PDA

View Full Version : Tour de Afrique

His dudeness
26th Nov 2009, 18:44
Hello Gents,

my boss decided to do a trip in January or February....

.... DAAG - DGAA - DXXX - FOOL - FZAA - HTDA - HESN ....

Kite is a C680 Sovereign.

Any advise on HOTAC, Handling, overflight permit problems etc appreciated, as I have only limited experience in Africa.

Well stay most likely one night at each destination.

Thanks,

h_d

ab33t
26th Nov 2009, 19:22
I always use a handling agent they will take care of the over fly permits , landing fuel etc , to do this yourself will be a mountain to climb not impossible but loads of hurdles .

Cecco
27th Nov 2009, 19:07
Hi H_D, we went to Africa with a CJ1+ in May and going there again in 10 days (HSSS...HKJK...FLLS...FALA...FNLU...FCBB). We had a dispatch agency in Germany taking care of us; the hardest thing is to find a working fax or internet station to receive your new flightlogs...the local handling agent often needs to refile the flight plan even if your dispatcher takes care of it so have a copy ready when paying the fees...if uncertain of departure time have your flightplan rather filed too early than too late. The overflight/landing permits are usually valid for 24 hours; if you postpone your flight for some hours, no problem. However, if you want to go earlier, a new permit has to be requested...have lots of cash with you (at least 12K USD) and in 50/20 bills...have fuel releases organised by your dispatcher that's a must! R/T is different, no radar vectors but radials, fly 1 or 2 NM right of the airway when on cruising altitude, use 126.9 to transmit your position on the airway, have general declaration forms ready (you find them on google: ICAO general declaration form), you will use your enroute charts a lot to look up frequencies cos often your radio suddenly goes quiet, be self-reliant: we had 40 1/2 bottles of mineral water, crackers and dry fruit, no hassle to get catering and the locals will ask for drinks/food before asking for money...
Eat no salad and drink only bottled water! Enjoy the local beers! Can't give you too much advise on HOTAC, take a mosquito net with you. Generally, Africa is not as bad as you might expect, be prepared and show up early before a flight...Have fun! Cecco