PDA

View Full Version : is this or isn't this an issue??

Jackbr
28th Nov 2009, 03:48
:confused:

As far as I know, most if not all airlines require their Flight Attendants to sit in the brace position for take off/landing and do a silent review. However, came across this video from an Olympic flight (the part im talking about is from 42 seconds onwards)....

P2H5NpBt80k

I understand the guys just having a bit of fun, but would this actually be considered a big deal by a CSM/Purser/Lead Flight Attendant? would the consequences be just a short talking to, or more serious?

Pegasus747
28th Nov 2009, 04:09
well it would appear a little unprofessional even if meant to be light hearted. Would probably result in a "chat" with the safety dept and a reminder of the seriousness of critical stages of flight and FA responsibilities during those periods.

Some airlines do not even allow the use of electronic devices like digital cameras during take off and landing. I guess its nice for the home video or holiday video but the camera man hasnt done the crew member any favours by posting it on the net, even when the FA would just trying to play along and have some fun

TightSlot
28th Nov 2009, 08:04
Personally, I thought the baby came out of it best...

Golden Ticket
28th Nov 2009, 08:22
Wouldn't adopt the brace position but would do a silent review, doesn't take the whole of the approach though. Agree though that it does look unprofessional and would probably have a quiet chat later. I would have taken more issue with him not telling the passenger to switch of the video camera. On the airline I work for all electronic equipment is off for take off and landing.

mad_jock
28th Nov 2009, 08:26
As a pilot and I was sitting near by and saw this happening I would

a) smile
b) think that's lad enjoy's his job.
c) h'mm this is a first a Greek with a sense of humour.

He is strapped in and next to the door so no safety issue. Showing good pax interaction and making the flight a memorable one for those customers. I am sure if anyone had been looking scared he would have stopped. But to be honest anyone seeing him do that would have probably been reassured that everything was normal if a bit bumpy.

No doubt though there will be some barbed wired wearing knickers bitch from hell CC manager who will stamp down on this outbreak of moral now its been highlighted on the internet.

Jackbr
28th Nov 2009, 10:07
I'm surprised that not all airlines have the crew brace ("relaxed" brace position") for the take off/landing roll. I'm positive Qantas does for ALL landings and take off's

Blue Rotor Ronin
28th Nov 2009, 11:24
Not an issue. No safety compromise. Having a bit of fun with pax. What's wrong with that.:ugh:

Di_Vosh
29th Nov 2009, 19:46
Perish the thought that an FA is allowed to show one. :rolleyes:

Aussies used to be known for their relaxed attitude and sense of humour, but no longer I guess. :(

(From what I saw, the a/c had pretty much finished its landing by the time the FA started goofing around).

IMHO, whether a pax not being allowed to have their camcorders on for takeoff/landing is one of the more "difficult to enforce" regs. While many airlines have specific rules for this (QF being one of them) levels of enforcement vary.

IMHO, the most dangerous aspect of this is the possibility that the camcorder may become a missile in a sudden deceleration, or become a hindrance during a "brace" call. But the same could be said for a pax reading a book, magazine, or even holding a drink bottle, and none of that is banned during takeoff/landing.

My 2c.

DIVOSH!

AirborneSoon
29th Nov 2009, 20:54
Did I miss the memo about the world now being about finger pointing and ruining life for everyone? Are there really wowsers out there with nothing better to do than worry about some holiday footage?...:rolleyes:

Lets just hope no-one is looking over your shoulder at work eager to point out every thing you don't do to their satisfaction...:uhoh: I don't see anything very rough or scary about that landing. It's smooth as glass on the outside footage and the inside footage just looks like someone is jiggling a camera about to simulate cabin movement. It looks like a prank to me...:hmm:

AirSurfer
29th Nov 2009, 22:57
the lad is having a laugh, if i was him i would be more annoyed at having a video of me posted on the internet with out my consent!!!

some people need to get out more i.e the poster of the video, your still alive x

zerotohero
29th Nov 2009, 23:36
Friendly and happy cabin crew bonus!

pax not listening to turning off all electrical items for landing :ugh: now theres a supprise

someone actuly going out of there way to post this as a possible problem! priceless

for everything else there is a tosser somewhere to moan :D

boardingpass
29th Nov 2009, 23:38
I don't know of any airlines that have crew adopt the brace position for take off and landing. I have to agree with DiVosh... I'm Australian but it seems so many posters from aussies are all about the tut tut tut. Since when did larrikinism die and we all started taking ourselves so seriously? The video is funny and NO threat to anyones safety.

apaddyinuk
29th Nov 2009, 23:52
Jaysus....Id crap myself if I saw ANY crew member in the full brace position at any stage of a flight...id think there was something immediately wrong! LOL!

I think what many of you mean by the crew being in the brace position for TO and Landing is adopting a "semi" brace position...having your legs and feet in the correct place with your hands by your side/sitting on them/on your lap not interlocked or however it is in your airline!!!!

As for your man, well I dont think he did anything wrong. Personally id feel like a knob but bless him he was just keeping his passengers happy. Anyways, that was the old Olympic so whether or not he is still in a job there is probably an entirely new set of management looking after his department so Im sure he wont get into any trouble! And anyways, their A340's are no more!!!!!

Jackbr
30th Nov 2009, 00:40
RELAXED brace positin - back straight, hands with palms up under thighs or hands on knees, head straight if rear facing, bowed down forward facing - just to be ready incase something goes wrong suddenly, not an emergency brace position.

I'm not saying the guy is doing something wrong, my question was IS he doing something wrong. from what I've gathered, he isn't. however, when ever I fly Qantas, Jetstar etc and have a seat where the FA is visible, take off and landing, they ALWAYS sit in the above mentioned manner, and look to be blocking everything out and focussing on their review. In an incident such as the QF1 overun in BKK, the crew wouldn't have any idea anything is wrong until the aircraft had slowed down a fair bit and suddenly went over the runway. The accident report states the CSM had begun his welcome announcement when the aircraft went off, so the aircraft would have slowed significantly, more so than in this video, so by completely focussing and listening for anything slightly wrong, the crew can instantly react.

I'm not pointing the finger and saying the FA should be burned at the stake, I just wanted to know if this would be frowned upon, as it is not like what I'm used.

And although I'm not a Flight Attendant, my wife was for many years, which is what I'm basing much of this on.

SlideBustle
30th Nov 2009, 04:53
My personal opinion; he wasn't doing anything wrong really. I do think it is a tad unprofessional, and I wouldn't really do it (not right opposite a pax anyway!!), but I kinda feel sorry for him that he was innocently just having a bit of humour and bit of fun and this was placed on the internet now for the world (including management to see)

As for sitting in Brace positions on take off landing etc... my airline (a certain large airline operating out of London!) does have a procedure for the silent review, thinking about drills, commands, door operation, checking for hazards, where all your eqpt, alarm etc is near your crew station/door and sitting in ''the semi brace position'' with harness low and tight. It is a good idea though actually, even if some people might laugh, I always get into this position, and do have a think especially if I'm on an aircraft I haven't been on for a while or at a door position I don't often work at etc... Although with this guy he obviously wasn't doing that, whilst it's not the most professional thing, he was having abit of fun, and it wasn't as if he undone his harness or anything.. or did it through the approach...

Coopz67
5th Dec 2009, 19:37
Yeh it is an issue. Kids...will someone please give them their own wailing class preferably in cargo where they can't breathe.