PDA

View Full Version : 'Prop-Swing' Winter 2009

BEagle
20th Nov 2009, 15:04
I don't know about anyone else, but I found certain comments in Haig-Thomas' From the Aviation Trustee article in the latest edition of the Shuttleworth Collection's magazine Prop-Swing quite bewildering.

First, he writes:
During the summer our Chief Pilot left us, I announced that he had resigned which he denies; he is quite right, he did not resign.
Just what is that supposed to mean? He didn't even name the erstwhile Chief Pilot, nor offer any further explanation. Rather insensitive treatment of a volunteer with 20 years of loyal voluntary service, in my opinion.

Later, he writes:
Finally more trouble from the engineers. One of them (regrettably I cannot remember which or he would be fired) hearing of my fines for parking on double yellow lines sold me, for £100, the previously promised disabled parking disc. It was wonderful - for a week I could park anywhere on the endless empty 'disabled only' parking areas. Then things went wrong. The Chairman of the Bench said it was the worst forgery he had ever seen - before handing out an absurdly large penalty.
Let me get this right - he can't remember with whom he conspired to obtain a forged disabled parking permit? And if he could, he would dismiss him? On what grounds?

I have little sympathy for those inconsiderate people who park on double yellow lines, but those who abuse the disabled parking scheme are utterly despicable. So Haig-Thomas got caught and given an 'absurdly large' penalty? Perhaps he'd like to visit Headley Court and explain to the many injured servicemen how 'wonderful' it was for him to park in disabled-only spaces - and why the fine for getting caught was 'absurdly large'?

This article leaves me with a sour taste about the management of the Shuttleworth Collection.

Double Zero
20th Nov 2009, 16:34
I have to agree with you Beagle, seldom has even my jaw dropped so low...

Faced with the first paragraph, one could easily assume there had been a parting of the ways for any reason, and the Collection were being kind in just saying he had left.

Reading on though, being disappointed about his forged disabled sign is utterly unforgivable.

I doubt very much this pilot has really forgotten who supplied it, but maybe said illegal supplier has some ' heavy connections ' the pilot would rather not face ?

I agree with a visit to Selly Oak, Headley Court etc; if left alone with them for a few hours I'm sure he'd come second despite the real men & women's injuries !

If it's true that a member of groundcrew was responsible for supplying the dodgy disc, I'm sure he could be fairly easily identified by just about everyone there, and should be prosecuted & fired; that is of course if the Museum staff aren't too afraid of reprisals too ( no small consideration with an irreplaceable collection of fragile aircraft ).

The only remaining question, Beagle, is how watertight is all this gen' ?

PPRuNe Pop
20th Nov 2009, 16:34
Have to say it is very curious - and curioser.

treadigraph
20th Nov 2009, 19:51
I don't know anything about the first matter other than the previous Chief Pilot has sadly left the collection for whatever reason.

Without knowing the full context of the second quote, rather than an actual event it seems probable to me that it's simply the product of THT's particular brand of humour. If you read his book it is much in evidence.

BEagle
20th Nov 2009, 20:43
......it's simply the product of THT's particular brand of humour. If you read his book it is much in evidence.

In which case I most certainly won't be buying his book.

People might think I'm over-reacting, but that paragraph concerning his boastful abuse of a forged disabled parking permit is totally and utterly unacceptable. In any case, what the hell does it have to do with running the Collection? If it was a clumsy attempt at humour, then it was in the worst possible taste, given the number of servicement disabled in current conflicts.

I trust that Haig-Thomas will publish a formal apology in the next edition of the magazine; meanwhile I'm sure that many of us will now reconsider whether or not we wish to continue with SVAS membership.

JEM60
21st Nov 2009, 15:35
I agree with Treadigraph. In my opinion the remarks about 'firing the engineer' were very much tongue in cheek, and for those who won't read his book, then you are missing a very good read indeed!!. From what I have heard, there was a disagreement in respect of the Chief Pilot leaving.

BEagle
21st Nov 2009, 19:41
JEM60, disregarding the unresolved issue of the erstwhile Chief Pilot for the moment, Haig Thomas' boasts about his self-confessed abuse of disabled parking restrictions - and his use of a forged disabled parking permit - are totally unacceptable in this day and age.

JEM60
22nd Nov 2009, 12:09
Hi, Beagle. Read the posts too quickly yesterday. On reflection, I agree with you.

Sir George Cayley
25th Nov 2009, 19:03
Lady Cayley has a Blue Badge. One she does not wear with pride.

If someone well connected could pass on a message to Tony..

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability too"

Thank you.

Sir George Cayley

BEagle
12th Dec 2009, 19:04
Still no reply from SVAS to the e-mail I sent weeks ago about Haigh-Thomas' comments.....

BEagle
19th Mar 2010, 22:43
The latest Prop-Swing has now arrived at BEagle Towers.

I was disappointed to note that Haig-Thomas has offered no apology for his boastful story in the previous edition about his self-confessed use of a forged disabled parking permit - and his threat to 'fire' the person who sold it to him.

On a happier note, some very good news - which isn't in the magazine - the erstwhile Chief Pilot has been awarded a Master Air Pilot certificate by the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators. Congratulations, Andy!

John Farley
20th Mar 2010, 10:40
BEages

I join you in congratulating Andy.

Very well done indeed Andy for your efforts on behalf of OW where you did an outstanding job over many years. All your friends will be very pleased that your achievements and abilities have been recognised by this prestigious and very well deserved award.

JF

G-KEST
20th Mar 2010, 23:09
I am so pleased that Andy has been awarded this prestigeous certificate by GAPAN.

When he assumed the mantle of the Shuttleworth Collection chief pilot from John Lewis so many years ago he was responsible for starting the "training week" programme at Old Warden. This has proved to be an enormous success.

Few have done as much for the early historic aircraft community in the UK.

I crossed swords with him on a couple of occasions however his critique of my misdemeanours was fully justified. We remain good friends.

Cheers,

Reaper 69
:D:D:D:D