PDA

View Full Version : Hercs to be based in Cyprus?

Albert on Tour
4th Aug 2001, 17:09
Well, I haven't heard anything.

Cooperman
5th Aug 2001, 03:37
No, but the Falklands WAS mentioned though!

Moosa Aswayita! :)

Albert on Tour
6th Aug 2001, 13:15
Its just that Akrotiri has the rumour...but not a squeak at Lyneham.

Gainesy
6th Aug 2001, 15:02
Just a guess chaps, Maybe they will deploy to AKR when the J conversion courses ramp up?
They used to detach a bunch of Hercs from the OCU at Thorney Island to Akrotiri when I was there (1969-72) to avoid noise complaints from the Thorney locals. Four Hercs playing clockwork mice round the circuit all bloody night. :eek:

StopStart
6th Aug 2001, 18:08
The J course is pretty much all done in the sim.
As for Hercs in Cyprus it's clearly madness. Not only would we lose the Sunday/Monday redeyes but we'd also miss out on the joys of having to beg them to stay open 10 minutes longer so we can get in.
The idea of freight being flown in by big aeroplane and then put onto little aeroplanes is patently nonsense. Not only would the freight get to it's destination quicker but all those pax would miss out on the 6 hour slog from UK to Akro before another 5 hour slog onto the Gulf in the back of Albert.
It would be far too efficient and morale boosting to have a few crews based out in Cyprus so thus cannot ever be considered.
Anyway, what would we call it? Hub'n'Spoke? Lunacy....

PS. Gainsey, I think we were in Akronelli at about the same sort of time. I was, however, 2 years old.

Gainesy
6th Aug 2001, 18:25
I remember you!

All the other toddlers on the beach had ice creams. You were the little chubby one with a pram full of discarded Snake & Pigmy pie wrappers and gravy all down yer bib. :D
Hmm... Hub & Spoke, good name for a cargo-rat's pub.

FJJP
6th Aug 2001, 22:00
They can't be based in Cyprus, nor can any other Sqn. It's all about agreements between the 2 governments which forbids the permanent basing of Sqns there. 84 gets away with it because they have a UN role as well as SAR/firefighting.

StopStart
6th Aug 2001, 22:58
Wouldn't need to be a sqn, just a few crews detached for a few weeks and a couple of aircraft. In fact we could pretend it was an APC, although without the Armament. Or the Practice. Or, indeed, the Camping.
Hmmm.

BEagle
6th Aug 2001, 23:40
Gainesy - that description is precisely accurate of the young StopStart!!

SS - glad to hear that camping is something you regard with disdain. OK for mud-eaters, perhaps.....or certain 11(F) people??

cyclops
7th Aug 2001, 16:19
Sounds like someone is missing the "Pale Jade" slip again. Was that last crew ever recovered? :)

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
9th Aug 2001, 21:24
I heard this rumour, and it was from an MT driver in Akrotiri. That must be almost as good a source as the Station Barber.

Someone out there knows!

4 of 7
12th Aug 2001, 01:55
Cor, those were the days, a quid for a kebab down the village or even Avenidos and blue-light-taxis to get you back.

Seemed to get through a powerful number of fire extinguishers in Blocks 100/101/102 though what?

How's your aerials at AKT these days? Any excuse for a barbecue.

The Gorilla
12th Aug 2001, 17:21
It's easy to sort this one out.

Buffhoon the a$Łe, has surrended to the Cypriots. Simply put: you let us rent out Akrotiri to Vodaphone and BT Cellnet, and providing you don't beat up any more of our Policemen we will ensure that the Polis and other such "wonderful" eating establishments have custom in the winter season. Easy, any Tw*t can be defence minister!!

MasterGreen
15th Aug 2001, 06:54
Ref the Pale Jade recovery. Crew H-20 are still waiting for official repatriation from Masirah. All have found their way home I am pleased to report - from 1979 !!! and are following chosen careers....
MG