PDA

View Full Version : RAF?? Brize Norton

slim boy fat
4th Aug 2001, 02:20
BRIZE- Royal Air Force Base or Flying Club?

Could someone enlighten me as to how Brize ATC work out which aircraft have priority.

After working hard for quick turnarounds I`m getting a little miffed at sitting at the holding point waiting for the resident flying club puddle jumpers who are being cleared for rollers again and again......

What`s the deal?

:confused:

Percycat
4th Aug 2001, 02:39
....A bit harsh, calling Concorde a puddle jumper! :D

slim boy fat
4th Aug 2001, 03:17
Funnily enough - I was there when concorde was there and concorde had just requested start, so we were told we couldn`t taxi!

I think they just don`t like me. :(

BEagle
4th Aug 2001, 05:48
If you'd read the Brize Flying Order Book, you'd know all about which aircraft take priority!

What precisely is your gripe? Or are you one of those C130 meat bombers who still haven't worked out how to cope with using VHF on departure? And who still don't know that a visual straight-in approach does not afford priority over other traffic already established in the visual circuit?

Incidentally, the activities of the Flying Club are supported at Air Force Board level!!

slim boy fat
4th Aug 2001, 13:19
BEagle,

My gripe is being held from getting airborne.
I am quite aware that traffic in the visual circuit has priority- I am not talking about recovery here, believe it or not I am quite adapt at settting up my own spacing and getting in sequence WITHOUT balking anyone.

I just find it amazing that as military operators at a military base my crew spends over 7 minutes at the holding point with four engines turning to wait for 2 light a/c doing circuits.

VHF is another arguement but it doesn`t bother me that much.

Oh, and incidently, your comment that the Air Force Board aproves the activities of the flying club is why I pose the question - Royal Air Force base or Flying club?

BEagle
4th Aug 2001, 13:45
Dear me - you have to wait a few minutes, do you? The whole world does not stop for a single C130 - we are talking about a few minutes only here, so you'll just have do as ATC tell you. Whether it's an Oxford PA34 on an IFR approach or or a Chinook or Puma or a PA28 in the visual it'll all be as per the FOB, so just do as you're told and things will be much easier for all concerned.

Quite why we bother with so much meat bombing when, apart from the covert activities of the mates from Hereford, the Army has still to work out that it didn't work at Arnhem, it barely worked at Normandy and it didn't work in Suez is totally beyond most people.

[ 04 August 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

UncleFester
4th Aug 2001, 18:51
. Well, as a "meat bomber", ( a term I find particularly offensive!),Captain, and a member of the Brize Flying club I have had similar experiences form ATC in both aircraft! You are not alone. The flight prevention branch have their own rules and priorities and who was it said "Patience is a virtue". My record at the holding point was 17 minutes, engine running, me paying for it on the hobbs meter, whilst a 3-ship herc troop got their life sorted out by ATC!!
RElaxxx! Read a book or three, or even the notams!

Talking Radalt
4th Aug 2001, 19:49
Oh honestly guys, go SH....
pick a field, any field...

BEagle
5th Aug 2001, 21:59
Except, of course if you fly your SH beastie to Brize! Then you'll be made to approach the intersection and hover taxi for miles. Seems that the idea of going direct from point A to point B in a helicopter has yet to make the news here!!

Rude C'man
5th Aug 2001, 23:52
Beagle don't forget it didn't work in Kososvo either. Its a lot lee bovva with a hover , Fly wokka see the world......................... from a tent!! :D

Up Very Gently
6th Aug 2001, 00:54
Slim,

You wanna try crossing the threshold several times a day in order to go to/depart from work...man, it is pants! My record to date is 29 minutes waiting for some ancient beast to shake me all over!

Rude,

Kososvo? Have you been drinking again(shabba!)? Stand by for some strict Engleesh lessons next time I see ya! P.S. Has your erstwhile neighbour finished Cranditz yet?

Regards,

UVG :D

Talking Radalt
6th Aug 2001, 22:07
"My record to date is 29 minutes waiting for some ancient beast to shake me all over!"

At our place SATCO doesn't shake anybody, just turns the lights to green...

BEagle
6th Aug 2001, 23:45
OI, NOW LOOK!! Whilst we may have the odd disagreement with ATC, Brize SATCO is most certainly NOT an ancient beast!! She is a very charming lady - as are many of her controllers!

Specaircrew
9th Aug 2001, 01:13
Naaah, they're all slappers :-)

Chilli Monster
9th Aug 2001, 06:14
Come the revolution and Brize goes civvy contract - you might get some real controllers in there ;)

CM

Rude C'man
9th Aug 2001, 06:19
UVG nope he's got 7 weeks to do on the downward slope now . And yep how'd you guess afew sherbs that day hic give me a call . :eek:

Perky Penguin
9th Aug 2001, 09:39
I would have thought that the Air Force Board had considerably more important things to do than 'support'a Flying Club! Perhaps we are in the state that we ARE in because that is the sort of niff-naff that they think is actually important. It fits in somewhere but it isn't VITAL!

BEagle
9th Aug 2001, 10:48
OK then, perhaps I should have said that the AFB has approved the existence of RAF Flying Clubs. There is a mandate from the AFB requiring that Service Flying Clubs 'enable members of the RAF to learn to fly at the lowest possible cost'. At least 1 navigator who learned to fly at the Brize Club went straight onto the VC10K course as a co-pilot and passed without difficulty - so the Club saved HMG several £M for flying training costs. Still waiting for our 10% though....

I'm sure the AFB supports RAF rugby, sport parachuting, gliding and probably morris dancing, golf and tiddlywinks as well; no doubt these are elements of Service life for some which you probably wouldn't consider to be 'vital' either!

[ 09 August 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

BEagle
9th Aug 2001, 15:15
..out of which the navigator should be refunded the cost of paying for his own flying training. The rest would be shareholders' profit.

Oh look - it's stopped raining and the flock of Gloucester Old Spots sitting on the rooftops has taken wing.........