PDA

View Full Version : New Twin Otter Series 400 Flight Compartment

V1... Ooops
26th Nov 2009, 13:26
For those of you who would like to see a photo of the new Twin Otter flight compartment with the Honeywell Apex avionics, there is a large photo posted on the Viking Air website - click here (http://www.vikingair.com/uploadedImages/News/News_Item/Final%20Certification%20Press%20Release%20Photo%202.jpg).

There are no longer any switches or electrical components on the roof (other than the dome light) - just power, prop, fuel, and flaps up there.

Cardinal Puff
26th Nov 2009, 15:07
Very nice, Orville.

What's it for...?:}

Propstop
26th Nov 2009, 17:41
I see the rudder pedals are still D H. I realise this is a modified -300, but would be nice to see them on the new production version, if only for sake of nostalgia.
Overall definately a nice looking cockpit layout.

ab33t
26th Nov 2009, 20:18
Great pic , very surprised to see except for the glass everything still looks DH

V1... Ooops
27th Nov 2009, 02:16
I see the rudder pedals are still D H.... would be nice to see them on the new production version

To the best of my knowledge, they will be the very same part (thus same appearance) on the Series 400 production aircraft. There are very few changes to parts that are made "out of metal" - in other words, 99% of the changes between the 300 and 400 are electrical and avionics. For sure nothing has changed with the flight controls.

seper
27th Nov 2009, 05:13
i wonder where the new location of the fire handles are,it used to be on the center console.Noticed a nice huge a/c gasper for each pilot,cool!

V1... Ooops
27th Nov 2009, 08:42
The old fire T-handles have been replaced with illuminated push-switches that are located on either side of the flight director controller (basically, same place as the T-handles used to be). They have a clear guard over the button, this allows the illuminated warning to be seen but prevents accidental discharge. Functionality is identical to the old T-handles, checklist procedures are unchanged.

Melax
27th Nov 2009, 23:52
I love glass cockpits but I still want my set of primary conventional (vacuum + electric) instruments as back-up. Can you imagine flying this thing when the displays are blank !!??

V1... Ooops
28th Nov 2009, 03:47
There is an ESIS (Electronic Standby Instrument System) located directly above the fuel control panel, directly inboard of the left pilot's audio panel.

It is powered by its own independent battery (located in the empennage of the aircraft, minimum 6 hours endurance, which is about the same as the maximum fuel endurance of the aircraft), has its own magnetometer, and is totally isolated from all other aircraft systems. The ESIS comprises the small display, an integral air data and attitude reference system, and the dedicated magnetometer. It displays attitude, airspeed, altitude, and magnetic heading.

Boeing uses the exact same part number ESIS on the BBJ.

Cardinal Puff
28th Nov 2009, 08:20
Can you imagine flying this thing when the displays are blank?

Look out the window perhaps...?

Somewhat trickier in Nanook's back yard, I agree.

FlyTCI
2nd Dec 2009, 01:38
Any date for expected delivery of #1? Is it still going to Zimex?

V1... Ooops
2nd Dec 2009, 05:10
Latest press release is here: Viking in the Final Phase of Certification Effort (http://www.vikingair.com/content.aspx?id=2051)

avionimc
3rd Dec 2009, 09:57
Will an upgrade be possible, from the 300 series to the Honeywell Apex avionics configuration? Or would the cost be to high?