PDA

View Full Version : RAF question

liquidhockey
23rd Aug 2001, 18:53
hi guys
Can anyone in the know tell me if there have been any changes to the requirements on eyesight.
Also about 8-9 months ago i was told that laser eye treatment was a big nono. i was wondering if this had changed at all?
thanks in advance
Dave

15/15 flex
23rd Aug 2001, 22:47
As far as I know, LASIK, or the like, is still verboten for serving pilots - I believe the same is true for anyone contemplating service with HMtQ's finest. Also, the docs are able to tell if you have had it done, as the procedure "flattens" the surface of the eyeball.

I think this info is still current, but OASC should be able to give you the latest.

Dan Winterland
24th Aug 2001, 22:53
The objection to laser treatment is on the grounds that it leaves the cornea considerably thinner. It is suspected that the eyeball may go pop in the event of a rapid decompression - which would be a bit of a snag.

STANDTO
25th Aug 2001, 13:47
This may have changed. I deal with recruitment for police officers, and my force is still one of those which won't allow laser surgery. Had a conversation with an optician not too long ago. Apparently, in the early days, those who had this were prone to getting a lot of glare at night. Now having been kept up all night at Cranwell by baby pilots doing night circuits over my head at no 2 mess, it certainly suited me fine that those up there could see where they were going. Same rules apply for chasing an cossie up the M6 at 140 mph at 0200.

However, the surgery is now so good that this no longer applies and an optician cannot tell whether you have had it or not! I'm not suggesting that you lie, cos sure as eggs is eggs the RAF would find out. However, if you can gather enough evidence to show that you are no longer likely to blunt in to College Hall on a night sortie then even if you don't change it for yourself, you may help others in the future. Speak to your optician and perhaps a Quack at OASC - got to be worth a try. :cool: