PDA

View Full Version : Lagos, Nigeria

lbc870
20th Nov 2009, 00:47
Hello all, I'm considering a Hawker 800XP job in Lagos and was wondering what to expect, Pros and Cons, any information would be greatful.

V1... Ooops
20th Nov 2009, 02:41
Well... Lagos is a very large city, with significant disparities between the very wealthy and the very poor. So, living there could, perhaps, be compared to living in rougher area of - for example - Detroit or Los Angeles.

Westcoaster
20th Nov 2009, 09:45
Lagos does not compare to Detroit or Las Angeles. It is worse.
Before you even go there make sure that you have a solid contract. Do not accept "accommodation provided" There are only a few good hotels in the area that you will most likely be based in. The main airport is North of Lagos city. You will most likely be in Ikeja or the GRA. IF you are in that area make sure you are staying in the Sheraton or the Proteia Hotel. Do not accept any other hotels. There are guest houses as well. They might try to put you in to a guest house or compound which may seem good at first, but then you have to consider the food, recreation (pool, gym, etc.). Make sure this is clear in the contract. There have been many people who arrive only to find out that the champagne and caviar welcome is gone. Payment is another issue. They should be paying in US or Euro dollars. Some companies try to pay in the local currency. If it is a rotation make sure they provide tickets. Tickets can be very expensive depending on where you live.

Rani
20th Nov 2009, 11:28
I would rather live in Lagos rather than soulless, bland, and depressing Detroit thank you vey much. At least Lagos has all the energy, adventure, and discovery a smart and open-minded expat could ask for.

And yes, Los Angeles is very hard to resist. But Lagos is the experience of a lifetime, especially that you'll be visiting other interesting cities around Lagos which are treasures of culture and beauty in their own rights (Accra, Calabar, Sao Tome, etc).

sleeper
20th Nov 2009, 13:05
I guess it is time for the old saying:

Happiness is v1 at Lagos

lbc870
20th Nov 2009, 13:17
Thanks for the information!:ok:

menatti
20th Nov 2009, 13:53
http://burningholesinthesky.wordpress.com/

non iron
21st Nov 2009, 05:14
Steady in the ranks, how on earth would tourists visit Sao Tome ?
( or indeed Principe)

A tourist`s lifespan in Lagos would be about 40 minutes after dark. As you well know.

Unless there has been a massive change in the recipients of dash you are misleading people.
l look forward to your correction.

Best wishes, Non lron.

Rani
21st Nov 2009, 05:20
When was the last time you were in Lagos ?

Very pertinent question, don't you think?

Lagos and Nigeria have changed a lot since 1999.

A lot less Molue on the streets, more order in general, and common sense rules as always in expat movement around the city...

Visa for Sao Tome -> Expats are getting these with no problem.

non iron
21st Nov 2009, 05:47
And when did you last see a tourist ?

Never at a guess.

l noticed that you changed your location from Lagos to Whitehaven Beach, may l ask where that is ?

You are absolutely right by asking when l was last there but it was in `97, thankyou for the benefit of doubt.

ps; the cities you mentioned are not actually in Nigeria.

SalesConsult
21st Nov 2009, 06:16
There are possibly more expats in Nigeria than the whole of West Africa combined. There are problems like any other large city but it is NOT a no-go area, you will have a good time - surprise yourself

NDB17
21st Nov 2009, 17:22
ibc870,

Let's cut thru the BS. You are going to lagos for a job, not a lifestyle. You will most likely get a rotation, so falling in love with the city is not a priority.
You have a flying job, not a desk job. You will be well compensated for coming down there to work.
What else do you need? Do your job, on your time off go else where and look for a lifestyle.
Focus my friend, focus

baba70
22nd Nov 2009, 03:37
Well put NDB17.... Well put.....:D

Westcoaster
22nd Nov 2009, 19:06
Lagos and Nigeria have changed a lot since 1999.

A lot less Molue on the streets, more order in general, and common sense rules as always in expat movement around the city...

You have to be kidding me Rani. Lets see.. 3 weeks ago we had to bribe a cop, before that our guard using his AK-47 stopped a guy from stabbing our driver, before that a drunk cop tried to extort money from us, before that crew bus in the middle of a gun fight, before that crew bus in the middle of a bank robbery.... and you say it has improved. Don't mislead the guy that is asking for the truth.

Lagos is interesting and there are things to see there, but dont fool yourself, it is not a safe city. After dark it is dangerous. Even Nigerians have told me they don't trust anyone... What does that tell you. If you go, you have to be aware as to what is going on around you. I am not sure where you are from, but it is not a walk in the park. If you are lucky and you are given a house on Victoria Island, then yes you are going to be closer to having a good time. The fact is that you are being offered a job on a jet. The airport is in Ikeja. You will be based near the airport because you will not be able to get to the airport in time if you are based anywhere farther than Ikeja. There is NO common sense rules in the streets.. It is one big chaotic mess of cars,taxis, and okadas...

NDB17 is correct - just make sure you hammer out your contract before you go

lbc870
22nd Nov 2009, 20:40
Thanks for all the points of view. I'll have my contract tomorrow and I'll share some details that stick out odd if any. Thanks.

TonyWilliams
23rd Nov 2009, 00:42
Even Nigerians have told me they don't trust anyone... What does that tell you.

I have a cab driver here who uses his Toyota car in the daylight, and Mercedes at night... 'cuz nobody wants to steal the Mercedes !!! They would take the Toyota, of course.

The rep for Boeing, here in Ikeja, was enjoying dinner at a popular expat restaurant when police officers came in to rob the place. He took a blow to the face, and still has the scar.

Lots of stories, and it is both fun and sad. So much potential. So much corruption. If you're adventurous, you'll be OK.

Are you coming to Arik to fly the 800xp? Or some other operator? I also know a pilot on the Hawker in Abuja who might be a good source of info.

lbc870
23rd Nov 2009, 21:00
Ok my contract came in today. I was wrong about lagos, that's where the company main office is. I'll be based in Abuja at the Nhamdi Azikiwe International airport. Sounds alot better...

AtthePNR
23rd Nov 2009, 22:02
Abuja is better, but it is still Africa and will be a real eye opener. Operations down there are interesting as well

But in these times......we can't be to picky

non iron
25th Nov 2009, 22:15
l wish l could be more optimistic for you but Abuja - the seat of government of course - and Lagos differ in only two things.

Relative humidity and the size of bribe.

Sense of adventure is vital, as others have said, but a sense of humour is paramount.

Good luck to you, enjoy and for f...flipping `ecks sake take care !

Ps, Westcoaster, l remember getting very friendly with a Russian lady.. polite cough .. in the Aero contractors bar ( is that still there l wonder ?) and even arranged for the waiting driver to expect an addition to the departing complement when she asked for our destination.
lkeja.
All hell broke loose, l was obviously a resident in an asylum.
Your mention made me smile. :)

inner
27th Nov 2009, 06:38
Do you know where you have to stay? (hilton, sheraton, compound??)

I've been a couple of times in Abuja. Personally i could not live there. High humidity and temperatures. Abuja is safer than lagos, but you have to put this in perspective of course, it is still Africa!!!

Can you commute or do you have to stay there all the time?? And do you think the pay is ok??

Good luck and make sure you don't get raped in the hotels. :ok:

chuks
27th Nov 2009, 16:56
It was Isolo. If Ikeja is an armpit Isolo is further south and more central and Olga from the Volga was distinctly unimpressed. I remember it well...

Phantom Driver
27th Nov 2009, 18:04
Good old days! Nostalgia really isn't what it used to be.

non iron
28th Nov 2009, 00:07
Abuja is as dry as a bone. 40 degrees C regularly as opposed to Lagos`s 28.
Just bull sh**.

l have to admit that Chucks was part of the complement - for Chuks benefit only the word "complement" suggests completeness of unit rather than flattery - and no, warm showers are still out of the question.

9jarep
28th Nov 2009, 07:13
Every City has its ups and down first thing lock your Passport and Credit cards in a safe place,your company I.D Card would do just fine anywhere, when you go out hold some loose change no money may spell trouble sometime:} insist in travelling in unmarked cars remove your bars after flights if possible wear a light jacket over your uniform stay away from bars that sell beer at low prices :E that is if you would stand out as a foreigner :D ..if you feel the urge use a well known Pimp solo flight sometimes are not traceable:E

inner
28th Nov 2009, 07:33
Sorry mate,

I was there last month and for me it was definately what they call humidity. Temp was around 29°.

Perhaps you are one of the guys who stayed there for a while and got used to it.

chuks
28th Nov 2009, 09:09
Complement, compliment... sounds the same if you say it fast.

The Aero Bar is in Ikeja and we, under my able leadership as self-nominated Head of the Escape Committee, had made our way there from our dwelling in the middle of the pullulating slum that Isolo had become.

One of our number was bidding fair to literally make his escape, which would have got me in trouble, since I really expected to return with the same number of aviators I had left with, plus perhaps the odd companion.

All I could think to do, I provided our little escapee with a slip of paper bearing his name and address, for use on "the morning after," when I expected he would have one of those, "Who am I? Where am I? Who are you?" moments, as often happens in the life of the aviator. Sharp-eyed Olga extracted the slip, read the address, blurted, "Isolo! Werry bad pipples! No class!" abruptly turned on her heel and strode out the back door, slamming it as she went.

Dreams of romance went "Poof!" and I was to blame, with ill will that still lingers, something I shall just have to live with.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
6th Dec 2009, 02:36
non iron,

I must also know you as I was around in those halcyon days, albeit not Lagos based and I've never gone bush; well, not completely anyway. I wonder what Chris C is doing these days ? And Alistair G ?

NEO

non iron
6th Dec 2009, 03:34
Oh bless, l honestly have no idea.

l assume Alistair is long dead, and what Chris is up to is a mystery.
Mind, one of those visiting yanks kept in touch with his wife`s caff.

Standby, l`ll check.

Jim Parkhurst was the name. A good man devoid of B.S.
A twelve year old phone number has to be close to useless, but if you p.m. me l`ll pass it on.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
6th Dec 2009, 10:45
No offence to Chris, your mate Jim or you but it was merely idle curiosity, I'm not that interested !!

Thanks for the bless (I think), whatever that's supposed to mean.

NEO

chuks
7th Dec 2009, 05:58
I have never gone bush either! Any of you other guys ever go bush? No? So that's okay then!

But, wait... Who was that man, stood there in the wreckage of a bar, smoking a fag with a certain air of enjoyment as he gazed upon the remnant broken glass, small puddles of blood and groups of Nigerian officialdom still chattering excitedly as they reviewed the Battle Royal that had just taken place between two competing groups of police, one having done his bidding?

I was just an innocent bystander, dragged along by a mad Hungarian colleague on the hunt for drinking vouchers and I could not WAIT to get out of there and back to my nice, safe compound because that bar looked and smelled like trouble and I had made a promise to Mother not to get involved in any riots in Nigeria, especially not one involving the police.

So going bush might be like beauty, in the eye of the beholder but from where I was stood that man might not have gone bush but he was a lot further along in that direction than I was, hmm? Of course, I could have him mixed up with someone else...

non iron
11th Dec 2009, 01:16
So why bother ?