PDA

View Full Version : Request for Assistance

MadsDad
3rd Aug 2001, 08:35
I am not a military aviator but I have been asked by a friend to try to get some information with which someone on the site may able to help.

A friend of mine is trying to who, through family reasons, totally lost contact with a branch of her family is trying to trace her grandfather who helped, during WW II, to run a French resistance escape organisation which was dedicated to getting downed aircrew from France down into Spain (hence the military aviation connection). If anyone knows of any books or other literature on the subject he would be grateful for the information (even the nickname of the escape line would be a start). Specifically the name of the person he is seeking information about is a Monsieur Dubois who lived in Paris on the Rue de Charenton near the Place de La Bastille (in, it is thought, the 16th arrondissement). He was betrayed to the Germans at some point and his subsequent fate is unknown.

BEagle
3rd Aug 2001, 14:06
Listen ver' carefully, ah weel say zis only wernce:

When I was instructing at the University of London Air Squadron 10 years ago, we had the 'RAF Escaping Society' (not sure if that's the correct tital) in the same building and they had masses of records. I don't know whether they're still there, but perhaps if you rang ULAS Town HQ on 0207 589 9057, the Adjutant may be able to put you in touch with them. However, the UAS may be on block leave now, so waiting until early September may be best.

Best of luck with your research!

[ 03 August 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

Firestreak
3rd Aug 2001, 23:53
BEagle--0/10 for spelling----tital?

ChristopherRobin
4th Aug 2001, 01:20
shouldn't you spell your name P-E-D-A-N-T?

Taff Missed
4th Aug 2001, 01:23
I thought that was the accent coming through.

BEagle
4th Aug 2001, 06:02
OK - Firewood, you spotted my editing cock-up! Originally wrote 'totally correct' and then screwed up the edit!

Bugger!

Firestreak
4th Aug 2001, 10:17
C Robin, if you can spell it, you must be one as well! :rolleyes:

kippermate
7th Aug 2001, 20:14
Eden Camp, the ex POW Camp at Malton N Yorkshire has a display dedicated to the French Resistance routes back to Blighty. They may be able to help.

Multp
7th Aug 2001, 20:32
The book 'Saturday at MI9' by the late Airey Neave is a factual account of the escape organisation in WW2 France and should give you some possible names and info to follow up. Good luck.

sailtoo
12th Aug 2001, 18:40
Try this link to the RAF escapeing society http://www.cbiinfo.com/afeeslis.htm