Sacky,
Were you told that you can't hold a Class one by a DAME or did someone down the pub tell you that?

In Australia, you can hold a Class one and an ATPL if you're colour blind. However, there's different levels of colour blindness, so make sure the advice has come from a DAME.

Sacky
8th Dec 2009, 06:10
That's not entirely true, you can become an instructor. You may also be able to earn money from instructing in the future despite not having a CPL.

This is what I am talking about, small jobs like this would be ideal for someone like me. I was under the impression that I was only prevented from doing commercial pilot work that related to carrying passengers, another pilot I know of has been doing work as a glider tower without needing a CPL (I could be wrong though, I'm trying to verify this).

Were you told that you can't hold a Class one by a DAME or did someone down the pub tell you that?

I was told that by the CASA guy who did the practical signal light test with me (which I failed).

In Australia, you can hold a Class one and an ATPL if you're colour blind. However, there's different levels of colour blindness, so make sure the advice has come from a DAME.

Maybe I should contact CASA about this? Would it possible to even obtain a restricted CPL?

redsnail
8th Dec 2009, 12:48
Ok, so you've failed the lantern test. That might be a challenge to over come.
If you can, talk to Dr Arthur Pape in Australia regarding your situation.
I have got friends who are colour blind as defined by the Ishihara test but passed the lantern test and so hold CPL and ATPLs in Australia. However, while I hate to ruin your day, the fact you've failed the signal test does not bode well for you being able to get a restricted Class 1.

In Australia, to instruct you need a CPL. There may be differences with the RAA licenses but you'll need to contact the RAA.

The CPL is required for any remunerated air work in Australia. If you are glider towing etc for a private club then you don't need a CPL however, you will not get paid.

:(

Mister Geezer
9th Dec 2009, 09:48
I recently underwent an initial Libyan Class 1 Medical for a Libyan ATPL (never needed it in the end) and there was no colour blind test and a Libyan licence is an ICAO recognised licence. Do ICAO stipulate strict colour blind requirements? If not then you could still/perhaps get flying! :ok:

Sacky
10th Dec 2009, 06:36
If I can't do any paid work, is there any volunteer work I can do as a pilot for any organisations?

redsnail
10th Dec 2009, 07:37
I am not sure I fully understand. If you want to fly for an organisation for free (essentially) then how are you going to feed yourself and pay rent? :confused:

belowradar
10th Dec 2009, 14:53
Sacky - I have been discriminated agianst unfarly for many years by CAA but they have a new CAD test which I passed and so I now hold an unrestricted Class 1 JAR medical

Suggest you sit that test and see how you get on :ok:

Sacky
10th Dec 2009, 23:13
Well I do have another job... I just mean on weekends I could do some flying for an organisation, like the royal flying doctor service or something along those lines.