PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about an old strip at Shortland NSW?

Rojer Wilco
26th Nov 2009, 06:53
Does anyone know about an old strip at the end of Ironbark Creek Rd Shortland in NSW?

It's oriented 03/21.

Co-ords are 32'53'0S 151'40'17E.

In particular I'm interested in a permission contact if it's still in use.

Thanks in advance...

morno
26th Nov 2009, 07:13
That's the old Wallsend Airstrip.

Can't help with a contact though sorry.

Have landed there years ago, and you have big high tension powerlines to the western side of the strip, and a tower to the right.

morno

Triple Captain
26th Nov 2009, 09:29
Its over Fletcher way.

There were planes parked there a few years back. Aparently the owner is a bit cranky / weird. (Surprise surprise for aviation)

Correct about the power lines.

Horatio Leafblower
26th Nov 2009, 09:46
I think the Wallsend strip is now owned by a syndicate.

The homepage: Wallsair Home (http://www.quicksilveraircraft.com.au/QUICKSILVERAIRCRAFT/Wallsair_Home.html)

The Aeroclub.com.au site: Wallsair (http://www.wallsair.com.au)

Spoke to the President about operating a charter into there once, he seemed like a good bloke :ok:

Fueldrum
26th Nov 2009, 10:55
I drove over there a few weeks ago to have a look. I can't see any way of accessing the strip. I can see the runway and windsock etc but how do I load my pax into the plane if they can't get from the street to the airfield?

Does anyone know how to access this airfield?

ad-astra
26th Nov 2009, 20:23
Google Earth is your friend!

Rojer Wilco
26th Nov 2009, 21:26
Many thanks everyone. This forum is such a wealth of info!

Swift6
26th Nov 2009, 21:54
Theres a locked gate. I flew in a few years ago when Clive was operating the helicopter school. Not sure if he is in action anymore.

It is a private field you would need to arrange for someone to be there so the gate can be unlocked for you, try this number from one of the websites.

Visiting Aircraft contact

the President John Murphy

(02) 4967 2819 or 0412 743889

Swift

ules
30th Nov 2009, 05:32
right next to my house !! :ok: turn right at the lights .. and u will arrive at the gate, (toll charges apply) must supply own boltcutters.:}
and yes plenty of action on the weekends, strip is small though no twins.:=