PDA

View Full Version : Aeronautical Studies

StatorVane
22nd Nov 2009, 10:48
Hello,

I wonder if anyone knows where it is possible to undertake courses in aeronautical studies at various levels (BTEC/Diploma/Degree)? In the UK a simple internet search reveals to obvious aerospace degree course provided at numerous Universities. I'm looking for a little more flexibility of study than attending university.

The course would be undergraduate (I have not studied a degree before nor attended university) and I would be considered a mature student at the age of 35. It would ideally be a stepping stone course or count towards further studies for a degree in the subject. It would be bite-size or modular and as such affordable. It would be UK-based thus hopefully making me elligible for funding assistance.

Apparently there is no such thing in the UK, is this correct? Searching wider afield (the US) it seems as though there are numerous options for distance-study courses in aeronautics including an "associate degree" at various institutions. I notice Embry Riddle unversity have a worldwide campus but their course fees preclude me from studying with them.

Perhaps I have set myself up to fail with this but I hope some of you kind folk could steer me in the right direction. Incidentally I'm not new to aviation and have flying licenses from various corners of the globe (not JAA though).

By the way, what an excellent website this is!

Regards

P.s. I was thinking along the lines of Open University type study.

ProfEng
22nd Nov 2009, 12:25
The sort of course you are looking for is available, I think. Check your PMs.

nodrama
26th Nov 2009, 08:29
Kingston do a foundation degree, ICAT (Glamorgan) do a BSc by correspondence.

jpoth06
26th Nov 2009, 14:46
Many colleges do National Diplomas/Higher National Diplomas, NVQs, City & Guilds etc in Aerospace Engineering/Aeronautical Engineering. These are usually full time courses but some do offer one day a week courses.

StatorVane
26th Nov 2009, 16:43
Thanks for your replies, you have put me on the right track. :ok: