PDA

View Full Version : BA Cabin Crew Industrial Relations, Ex BA Engineers Opinions.

Litebulbs
28th Nov 2009, 20:45
Hi,

Just a question to what people in my position feel about what is going on at BA. When I was there, engineers were constantly moaning about crew and their T&C's. However, we were constantly moaning about why we were shafted.

Now, there is another thread running somewhere on here, that is discussing this issue, with many varied opinions. It is a very good read, where the majority of posters, whether they be managers or pilots, want so smash BASSA and the terms and conditions that the people that they represent earn.

I am a deferred pensioner, who does have something to loose with what is going on, hence the question.

What do you think about it? Discuss.

Litebulbs
28th Nov 2009, 22:38
I mean, would you leave your union and enter into a non collective bargaining agreement with BA?

Litebulbs
28th Nov 2009, 23:36
This is shameless on my behalf!

Litebulbs
29th Nov 2009, 18:45
Would you allow a new starter contract into your department, whereby, the top level of pat would not be achievable to all?

TURIN
29th Nov 2009, 19:24
Would you allow a new starter contract into your department, whereby, the top level of pat would not be achievable to all?

All ready happens.

There are so many on red ringed pay now that there is no such thing as a standard payment anymore.

I think you're arguing with yourself Litebulbs.

Litebulbs
29th Nov 2009, 19:37
Absolutely arguing with myself, but I doubt that there is much red ringed money left. There has not been many takeovers in the last few years.

TURIN
29th Nov 2009, 19:46
Red ringed pay is not just the result of takeovers.
EG When restructuring made us either a Technician or LAE there were quite a few SAEs, CLTs and Lead Tradesman who were all lumped together on similar grades but because of License pay etc, red ringed pay became the norm. I stil get mine, 15 years or so after restructuring.

Fargoo
29th Nov 2009, 19:47
but I doubt that there is much red ringed money left

There are plenty still sitting on red ringed money, hence the comment above. New starters in Engineering have been on lower money/worse conditions for some years now.

Litebulbs
29th Nov 2009, 21:13
Worse terms and conditions? Pensions maybe, but that is a UK wide thing. As far as I know, all engineering are on the same T&C's, but some have protected benefits.

Fargoo
29th Nov 2009, 22:05
all engineering are on the same T&C's

Not true by a long stretch unfortunately

Litebulbs
30th Nov 2009, 10:20
When was restructuring, 1993 (BPR?)? The thing with restructuring was that the majority won. Technicians at BA are the best paid in the country by a long way. LAE's etc are not. What was the split back then 80:20?

The groups in Engineering are split by qualification, where in the cabin crew community, they are not.

TURIN
30th Nov 2009, 22:58
The groups in Engineering are split by qualification, where in the cabin crew community, they are not.

Not so sure about that.

CSD/Purser etc are they just grades or is qualification required to gain such a position?

Litebulbs
1st Dec 2009, 21:36
Fair point, but do you have to pass exams prior to gaining those ranks, or is that part of the training requirement? Also, is that a CAA or company requirement?

TinyTim2
15th Dec 2009, 09:16
I left BA 5 years ago , as a senior Lae on top money , but I had two techs who had so much red ring money they earnt more than I did , Had better Staff travel and were treated like members of the family . I wasn't , I earned less and was had to fly "down the back" on every flight..........Oh am I little bitter , well not anymore....I now live in the real world and have even moved my pension away from them . Leaving BA was the best thing I ever did , It could be a wonderful company and still has lots of really good people but it is spoilt by the small minded people who insist the old ways are always right and must be maintained at any cost , it's time for them to wake up and smell the coffee......................:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Litebulbs
15th Dec 2009, 11:38
I came out of my time in 89, and never had any red ring money as a tech. The restructure was 93, but I wasn't a CLT till 95/6, so missed out on red ringing as a cert. The top paid techs are on around £38K, and the top paid LAE's £45K? (prob wrong with that figure).

If BA folds, then restarts, if the make market rate the new pay level, there could be a slight reduction for techs and a pay rise for LAE's.

NutLoose
15th Dec 2009, 12:02
BA cabin crews actions are the equivalent to leaving all the taps running and plugs in on a sinking ship....

Hope they remember their wages when they are queuing up for their P45's

mrmagooo
15th Dec 2009, 12:40
Nutloose I think you are only too right, at best it will result in redundancies, at worst it could spell the end of BA. How many people will now avoid BA for future travel arrangements?

All it needs is for a rival operator to offer similar flights at the price people had paid at BA and the public would flock to them.....

If this strike happens, the papers are reporting it may cost around £300M, ontop of the £292M already lost in the first 6 months leaves a loss of £592M. Can ANY airline afford this type of loss??

Sonic Bam
15th Dec 2009, 13:34
What's the betting the Bearded One does just that in the next few days .....

Good on him if he does.