PDA

View Full Version : Sad Git with Camcorder

Sumo664
4th Sep 2001, 02:33
Any one had any experience connecting one of these into an aircraft intercom system? I believe that some sort of widget is required but does anyone know where one may had at a reasonable price?
Ta

Talking Radalt
4th Sep 2001, 03:45
You're not suggesting plugging a common old domestic camcorder in to an aircraft system are you? Tut tut. Completely illegal as is connecting a CD player!
First you have to send it to the tefal heads to have it ruggedised (wrapped in boingy rubber) then have it subjected to 9g at 59,000 feet, dunked in salt water, frozen in ice, left in the desert for two years, waved in front of the dishes at Fylingdales, then and only then you can plod around Salisbury Plain at 120kts/500' with it... :rolleyes:

Ron Fenest
4th Sep 2001, 05:21
SUMO...I haven't got a clue but when you find out what you need and if you can wait until next April when I have been despatched back to my Corps wallowing in a depot full of stores i will make certain that you get it as quickly as if it were AOG spares. I can't say that about any genuine AOG spares because there will be a lot of golf to play.. but anything for a fellow 664 bloke (or girly...scuse me ma'am)

Too many pilots ? Hmmm, find one to go to Belize then :cool:

Ali Barber
4th Sep 2001, 09:02
Speak to one of the safety equippers on an air defence sqn. We used to carry a Walkman tape recorder velcroed to the kneepad to record a running commentary on combat sorties, with an adapter between the helmet and aircraft mic/tel leads. The upgrade was an on/off switch on a stick that could go in the pen pocket. I don't beleive they are still in use, but some of the more exerperienced/senior squippers should remember how it was done.

Rude C'man
4th Sep 2001, 09:57
Get the jack plugs from Tandy , stereo for the video mic input end. go to squippers or comms bay and get mic tels lead and one male lead to female leads . Make sure that you connect up into both comms and tels side so you hear all the cinversation. Now comes the tricky bit you have to put in a resisitor, If I remember right it's 1k ohm on the Wokka and Wessex . It sometimes depends on the a/c type. The other way, its so simple, is to buy a cheap mono mic that plugs into cam and tuck it into the earpiece of your helmet. The third cheap method Ive used is to use an old set of headphones change the jack plug and use them as a mic it requires rewiring and doesnt allways work . Good luck , PS destroy all evidence as my cam got me in trouble in NI.. Bunting .. it's frowned upon apparently . :cool:

[ 04 September 2001: Message edited by: Rude C'man ]

Cyclic Hotline
4th Sep 2001, 09:58
Even has a supplier listed in the UK!

Plus you can use that all important cell-phone in flight! :)
http://www.flightcell.co.uk/specs.htm

[ 04 September 2001: Message edited by: Cyclic Hotline ]

John Nichol
4th Sep 2001, 13:12
I presume you are only trying to record the audio and not HUD video or the like.

By far the easiest way is to use a small microphone of the clip on lapel variety. Simply feed the mic into your headset or helmet earpiece - it then records all of the audio you hear and you can adjust the volume to suit.

We use this method all of the time when filming in aircraft. I've just been in Sweden flying the Gripen and with their display team, Team 60 - the "mic in the earpiece" method gave us the cleanest and clearest sound. KISS

[ 04 September 2001: Message edited by: John Nichol ]

Rock Outboard
4th Sep 2001, 16:17
To save you the cost of buying a small mic, just use those little Walkman ear phones in reverse. Plug the earphone jack into the mic hole on the camcorder and place one earpiece in each of your helmet ear cups where they will happily act as mics. Works a treat.
:D

Rude C'man
5th Sep 2001, 00:46
John and Rock , did I not offer both those ideas in a previous reply? Nope must be me, there’s an echo in here from the front end again!

As usual the Rear Crew offer good advise and it's repeated by someone else!! Y do I bother? Answers on a new thread please :mad:

[ 04 September 2001: Message edited by: Rude C'man ]

Sumo664
5th Sep 2001, 01:51
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions (even one from the famous John Nicol!) - I'll give them all a try and see which one works best.
Ta

Emerson Cahooners
6th Sep 2001, 00:39
No, as is normally the case the rear crew thought they had a good idea, in fact probably did have a good idea, but just made a complete horlicks of the brain mouth interface bit. Resistors, 1 ohm in the wokka, might have to change the plug, blah blah blah.
As the good men said, walkman headphones in ear capsules, plug into mic socket, no resistors, no rewiring of plugs, perfect sound.
Blue touch paper lit, now retreating!
Toot toot
:D :D :mad: :D :D

UnderPowered
8th Sep 2001, 00:02
Flying IN the Gripen, John, flying IN the Tornado, John

Its not gonna work here, old chap....

Standing By Thankyousir
8th Sep 2001, 01:46
Don't know what a/c type you are planning on plugging into...but a word of advice. The 'tie mic in ear cone method' is by far the easiest and most effective, but on the Harrier T10 you have to decide whose voice you want to record, for some reason your own intercom mic does not play back in your own ears...so if you want to record yourself, stick the mic in the other persons helmet or in your helmet if you want to hear them.

Don't think this is a problem on the other RAF FJ's.

Hope this makes sense!

Sumo664
8th Sep 2001, 20:10
No FJ - it'll be a Lynx or a Gazelle (unless you're offering a T10 ride) and if I remember correctly I do get to hear myself in the helmet (hmm now I can't remember!).
Doh

Splosh
9th Sep 2001, 19:22
Of course you can hear yourself in the T10 - do you really think they'd build an aircraft where the Harrier mate can't hear how good he sounds? ;-)