PDA

View Full Version : CPT-UTN-WDH... by car (4x4) and back

Nom De Guerre
22nd Nov 2009, 03:43
Been a LONG while since I drove in SA... How many hours is "reasonable" CPT-UTN given road conditions etc? 12 hours driving fuel/pee stops I can do; have done 14H but that was not safe (Northern Europe to Italy 1300km)

What do you recommend? (apart from taking airlink :-) ) Anywhere worth night-stopping enroute UTN? Or do CPT-WDH and hit UTN on the way back? I have been to UTN many times, and want to go back (for old times sake)...

Curious for advice folks.

Baaie Dankie (sp?)

nugpot
22nd Nov 2009, 05:44
Depending on route and driving speed, 7 to 8 hours. 9 hours will allow for proper lunch breaks.

Enjoy.

bushbug
22nd Nov 2009, 06:36
NdG, perhaps you want to be in Upington but otherwise it would be a lot shorter (nearly 500 kms) to travel from CPT to WDH via Vioolsdrif. (1482 kms according to Mapsource). Count on overnighting at Vioolsdrif after about 8 hrs driving and then through to WDH after a further 10 hours.

If you want to be in UPT then an alternative route would be CPT Springbok-Pofadder-UPT. (1908 kms according to Mapsource). It is tar all the way with relatively little traffic after Springbok. The Pofadder-UPT stretch is scenic but slow in parts where it follows the Orange River. A nice detour is the Augrabies water falls between Pofadder and UPT. One can also turn off at Pofadder and go down to the river to Onseepkans. (This will eliminate UPT from the route). You can cross the border there and enter Namibia at the Verloorsdrif border post. The road between Pofadder and Onseepkans is very poor gravel (about 50kms). However the gravel road on the Namibia side (about 104 kms) is very good and scenic. You will then pick up the tar road again at Karasburg.

Have a good trip.

birrddog
22nd Nov 2009, 06:38
Google Maps says 11hrs, though the right car could do it in 6 + refueling stops, but I would know nothing about that :E

Don't drive between dusk and dawn if you can help it... a Kudu crossing the road at the wrong time could ruin your trip.

Take your time and enjoy the drive.

square-head
23rd Nov 2009, 10:38
Bushbug, I agree :ok:. But try to avoid travelling through Vioolsdrift at midday, as it is the entrance to hell :\. Summertempratures can reach up to 50C. I always arrange a nightstop so that I cross the border before 10h00 or after 16h00.

south coast
23rd Nov 2009, 11:40
I went along as a passenger with an old chum, Frank, from CT to WNK (cant remember the route, but I am sure we went via Springbok) in his short base landrover which didnt go any faster than 80km/h, with no radio.

We did however have a cool box full of beer, whiskey and meat.

We stopped along the side of the road and had bbq's, also when we had a cracked rim and the tyre went down.

It was only then that it was discovered our wheel brace didnt fit the non-standard nuts holding the wheel on.

We stood in the middle of the road with a R50 note and enticed a lorry driver to stop. Luckily he had a large spanner able to undo the nuts.

A great drive and mini-adventure.

vaninnam
28th Nov 2009, 08:52
what a trip it was.
not just any car but in 1972 series II Landrover station wagon I bought for R14000 in 1998.It is now a game viewing vehicle at a lodge next to Etosha
It probably still doesnt have the correct spanner.
I have now moved on to a more respectfull toyota with all the right bits.
So Southcoast if your up to another overland trip in Nam let me know,I do one every 2 months or so.
With all these aircraft falling in Nam the Toyota is much safer.
greetings