PDA

View Full Version : Canada SAR and Cormorant

Pat Gerard
1st Sep 2001, 17:15
Any one from Comox or Quebec who flew PP8 and PP9 with me in Scotland ?

Have you started to receive your aircrafts yet ?

Mike Thelight, where are you ?

Please let me know if you have started to ferry a/c across yet, and how it is......

sprucemoose
4th Sep 2001, 13:57
Word at Paris air show was that the first two aircraft were just about to start their ferry flights, but for some reason (I think it's been given as preparing flight manuals or something equally vital) it's all gone quiet. Would be interested also if anyone has any update on this.

SARBoy Loser
5th Sep 2001, 13:19
Any info on how there going to get a stretcher in the front door as the winch is wrong the place I belive! :rolleyes:

Spur Lash
5th Sep 2001, 23:23
Hi,
I believe the Canadian Comorant has a winch fitted forward of the cargo door. The present position, as on the MK3,(Westlands, did you pay any attention to your experience on the Sea King and Wessex?)is as a back up winch. The Nordic boys will have it fwd as well. The RAF will have it....

Oh well.

Low and Slow
7th Sep 2001, 15:29
Spur Lash:

Talk to Agusta, not Wasteland. They're the DA on the SAR mods, or so I was told.

Is the UK even buying SAR Merlin??

sprucemoose
7th Sep 2001, 17:36
I don't think UK is getting or has requested a SAR capability from its Merlins - check with Agusta for Canada, because the Italians are building their aircraft!

Seak1ng
9th Sep 2001, 00:56
Unfortunately, although we hwve not requested one yet, the Mighty Sea King is starting to get a little long in the tooth and soon due for replacement. :(
What we need to replace it is a medium lift SAR aircraft - probably one built in the UK.
Unfortunately this does rather shorten the list to one aircraft. Preliminary tests allegedly have been performed and reports written.
Watch this space.... :eek:

Tourist
9th Sep 2001, 12:35
The problem with merlin sar is not the winch, but the downdraft which will drown/blow off the cliff anyone beneath the disc

Low and Slow
9th Sep 2001, 20:03
Tourist,

Who says there is a problem with Merlin downdraft? What report and by who?
Not only does he maths on that statement, look pretty dodgy, (remember SAR- NOT troop lift weights) but Canada did not agree and not did Portugal. I believe that reports have shown that Merlin has less downdraft at operational weight, than a Puma or a SeaKing.

I haven't got time to sit down and re-do the maths, but give it a go yourself and tell me what you get.

Tourist
9th Sep 2001, 20:56
Maths is all very well, but empirical evidence, ie looking at what happens to anything it hovers near, would suggest that it has considerably more downdraft, at least in Merlin guise than a seaking. I certainly would not want to be under it. Anyway, in my book of maths, small rotor disc and far greater weight add up to more wind.?
:confused:

[ 09 September 2001: Message edited by: Tourist ]

OOPS 78
9th Sep 2001, 21:14
Recently saw two members of wastelands being very humiliated by the Norwegians. seems that Wasters thought that they were in with aa shout for a new norgy helo. The decision is to be made in 2 weeks time. However the guy who is making the decision presented to the sar sqn a picture of an NH90 in SAR colours with the caption, here's to the future. The Wasters were not amused, but we were.
:p :p :p :p :p :p

Sven Sixtoo
11th Sep 2001, 16:00
Tourist, Low n slow, SARBoy loser, Seak1ng

Try the letter, distributed to all UKSAR Units, entitled "Merlin in the SAR Role" or some such, written by the Rotary Wing OEU. :cool:

Pat Gerard
17th Sep 2001, 06:55
Tourist

The downdraft should be not be a problem if you hover at 100 feet.

Hengist Pod
17th Sep 2001, 14:44
That should make life easy then.

Not!