PDA

View Full Version : Northern No-Fly Zone in Iraq--who has been there?

merip1
1st Aug 2001, 01:41
I'm trying to get in touch with RAF pilots and other experienced military personnel familiar with the northern no-fly zone of Iraq. MERIP, which is an independent Washington DC non-partisan, non-profit think tank is attempting to compile a comprehensive analysis of US and coalition Iraq policy, and we are looking for non-US military input. In particular, I'm looking for external commentary on something that a number of US pilots have raised in interviews, which is: the possibility that while the northern no-fly zone was set up to protect the Kurds, it may be functioning in such a way that it has actually heightened the Turks ability to go after the Kurds in northern Iraq. This is a worrisome variable and we would like to --on or off record--talk with pilots to get their feedback on the matter. If phone is preferable--I can call (as it is long distance from Washington DC). Drop me a line ([email protected]) and tell me when and where to call. If you want more info on the project before you add your input--I can provide that as well. Thanks.

The Scarlet Pimpernel
1st Aug 2001, 01:49
I've seen some hot potatoes in my time, but this one is nuclear.

I don't think you'll get many takers here chum! :eek:

BEagle
1st Aug 2001, 02:11
If you really think that any military aircrew will comment on current operational activities on this open public bulletin board, then you must be naiive in the extreme!

So it might perhaps be best for everyone concerned if you took your enquiries elsewhere!

You are the weakest link. Good bye!

Tonkenna
1st Aug 2001, 02:18
merip 1,

nice to see that you have placed your only two posts here and the Questions forum. As I said there, and BEagle has here, you have little chance. But great try, and it did give me a bit of a giggle, Ta :D

merip1
1st Aug 2001, 02:26
No, as stated in the original posting--we are not looking for sensitive information--and "current operational procedures", as you say, is about the last thing we are interested in. In fact we are trying to get a read on how the Turkish-Kurdish variable in the NFZ equation has affected morale and whether pilots believe its worthy of further inquiry----last I checked: that was not top-secret matter, except perhaps for the most paranoid.

Reichman
1st Aug 2001, 10:10
Why don't you ask the Turks then?

Mystic Greg
1st Aug 2001, 22:40
Merip

You really do not seem to understand. It would be totally inappropiate for military personnel to engage in discussions with you on the political aspects of our current operations. Any military opinion quoted, whether on or off the record, could be used to undermine the policy of the Government we are (for better or worse) paid to serve. If you want to know what the RAF is doing in Northern Iraq, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office or the Ministry of Defence.

Now please clear off and and don't bother this forum again with your futile enquiries. :mad:

stillin1
2nd Aug 2001, 01:07
merip1
I hope you have the intelligence to nb you have picked the wrong audience for the wrong question! Tell me you did'nt get the same response from your side of the pond. Mind you the psychobabble was a laugh though.
Oh! - I aint tellin u nuffink too. Ta Ta

merip1
2nd Aug 2001, 01:14
Yes--the response was the same on this side of the pond: the high-profile types internet-flexing for friends made a big show of their unwillingness to talk while the more insightful discrete types simply contacted directly with something worthwhile to contribute. In any case, it's been real and thanks for the help. Cheers chum(p)s

slim boy fat
2nd Aug 2001, 01:47
what`s a chum(p)? :cool:

RoyalRock
2nd Aug 2001, 02:23
A case of ICATQ Sir!!!

BEagle
2nd Aug 2001, 02:56
merip - you mean that the military-minded remembered their obligations whilst a few snivelling disaffected types blabbed secretively, I guess.

Is your name Bush?