PDA

View Full Version : Resume

Albie72
30th Nov 2009, 08:23
Hey Guys,
Just writing my resume atm. Just wondering if anyone has advice on what to put on it and what not to put on it. Eg, Hours, types flown etc.....
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Di_Vosh
30th Nov 2009, 08:40
This topic comes up every few months.

See this thread:

Doesn't start off well, but if you read through it it has plenty of good advice.

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/392010-i-need-vent-cv-rage.html

This one has a few links that are useful

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/376311-cvs.html

Plenty more threads out there that cover this topic :ok:

DIVOSH!

huntsman
30th Nov 2009, 10:04
try sticking $2000 cash on the front - that should help you get noticed!!!

snoop doggy dog
30th Nov 2009, 10:52
Private & Confidential

snoop doggy dog

69 Mt Druitt Road MT DRUITT NSW AUSTRALIA 2770
TELEPHONE 02 9675 6969 MOBILE 0402 737 747
Email snoop.doggy.dog AT mtdruitt.com.au
DOB 1st April, 1969

PPL TT 12058 PIC 1089 ME 976 ME CMD 959 Turbine 75 Night 5237 Instrument 147 CMEIR 21 renewals Endorsement Bongo, Campavan

Oh Yer I Made It Airlines
Campavan Captain/ First Officer
AUG 04 - present

Cracka Tinnie Charters
Money Maker First Officer & Bongo Captain/ Second Officer
APR 95 - AUG 04

Dodgie Bobs'
Texas C152 Third Officer
APR 89 - APR 95

References

DODGIE BOB
CHIEF PILOT
Dodgie Bobs'
Hells Crack
Ph 08 9168 9222

RICARHD HEAD
CHECK CAPTAIN
Cracka Tinnie Charters
Horn Island
Ph 07 4040 1222

It hasn't centred as I had wanted and I'm phucked at secretary stuff :mad:. It should have centred all the stuff above :mad:

Keep it short and sharp for jobs at the early stages mate. Everyone has parameters, including aircraft operators. If you suit, they call. It's a brief introduction of what you have to offer and at the end of the day, your keen-ness and attitude will get you over the line :ok:. Haven't done it for a while, so I can only go off what I and my mates at the time did. PM if you like cobber.

Don't worry too much though ;). I think shortly that operators will need to resort to the methods adopted by the Royal Navy in the 1700 and 1800's. So make sure you don't get too p!ssed when out and about, as you may end up behind the controls of a some sh!tbox when you come too flying to Bum Phuck Island :).

I have wanted to help a young fella.

Everything is only as good as the foundations.

So guys that have been around a while need to look after the ones at the bottom :ok:

the air up there
30th Nov 2009, 11:46
Also pays to put down any information relevent to a specific employer.

ie, find out what type of aircraft they have, if you have any time on that type, put it on. If you dont, just put single, multi and total time.

eternity
30th Nov 2009, 12:08
snoop,

too true what you say. Helping each other is essentially the way to go forward.

And thanks for the comedy in the mock resume mate - after the day I had I needed a good laugh.

On a serious note, I have always been told that you only submit a 3 page resume of you have 3 pages worth of extensive experience.
If your a new chap out of school, then maybe the one page resume is the way to go..

Eternity

the air up there
30th Nov 2009, 14:24
And please, just cause you have flown a C182 or the like, don't tell me at every opportunity that it means you'll have an easier transition to the 210.

Two very different aircraft, although the 210 is simple to fly once you get your head around it.

So guys that have been around a while need to look after the ones at the bottom

So true. How hard is it to say, I did this, go try here, Tom said this....etc.

The solidarity must start somewhere. No better feeling either than lifting a younng guys day when he's been told :mad: off by every operator on the field and you can turn around make his day by giving him some friendly advice "Lose the uniform mate, you look like a tool", go smart casual. Don't look like you've just stepped on your surfboard.

BGS
30th Nov 2009, 23:39
"Lose the uniform mate, you look like a tool", go smart casual.

Good advice, although not always true. At an interview with a cp in darwin, I went smart casual and was told "If the owner saw you come in for an interview not in your uniform, he would tell you to leave straight away."

Best way to get a heads up is to talk to some of the pilots already working at the places you are targeting.

snoop doggy dog
1st Dec 2009, 02:28
Not sure what the 182/ 210 thing is about?

Had a few hours on the mighty 182 before I flew a money maker (206). Thought they were pretty much the same, except one was a bit heavier than the other. The 210 has gear that goes up and down. I wouldn't expect it to be much different to the 182 apart from that and the weight.

You always come accross incompetant people justifying their existance in aviation. You can't fly this aircraft if you don't have this or that........ blah blah blah... :ugh:

A fella gave me a break flying his twin around. I had maybe 150 - 200 hours at the time. I had no astronaut time, lunar landings or even 27 take-off and landings in a rocketship, let alone 50 hours total twin. Show you are keen (doesn't mean arse kissing), a hard worker and do the best you can every time. There is always d!ckheads about in aviation :ugh:. Keep your attitude positive, happy, and get on with it. Every thing is temporary.

Make every post a winner and remember, the harder you work, the luckier you get. :ok:

All the best to you guys :) The knock backs just make it so much better when you land the jobs you want along the way :ok:

Albie72
8th Dec 2009, 05:03
Thanks for the help guys, all comments have been noted.
Few questions:
Is it better to email it in or if suitable drop the resume in in person?
I only converted on to the glass cockpit to fly a plane (only one i could get my hands on) for about 25hrs, is it worth noting that i have flown a glass cockpit or don't bother?

apache
8th Dec 2009, 05:14
ALBIE...

do YOU think that "glass cockpit experience" will be relevant, or useful to ANY prospective employer?

if NOT,then don't bother mentioning it.

soseg
8th Dec 2009, 08:54
Sorry to side track...

What's the go with calling up operators who are far away?
I have been told by some people to call up operators interstate and just have a chat, tell them you're interested in driving by and are just wondering at the possible status of jobs over the coming few months.... while on other side I have read on these forums some employers hate being annoyed that way with phone calls?

I'm all for driving up north or wherever I'll plan to go and doing it all face to face... but I'm talking about just getting a heads up, or more so - about towns and places that wont be in my planned driving route... i.e. places a few hundred km left or right of my planned track which may not be practical to drive to?

VH-XXX
8th Dec 2009, 09:52
If I had spent my hard earned cash on 25 hours in a glass cockpit I think I would write it in my resume, no idea why anyone would think otherwise. Not everyone drives steam driven 60's models these days!

snoop doggy dog
8th Dec 2009, 12:07
I think it will help Albie72 putting it in there if you want to look like a idiot or dikhead going for those first jobs :ok:

Don't email :ok: Be sure to drop it in in person. Make sure you wear your best thongs, blue stubbies and truckie singlet (blue of course) when you deliver it :ugh: First impressions count remember :D

I remember a mate telling me when he was a CP, he had a resume from a fella saying "if you want the best pilot there is, you had better hire me." The guy was a idiot and I'm sure he still is.

You will have plenty of time to develop you ego during your aviation career mate. Most leave it till their a big fish in a small pond. Some just can't help themselves I suppose :).

tail wheel
8th Dec 2009, 21:44
Employers generally have an order of priority in the specific qualifications they seek, which can often be gleened from the position vacant advert.

For example, they may seek the following order of priorities:

Total hours
Type endorsements
Turbine time
Remote area experience

Focus on responding to those priorities in "dot points" and minimise your comment on any other factors. Nothing worse than a long, detailed but mostly irrelevent resume! :{

I must have read thousands of resumes over the past forty years. Twenty years ago I received a pilot resume neatly bound in a folder. The first page was was a Playboy centerfold with the notation: "Now I have your attention, please read on....."

The pilot applicant got employed! :}

training wheels
12th Dec 2009, 03:11
Just a minor thing, but when you're applying for a job where you know the boss, do you still write the application formally and start with "Dear Mr XXXX".

Or would you address the boss on first name basis as you normally do?

Eg; "Dear Bob .. " etc..

Angle of Attack
12th Dec 2009, 04:44
If I knew the boss I would not even write a covering letter, but I guess it depended on how much you knew him/her! If you just know them a little it could be "Dear Bob" or if you are drinking buddys you could just have the covering letter saying "Hey Ba$tard read this!"

Seriously though if you knew them do the covering letter part by talking to them then just drop of the raw resume, they probably would prefer that than reading a letter! :ok:

training wheels
12th Dec 2009, 05:35
Cheers for the advice, AoA :)

B747ERNG
15th Dec 2009, 23:12
Hi all,

With 250hr CPL I know I have to keep my CV as short as possible.
My question is, if I don't have any previous work experience as a pilot, do I still have to mention my other work history in the past few years?

cheers:ok:

apache
16th Dec 2009, 02:01
you don't HAVE to mention it, but if you have some skills which a future employer might ALSO like, then it can't hurt.
Also, it explains what you have been doing rather than :

2005-2009 : Mummy and Daddy paid for my flying training
1993-2005 : school, where I was captain of the tiddlywinks team.

dogcharlietree
16th Dec 2009, 08:51
Nothing worse than a long, detailed but mostly irrelevent resume!
I once read a resume from a female applicant for a pilot position, that was about 20 pages long. It went into (almost) every detail of schooling, sports and every other facet of her life EXCEPT aviation.
I read the application at least twice before passing it to a colleague asking him, does this girl have a pilots licence? We concluded that nowhere in the application was there any mention of her flying experience and qualifications.
MORAL: K.I.S.S.

training wheels
16th Dec 2009, 09:09
We concluded that nowhere in the application was there any mention of her flying experience and qualifications.
MORAL: K.I.S.S.

.. and let me guess. She got the job! :)

BULLDOG 248
17th Dec 2009, 01:54
The KISS theory worked for me............ Plus a little bit of homework of what type of beer the boss loved.... So I attached my 1 page CV to a slab of his finest. It was a long time ago, but I think I dropped it off on the friday morning, got a phone call by lunchtime saying I got the job and to come back that arvo to start Induction Training....Which ended up with me drinking half of my slab anyway. Best $20 I'd ever spent.

flyhardmo
17th Dec 2009, 02:27
At my old job I was tasked with looking through a few CV's. Generally we would look at TT, type ratings, area's and types of operation. All of the other stuff was only looked at if they were short listed as there were so many applicants.
Don't go over board on a CV, one page is plenty so if you can't fit it all on one page then you have too much info. Try trolling some aviation employment sites and copy the structure and idea's from someone else.
However to tell you the truth we rarely hired people off ther CV's. Most of the people hire were the ones who popped in to say hello and offer and basically sold themselves.
Words of wisdom. DON'T go into a job thinking you know it all. DON'T tell them that in training you did it this way or that your old company did it like this. Those sort of suggestions can come after a few months in the company when you know the reason for doing things a certain way. Nothing worse than trying to train a cocky prick who thinks a CPLIR/frozen ATPL gives them the right to start questioning aircraft operating procedures.:= Its their train set, do it their way.

Xcel
17th Dec 2009, 11:34
Some people dont have enough hours in the day to spend looking at resumes anyway... how about if it is a ga job - as others have said
- 1 page
- relevant ime on type of company aircraft or just TT/single/me/night
- if you have a licence other than car
- attached slab of beer

most of the time it is finding someone they can get along with and they know listens enough to not put one in the dirt... it isnt rocket science

and most of the time it is pure luck that joe bloggs just put in notice (or no notice) and you just happened to walk through the door...