PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a Basic license??

grafity
19th Nov 2009, 22:21
Hi all,

I'm just out of my time as an apprentice aircraft mechanic (avionics). I'm just waiting now on experience with all the part 66 modules passed for the B1.1 / B2 licenses.

I've been kept on at my company which specializes in 3rd party base maintenance on Boeings. Although I'm grateful for my job, with the recession and all :ok:, I wouldn't mind branching out a bit and seeing some more of the industry and maybe even the world while I'm at it. However, if I'm offered and accept a type course with my current company they'll bond me for 3 years.

Flicking through the aviation job sites there's a lot of heli and biz jet jobs going. Would anyone recommend the jump from the big jets into this sector of the aviation world or has anyone made it?

One more question, for those who get there license while contracting, what is normally their next move, do they self fund a type course and if so who approves them or do they generally have to settle in a permanent job and hope to be offered a course?

Regards,
Grafity

Rigga
19th Nov 2009, 22:56
Your basic Licence isnt worth much on its own - do the course and the three years (it'll soon fly by) and three years is short by some standards.

After then, the world is your oyster. If you want to trip around - fine, staying put is fine too. But, then, it's your choice.

Do the Course.

I've done heli's, commuters, big jets, flying club, military and back to heli's again. It can be done. But you need the licences - except for the military, who don't care!

I'll hand this over to the Connies now....

Rigga

grafity
20th Nov 2009, 16:44
Thanks for the reply Rigga.

Would you recommend helicopter work or am I just seeing the greener grass on the other side. Is there many pro's and cons?

Grafity

Alber Ratman
20th Nov 2009, 17:12
Bond time of three years?? That is a bit excessive seeing the standard is a years bond... Do the course and get the rating and company approval then do a runner as a connie after your year. If they take you to court, get a good solicitor who will rip them to shreads!!:ok:

Capot
20th Nov 2009, 17:37
Don't forget that to get the type rating into your licence you must complete the Practical training as well as the Theory course, and then complete a period of work experience which, in your case, could be up to16 weeks.

If you go independent and self-fund, you could find yourself with a nice certificate for the Theory course, even perhaps the Practical Training (which can be hugely expensive), but no type rating and no job.

Why no job? Because you need the rating in your licence to get the job. But you need the job to get the experience........it's a trap.

If someone is going to pay for your Theory and Practical Type training, and then give you the work experience you need while paying you, let's hope as an authorised certifyer for some of the time so you have that on your CV as well, 3 years loyal and grateful service is a small price to pay.

grafity
20th Nov 2009, 19:05
Thanks again for the replies guys, I take on your points

As you point out Alber the bonds not worth the paper it's writing on apparently. I'd be just afraid that I'd need to go back to them at some stage in the future so I don't want to leave on bad terms.

In relation to your point Capot where I am now I suspect that the earliest I'd be stamping would be at least a year down the road. It tends to be August for type training courses as it's the quite period, and at that they're not guaranteed to put me on a course.
So basically I'm expecting to be meching and building up experience anyway.

Am I dreaming so if I'm thinking that a company might look at hiring someone as a mech with the added benefit that there's the future possibility of typing them to B1/B2 on their type?

Regards,
Grafity

Rigga
20th Nov 2009, 20:55
Unless the law has changed in UK, or is different in Eire, don't get sucked into the "...it's not worth the paper its printed on" trap!

If, before entering into a Course, you sign an agreement to a Training Bond - it IS worth the paper and much more. I know a few friends who will tell you that.

If you are asked to sign a Training Bond Agreement after the course you do not have to sign it.

But an agreement is exactly that - you have agreed to the Bond and should oblige it.

Tinwacker
20th Nov 2009, 22:02
Grafity:

Bad advise to do a runner - my company would ask for 2 years for a full type course as you are a new starter/freshman.

Burn your bridges at your own peril and remember when you require a company reference - you just did a runner...
Nobody will give you any more courses, cannot be trusted etc.
A good solicitor will possibly cost more than you see - for what?

As mentioned previously 3 years does go quickly plus it's the experience that you should be picking up after the type course that is most important.

TW

Alber Ratman
21st Nov 2009, 08:37
I was only joking about doing a runner (although i know of one LAE who was given a type course and left the company two months later after a disagreement with the management.. They were only acting as a storage facility at the base he was working at.. He managed to get back in to his previou place though). The rest of the guys are right about doing your type and gaining experience at your present location.

Dual ground
21st Nov 2009, 09:01
Stay put for the time being is my advice. Even if you don't get a type course next year you will still be building experience, and if you are thinking of hitting the connie circuit in the future, experience talks.

celtic mech
22nd Nov 2009, 13:20
As has been said by the numerous posts above....i'd also recommend sticking around for the time being and taking the course, especially considering the current climate. Put in the hard slog now when times are fairly tough then when your bond is up, hopefully by then things will be good once more. There are plenty of Licenced guys out there and they cant find work...and they are guys who are probably typed on every aircraft under the sun.
As for a training bond...you are entering into a contract. It is worth the paper its written on. No solicitor could fight your corner for you if you just upped and left without paying the money to leave. *Beware*!!
When u finished my apprenticeship i also had my licence complete and in my hand..Full B1. I thought this was great...until you then realise that a b1 or b2 is basically worthless without both a type licence and experience.

Dodo56
23rd Nov 2009, 11:32
Get type rated, that's the sort of experience many guys would give their right arm for. Then stay for the bond (it won't seem like long) which will also hopefully enable the industry to get back to growth. If you choose to leave after that at least you'll have a good CV to put behind you.

grafity
23rd Nov 2009, 18:07
Hi guys,

Thanks for your input. I understand the points made and I certainly wouldn't plan to break a bond. As pointed out I wouldn't want to burn any bridges.

If I were to leave my current job I would do so with something lined up that offered some sort of career progression. Which I suppose in this period of time is probably unlikely.

So to change the direction of the tread a bit what would be the pros and cons of the different areas of aviation maintenance i.e. line, base, heli, bizz jet etc.

Regards,
Grafity

Dodo56
24th Nov 2009, 12:46
Line/base I will let others more experienced advise on, however I would suggest airline types will offer the most opportunity simply because there are more of those aircraft around needing looking after. The bizjet community goes very flat at times like these and I know of a number of good licensed guys having been let go because their company didn't have enough work for them.

TURIN
24th Nov 2009, 21:32
Base maintenance can be dull. Doing the same checks week in week out on the same type. It can also be very rewarding when you find something completely unexpected and end up with a major repair or engine change etc.
Line maintenance can also be very dull, but to be honest if it's been a bad week with every a/c that comes through falling over then dull is what you need for a couple of weeks. In reality Line maintence tends to be like fightng fires in an oil field, you put one out and another crops up sooner rather than later. You also have to deal with some rather unpleasant individuals who no nothing about aviation but assume that they know best. The ability to bite your tongue when faced with career management types who have zero technical background and think they know how you should do your job is an asset.