PDA

View Full Version : Berlin Question

Pace
28th Nov 2009, 08:08
Hi my boss wants to go to Berlin for 3 days and mentioned Tegel. This is in a small business jet. I believe there are problems with Tegal and parking restrictions?
Which is the best Berlin airport to use and which agents?

Thanks

Pace

TWOTBAGS
28th Nov 2009, 09:11
With THF closed you have two choices, SXF in the south further from the city but cheaper parking and handling, or TXL which is more expensive but a lot closer to downtown.

Denti
28th Nov 2009, 10:36
TXL is closest to the city now that THF is regrettably closed, however there are only very few parking positions available, something like 4 or so for GA aircraft. Dunno about handling agents, we do use globe ground and used to use AHS, but that is for airline handling.

Pace
28th Nov 2009, 11:28
Thanks for the replies and PM.

Looks like it will have to be SXF as there is too much uncertainty on parking at TXL.

Pace

Kerosene Kraut
30th Nov 2009, 14:15
Schönefeld would be the typical choice for a business jet. However if they make you park on the southern side aprons it can be quite a distance to the north terminal side where you have all the infrastructure like cabs, restaurant, rental cars and Rail/S-Bahn station. Worse than Tempelhof but still not too far away from the city.

If you are looking for a smaller rural airfield place consider Schönhagen to the southwest of Schönefeld. Expanded quite a bit.

And the "secret suggestion" would be Eberswalde-Finow, northeast of Berlin pretty close to the Autobahn Szczecin-Berlin. A former soviet fighter base. Don't know about fuel and recent services but there you can get a nuke proof hangar.

TWOTBAGS
30th Nov 2009, 20:20
Finow is ok if your business is in the north of the city about 45 mins to the city and its Autobahn most of the way. However facilities are basic and ground transport would need to be arranged.

Dont know what you are flying but there was a 30t weight limit @ Finow for a while and then it was raised to 50t and later 86t in hope of attracting the low-cost guys. I have not seen anything in writing stating what it is now.

ericthepilot
30th Nov 2009, 20:39
If you have a handler, we use Universal, we coordinated through the local people to get PPR on parking for our G5, and it was no problem. give them advance notice of your arrival time and days staying and they can coordinate this with you.
The airport is very convenient to the city and major roads to get around town. My first choice.
Good luck

Pace
1st Dec 2009, 16:26
Thanks 4 all the info we are going into SXF while Trying for a clearance into TXL. The jet is a C550 Citation 2.
There friday back sunday.

Again thanks all

Pace