PDA

View Full Version : Initial Class 1 question regarding weight / body mass index / fitness

One9iner
25th Nov 2009, 16:44
First of all apoligies if this has already been answered.

Late January coming, I will be taking my initial class 1 medical. Having read what the medical involves, I'm comfortable that I should meet all the criteria; obviosuly I'm hoping there aren't any nasty shocks!

My only concern is how much BMI is taken into account.

In summary:

- I'm 6ft 1
- Roughly 15 stone. Medium build.
- I am fairly fit and healthy
- Generally exercise minimum 20 minutes per day
- Once a week I exercise for over an hour.
- Don't smoke (gave up Jan09)
- Get my 5 a day most days.

However when looking at the BMI graph of height vs weight, I'm apparantly 1.5 stone overweight ! :eek:

As a result I'm working hard to bring my weight down by increasing the amount of aerobic exercise I do.

Can anyone shed any light on how the medical people down at Gatwick look upon someone who is 'clinically' overweight - even if fitness levels are good?

Any info appreciated.

Regards

gingernut
25th Nov 2009, 16:57
1-9er, BMI is a rough predictor of future problems, and past posts would suggest that you really are at the margins, and very unlikely to have any concerns as regards your BMI.

In fact, I've not heard of anyone failing their class 1 on grounds of BMI alone. (Although BMI is directly related to how high the docs eyebrow elevates.)

Other factors, such as smoking, bp, waist circumference etc are probably more relevant.

Good luck, place a post when you've got your ticket.:)

ab33t
25th Nov 2009, 17:38
Dont think that will impact your medical , as stated cholestrol , sugar and obesity should send the warning signals