PDA

View Full Version : Ooh! look what I found den!

jumpseater
1st Aug 2001, 14:56
I've found a map! Its of South Wales, (Aeronautical Map) RAF (WAR)2nd edition, post 1942. It states that areas dangerous to flying are not shown on this sheet, which seems curious, can anyone enlighten me as to why?. It looks like the sort of map that would be taken on a flight rather than being used solely for flight planning.
rgds
JS

Cornish Jack
1st Aug 2001, 16:39
JS
I'm not quite old enough to write from personal experience but the probable reason is to avoid giving the 'nasties' any useful topo' information should they capture crew and maps. I had to deal with a similar mapping problem when operating around Thailand and Indo-china (as was) since the map-makers had deliberately omitted certain high ground features for the same reason. Thankfully, we rarely flew IMC so we could avoid the cumulo-granites but the Sugar Loaf to the North of Phnom Penh didn't appear on our charts and that was a sizeable piece of real estate!! :eek:

4PON4PIN
1st Aug 2001, 17:07
JS
Cornish J is probably quite right in his assertion for the "strange" comments on your map. However, do not be fooled by his first sentence!!
The maps he used to use had comments such as:

"Here Be Dragons"

So ancient he's even forgotten his spelling of cumulo granitas! ;)

Cornish Jack
3rd Aug 2001, 12:08
JS
Ignore the interruption from my ex directional consultant mate :p One would not wish to accept information from anyone using the same 4 degrees of port drift outbound as inbound :rolleyes: