PDA

View Full Version : Worried about having to do CPL test Resit.

freqflyer23
25th Nov 2009, 14:15
I passed my CPL test first time - yay for me. I've been holding off sending off the forms to the CAA because I was planning to do my IR straight away and apply for them both together. Its been a while now and due to lack of finances and poor job prospects I've decided to just send off the forms for the CPL.

Bit of a problem though from my logbook and student training log I can see that I have only done 5:40 Instrument time out of 26 hours training for the CPL. As I understand it without An IR I should have done a minimum of 10 hours Instrument training as part of the CPL course. On the course I didn’t have any issues with the Instrument Flying as I had an imc before I started so my instructor didn’t spend much time dwelling on it and focussed on areas where I needed it.

I have all the forms and my logbook signed by the Head of Training at my FTO and the Skills test pass certificate from the examiner. But I’m worried that if I send these to the CAA they are going to say that my skills test pass is invalid as I didn’t have the 10 hours Instrument training before the test.

Has anyone else been in this situation or know anyone that has, what was the outcome?

Nashers
25th Nov 2009, 14:34
contact your school and ask them. i dont think you will have a problem as you dont do courses with less hours becuase you intend to to another one after it.

you may be getting confused with reducing the cpl by 10 hours if you already have an IR.

ab33t
25th Nov 2009, 15:31
You do have the 10 hours if you have an IMC

JUST-local
25th Nov 2009, 16:08
You have completed an approved course of training! Has your fto completed the form for you stating the minimum hours have been compled and signed your log book? if so you need not worry!

I am sure that the 10 hours instrument training is just that and it is not a requirment to have it logged as 10 hours actual, just like the IMC course is a minimum of 15 hours instrument flying training of which only 10 hours is actual. Sure someone could clarify this!

I did my IR first so got the reduced course :O

Good luck

Shunter
25th Nov 2009, 16:37
Excuse me, but having an IMC rating does NOT satisfy the requirements. A CPL course disregards anything to do with your IMC rating because all the training must form part of a "single and continuous course". You need the 10 instrument hours (unless you have an IR). If your school put you through a 170A and CPL skills test without having the 10 hours they're seriously out of order.

freqflyer23
25th Nov 2009, 16:42
Thanks for the responses.

The fto has signed my logbook and i've got the course completion certificate and all the forms are signed etc. I'm hoping its nothing to worry about because I really would'nt want to be paying for another test. Its a small fto, i was their only cpl student this year.

Lasors says that 10 hours instument is required as part of the CPL training for applicants without an IR like myself. I've only done 5:40 so my guess is that the CAA will reject the application. Im hoping that this just means I need to do a further 4:20 of instrument flying rather than redo the skills test.

Best thing to do I guess is go speak to the school.

Dane-Ger
25th Nov 2009, 16:53
There is a difference between the instrument time you log "under the hood" and instruction given on instrument flying. Your times are perfectly normal, as long as you have had the 10 hours of instruction on instrument flying as part of the course (which you will have) you will be fine.

You can have a lesson on instrument flying that lasts for 1 hour where only 40 mins is "instrument flying" the rest is taxing, briefs, possible instructor demo's etc, but the whole hour counts towards the 10 required, not just the 40 mins.

regards D-G