PDA

View Full Version : Many Happy Returns

kbf1
1st Sep 2001, 23:32
Happy birthday to the AAC, which is 44 years old today.

"Army aviation during the Second World War comprised the Glider Pilot Regiment and the Parachute Regiment. The RAF also operated a number of Air Observation Post (AOP) squadrons using light aircraft flown by Army pilots. The RAF AOP squadrons were again used in the Korean War. On 1 September 1957 all Army air units were transferred from Air Ministry control to War Office and the Army Air Corps was thus founded. In 1970 the AAC became an autonomous branch within the Amy. The Army Air Corps has since participated in the Falklands War of 1982, the Gulf War of 1991 and more recently in Bosnia for the United Nations."

Thud_and_Blunder
2nd Sep 2001, 06:13
kbf1,

I'm sure that part of your motive for posting this was to provoke some narrow-minded member of either of the senior UK mil flying organisations into banter or worse. However, I shall avoid the temptation and join you in wishing the AAC and all who travail within a Happy Birthday. I enjoyed my 3 years 'on loan', and found many of the misconceptions so dear to my parent service to be wholly without foundation.

(er, some of the 'mis'conceptions turned out actually to be true, but it would be churlish, nay childish, to go into those now, eh :D?)

MightyGem
2nd Sep 2001, 06:41
T & B, not wishing to start a general argument on this auspicious occasion, I'll whisper this so as only you can hear it.
As an ex sapper(Royal Engineer to you), I know that the Army is the Senior flying service, cos we started it all in the dim and distant past.
:D

YakYak
2nd Sep 2001, 15:32
KB - sweetie.

Would you be so kind as to drop me an email, I have some things AAC related that I would like to chat with you about.

No nasty banter involved, promise.

Yakkers xxx ;)

BEagle
2nd Sep 2001, 17:12
Yes - Happy Birthday to the AAC 'brown job' mates! Let's hope that Bwigadier Sir Hardly Bloody-Worthitt or whoever is in charge in the future will ensure your continuing existence.

And I guess it was indeed the Womans' Auxiliary Balloon Corps arm of the RE who started the whole military aviation thing going!

[ 02 September 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

kbf1
2nd Sep 2001, 23:51
T&B.....bait the Crabs? Moi? why I do believe that inferiority complex of yours is playing itself out on this forum, and as for narrow minded..... :D

BTW mate, you aren't a parachute enthusiast are you?

Thud_and_Blunder
3rd Sep 2001, 10:41
KayBeeEff,

Parachutes? Finished with them after hurling myself out of the Beaver a few times over Cyprus in 1975 - my insurance company has no loading for aircrew but refuses to allow parrot-shooting.

Spent a very pleasant couple of hours last week flying the people that use them up to 10,000 feet over Borneo and watching them plummet from my fully-serviceable 212. The weather up there was a cool, balmy 28 degrees...

Gem,

Your service may have invited some Spam over to show you how to start off, but once it got serious you did the right thing and handed it over to the professionals... :D :D ;)

See you at Helitech, maybe

floppyjock
3rd Sep 2001, 14:37
kbf1
If the AAC is only 44 years old who were you with before that ?

kbf1
4th Sep 2001, 02:46
T&B, thought you may have been a crab mate posted to one of the sqns stuck in the ex- Harrier base in the Fatherland who enjoyed a bit of recreational meat-bombing at weekends.

FJ...2nd (Reserve)Reg't Womens Auxilliary Ballon Corps, but I thought you would have known that being the Adjutant? Hang on.....are you trying to say that I am an old wrinkly fart like Wholigan? I'll have you know I am only 77! :p :eek: ;) :D

OldBonaMate
4th Sep 2001, 03:12
Do balloons count? I thought they only floated. :rolleyes: