PDA

View Full Version : BRITISH APACHE DISPLAY AT SHAWBURY

FOZZY
3rd Aug 2001, 21:53
ANYONE SEE THE APACHE DISPLAY AT SHAWBURY TODAY? SUPPOSEDLY THE FIRST PUBLIC DISPLAY.

BossEyed
3rd Aug 2001, 21:58
First public display?

Not so - there was a bundle at the Middle Wallop show last year. At least two flew. :D

Jemima Puddleduck
4th Aug 2001, 01:00
The first time the Aircraft was shown to the press I think was at Wilton when it was launched - some time in May 2000.

Don't quote me though - just from memory.

JP

Taff Missed
4th Aug 2001, 01:15
I seem to remember seeing four of them cruising about Middle Wallop (in a very genteel manner I might add) last Saturday night at Music in the Air. Public or what. Mind you it was pretty dark by the time they came on and all we could see was the landing light.

Thinking about it, maybe it was the first public display of the landing lights.

Alternatively, it could have been a formation of Gazelles cunningly disguised as Apache's by playing Apache type noises over the PA.

The possibilities are endless!

----------

If it ain't broke.........

Tir renrie
6th Aug 2001, 16:24
There were a number on exercise a few weeks ago, using an old camp as a pad.
Very public, pi$$ed the misses of a bit as she wanted me to teach her to drive.
Im not sure how pleased NU would have been to cough up the loot if she'd
crashed into one !!
:D

[ 06 August 2001: Message edited by: Tir renrie ]

crab beefer
7th Aug 2001, 00:38
I saw it and was wondering where I can get hold of the pilot - it was a good display, pretty sporty too.

We would like to book him for our air day.

Jemima Puddleduck
7th Aug 2001, 11:51
Don't know if it does away day displays yet - but go through the Blue Eagles web site for details
www.blueeagles.co.uk (http://www.blueeagles.co.uk)

CSRO
10th Aug 2001, 22:54
I saw the display when I dropped recently into Middle Wallop. It was impressive and really well flown - an AAC display worth watching at last???? :cool:

If it is the same as what was shown at Shawbury then it must have really shown the RAF and Navy students.

I agree with you JHC, it is good to see the thing strutting its stuff at last. It is a much better display than the jerky hovering I saw at Netheravon. :)

More please.

rotor tree
11th Aug 2001, 04:05
Hate to be the dissenter here, but I have to admit that I wasn't overly impressed. The pilot was fairly obviously working his nuts off to display it (in a fairly stiff wind), but it seemed to be lacking in power. No criticism of the pilot, but I don't think the Apache is the sporty GTi that everyone thinks it is. Chinook departure was entertaining though.....

Jemima Puddleduck
11th Aug 2001, 12:34
Rotor Tree - What would you know...?

rotor tree
11th Aug 2001, 21:13
I was only watching, apart from that I know nothing!

Jemima Puddleduck
12th Aug 2001, 15:47
For a look at capabilities go to - http://www.gkn-whl.co.uk/ follow the Manufacturing and services link & click on the Aircraft & then WAH 64 link.

Hopefully this should answer most of your questions, & for interest compare the engines with the ones on the EH101 & then compare weights of each type.

Hope this helps answer some of the questions on this thread.

Regards

JP

[ 12 August 2001: Message edited by: Jemima Puddleduck ]

BEagle
12th Aug 2001, 16:37
Ah hah - you're that JP, aren't you! Good job you escaped becoming a RAF fighter controller!

Jemima Puddleduck
12th Aug 2001, 19:29
Beagle - The one and only - however have no idea what you mean.......! ;)

64av8or
13th Aug 2001, 22:54
Rotor Tree, I can assure you that one thing the Apache does not lack is power from the engines. In fact all that fly the mighty beast are very impressed with their performance.
Jemima, do you do anything other than direct lost souls to official web sites for institutional information or are you just helpful by nature?
:cool:

fenestronuk
18th Aug 2001, 01:43
I know nothing about apache power but thought the aircraft looked excellent and was shown off very nicely.

I was in a squirrel that day and it was windy. The pilot did a great job and I would like to say thankyou for coming up to boring old Shawbury - my family loved it above all the other displays (I bet the RAs are pleased the apache is about dispalying now??).

The Chinook departure was punchy too but slightly unprofessional and just made the whole apache display look that much better and more professional in my humble opinion.

I hate to admit it but well done the brown jobs.