PDA

View Full Version : ATC Spain ("direct to")

ALLSKY
26th Nov 2009, 22:22
Dear guys, it is clear that since more or les 10 days the Spain ATC ,specially in MAD and BCN area, has been instructed by somebody (Eurocontrol, politicians maybe?) to do not give any off route "direct to" to the aircrafts flying in their area.

Any spanish controllers here can give us a reason for that? With out any polemics off course, just to informed about the facts since this is a practice that result in a loss of fuel and time for the airlines and in an increase of CO2 emissions in the atmosphere.

Thanks in advance if somebody informed will answer..

Matteo

Liftdumper
27th Nov 2009, 13:44
Apparently the Spanish ATCO's have some labour issues.

Currently they are understaffed so they need to work overtime on a regular basis. Overtime hours are paid very well. This gives the ATCO's an average of
225.000 euro's gross a year.

Now their employer wants to stop the understaffing, meaning that the salaries drop.

So for the moment no directs. And as well: on some SID's out of BCN you now have to maintain 6000 ft until passing NITBA, as published. In my 5 years flying out of BCN I have always received an instruction for an unrestricted climb. Until last week. Flying 8 miles at 6000 ft. Ridicilous.

ALLSKY
30th Nov 2009, 20:28
Hi lift, thanks a lot for your reply! That clarify the situation!

D O Guerrero
2nd Dec 2009, 05:52
It's unbelievable... I've been flying over Spain quite a bit recently and they are even worse than they normally are. Which is quite an achievement.
I'm not entirely sure how mucking pilots and passengers around, while wasting thousands of tons of fuel, is going to help their cause?

the dean
2nd Dec 2009, 09:34
Si....had delay for the reason stated into Fuerteventura a week ago and again on return. thats not very pleasant when your ETA is 2230 and that becomes after 2300 and you face a two plus hour drive home in fog...:(

so thanks spanish ATC..:*

que le vaya bien...