PDA

View Full Version : Shannon aerospace apprenticeship

decy
26th Nov 2009, 01:00
Hey everyone,,hope all is good

well heres my story,,after working since 2002 as a ramp agent in cork ive now decided to apply to shannon aerospace as an aircraft maintence technician apprentice, something ive thought about for a while,,im 25 now,,oh wait im 26 next week,,pushin on in terms of an apprenticeship, i just want to find out what the salary is for apprentices,,as ill have to relocate to shannon etc i just want to have a budget in mind for the next 2 years,,also ive seen a few different opinions on what the salary is for a newly qualified apprentice,,can anyone shed some light on that?

Really hoping to get into this line of work,,id love it

Flightmech
26th Nov 2009, 01:31
I stand to be corrected but I think 26 is too old to commence an apprenticeship, however there website lists the vacancies as "traineeships" so you never know. Good luck!

decy
26th Nov 2009, 01:43
i really hope im not too old,,,excitement down the jacks:(

VillWill
26th Nov 2009, 01:49
I can tell you straight up that you are not too old, i did my apprenticeship in SAL and there was plenty of guys in their 30's and 40's doing their time when i was there!
However i have heard that they are not offering permanent positions to apprentices once their training is completed. Just a rumour ive heard. As for the place itself you won't make much in the way of money working there but the training is top notch and most of the guys/gals are grand.

Best of luck with it.

decy
26th Nov 2009, 01:55
Phew VillWill thanks for that,,excitement back up again:)

can i ask what the whole selection process is like? is it really tough? and how long after applying do they usually get back to u?

can u give me some sort of estimate on apprentice salary?

thanks;)

jpoth06
26th Nov 2009, 14:49
Apprentices don't get paid much, usually around 9-12k ish from what I've heard.

zigmund
26th Nov 2009, 16:13
Im there so ill send you a pm now.

snn320
27th Nov 2009, 06:54
When i trained there was one guy in my class in his late 30's.So for sure your not to old.
As for the training i also agree with the above post that the training is very good.People that have completed there training in Shannon Aerospace and gone on to other Company's in Europe and other parts of the world are highly regarded because of the good training.One of the best places in Europe to train.
As for the Money..... i'm sorry to say its not great during training or after.

Best of luck

aviator001
17th Dec 2009, 15:20
traineeship and not an apprenticeship, big difference as regards experience, certification and time. i would not do a traineeship at any age. i would however say that at 26 if you do the 4 year apprenticeship you will be out of your time at 30 and hopefully have a licence by 31, thats not bad at all..