PDA

View Full Version : ECG Variants in NATS and CAA Medicals

ILS RWY27L
23rd Nov 2009, 12:12
Have taken both the NATS and CAA European Class 3 Medicals [ATCO].

In both, everything was fine bar my ECG reading, which produced a slight variant.

I am currently awaiting a Cardiologist to analyse my CAA ECG reading tomorrow, but have been in touch with the NATS Medical Centre at Swanwick, who informed me that my variant was a 'normal' one in their Medical and that apparently the NATS Medical is more rigorous than the CAA one.

If the CAA variant is the same as that of the NATS one will it be a non-issue?

In any case, should I be worried? I am mildly anxious about awaiting the decision.

Pat42
24th Nov 2009, 09:57
I'm not exactly an expert, so I'm prepared to be corrected, but I doubt this is going to be an issue.

There are a wide variety of minor oddities that can show up on an ECG but don't necessarily indicate that there is anything wrong with your heart. It's just that your heart beats a little bit differently to everyone elses.

If it were anything to worry about or anything that might present a significant obstacle to you obtaining a medical certificate then the NATS doctors would have let you know straight away. The CAA are just playing it safe and covering their own backs by having a cardiologist look at your reading to confirm that it is nothing more sinister - it's all just a matter of toeing the line and keeping within the red tape.

Bob the Doc
24th Nov 2009, 10:40
Seems like a reasonable reply to me. Lots of normal ECGs get reported as abnormal by the computer when it analyses it. Leads to lots of anxious waiting by lots of pilots and air trafficers. The algorithm in the machine is designed that if it says 'Normal ECG' then the trace is truly normal (ie there are no false negative reports). Unfortunately this leads to quite a few false positive reports.

A fair amount of 'subclinical' disease is found on these routine ECGs so it is worth getting a cardiology opinion if the machine says a trace is 'abnormal' but rest assured in the vast majority of cases, the cardiologist reassures you that the trace is just a normal variant

Hope that puts your mind at rest. Let us know what the cardiologist says

BtD

ILS RWY27L
25th Nov 2009, 14:21
Thanks for the replies. Although my mind was put at ease, after speaking with the CAA today it turns out I do need to undergo further investigation.

Once more, hugely frustrating and a little worrying despite all the posts about this normally being a non-issue.

Will receive full details of the required investigations tomorrow and will have to return to Gatwick in the next week or so to undergo the tests.

Just trying to remain positive at the moment, thanks for the support!

Pat42
26th Nov 2009, 10:22
That's a bummer, though I'd still try not to get yourself too worried about it.

Apparently the CAA like to play things on the safe side (quite rightly) and have a tendency to go to quite extravagent lengths to cover themselves when it comes to medicals. They will investigate very minor issues very thoroughly just to make sure that what looks most probably like a non-issue really is a non-issue.

I would still take heart from the fact that NATS weren't at all bothered by it. NATS medical standards are higher than the basic requirements for the class 3 medical, so if they didn't have a problem with the reading that would suggest that it isn't likely to be a real obstacle. As I say, its probably just the CAA being careful.

I know its a crummy situation to be in. I'm in exactly the same boat at the mo - just had my initial medical for NATS, which was fine, but there's some stuff in my medical history that the CAA want to investigate more thoroughly. The doctors at NATS were quite forward and open about the fact that I could have an issue before sending me on to the CAA (although NATS weren't bothered by anything themselves), so the fact that NATS didn't think you'd have a problem is a very good sign.