PDA

View Full Version : Pax having a fit in flight

deltahotel
21st Nov 2009, 12:44
On a couple of occasions a friend of mine had what can only be described as a fit. Both times it happened at top of drop. Symptoms: pallor, staring eyes, rigid arms, 'felt woozy'.

Any thoughts?

DH

Bealzebub
21st Nov 2009, 13:01
My thought is that this is your friend? Have you asked them if they have a medical condition that might explain these "fits" such as epilepsy? If they are not aware of an existing condition, then they should definetaly consult their G.P. Presumably they need a proper diagnosis (if they don't already have one,) and internet forums are not really the right place to seek one.

deltahotel
21st Nov 2009, 13:16
Yes, he is a friend with whom I drink beer and watch rugby. Having never flown with him I only became aware when my sis-in-law asked the question at breakfast this am (believing that all pilots know everything about aviation). After the first 'episode' he went to the doc who ran a pile of tests and didn't come up with a diagnosis.

Asked the question on this forum because loads of people with a wide range of knowledge read it, on the off chance that someone might have a helpful view or similar experience.

Hope this clarifies.

DH

JohnRayner
21st Nov 2009, 16:58
do you mine elaborating on "top of drop"..? Is it an aerobatic thing? If so, what are the relative G forces at play?

JR

Bullethead
21st Nov 2009, 21:15
do you mine elaborating on "top of drop"..? Is it an aerobatic thing? If so, what are the relative G forces at play

It's a term some people use for the top of descent or descent point. No unusual forces involved.

Regards,
BH.

gingernut
21st Nov 2009, 22:26
"Fit" is sometimes used quite loosly, and, on the face of it, it doesn't sound like he's had a fit, in the medical sense.

Guessing by internet isn't always that useful, I must agree.

Reassuring that the quacks ruled out anything he's concerned about, and interesting to note that the symptoms directly relate to air travel.

Could be anything from anxiety to mild hypoxia to inflight drinking to dehydration to sunstroke to .........

Probably not that easy to narrow it down further.

Bertiee
25th Nov 2009, 16:55
It's quite possible that they won't find a cause for it. I had a seizure when I was 20 and nothing came of it. 8 months later I had another and was diagnosed with epilepsy (the definition being that I'd had more than one). There wasn't any common cause - with the second one I'd been drinking quite heavily a couple of nights before which they said might have been a factor (note that I'd been at uni for the last 4 years and no had a problem then!), but with the first I was just having dinner with no other apparent cause.

I don't know how the pilot regulations work but with the DVLA if you have a seizure where you can narrow down the reason (not why necessarily, but in this case a certain event that triggers it) they assess it on an individual basis, but you still have to declare it to them regardless.

Flyin'Dutch'
5th Dec 2009, 07:13
Your 'friend' needs to go back to the doctor; recount the history; take a witness (if there was one as witnesses to these 'funny turns' are an invaluable help in making the diagnosis) and if necessary be referred to a neurologist for further evaluation.