PDA

View Full Version : Managing Expectations? How long is BA taking to respond to complaint e-mails?

ExXB
19th Nov 2009, 18:58
My redemption bookings (2 PNRs out to YVR, back from LAX) have both had my seat assignments screwed up. I called the Executive Club (in Bremen) who tell me that don't know why the changes were made, they don't know why I wasn't advised of the change but they can't do anything.

On both flights I booked, and had confirmed 28BC (Emergency exit row). On the YVR flight I now have 28CD (i.e. two aisle seats) but on the LAX flight I've got 28BG (i.e. 4 seats inbetween).

Bremen told me to complain on the BA web-site, which I did. I got a speedy acknowledgement followed about an hour later with a second message telling me to contact the Executive Club (even though I had said I had already done so) and gave me the tollfree number (same one I had used). I responded saying the Executive Club could not help me. That was on Monday, today is Thursday and I've heard nothing more.

So how long should I wait? Any thoughts on my next steps would also be appreciated!

raffele
19th Nov 2009, 20:17
It does sometimes take a while to get a response, particularly at busy times of year like the run up to Christmas. Give it 10 working days and then follow it up with a phone call or a letter

ExXB
20th Nov 2009, 20:43
I wait until next week before following up.

The more I think about this the more I'm confused about how this could have happened. As mentioned the outbound flight to Vancouver, and the inbound flight from Los Angeles are on two PNRs. How in H*ll can one of the two seats be changed on both. On the Vancouver flight we lost 28B, replaced by 28D and on the LA flight 28C was replaced by 28G.

I remember a few weeks back some comment was made to a Ppruner by a flight attendant that 'someone' at Head Office was doing what they could to deny seating requests if the were for high status Executive Club members. I searched but couldn't find that post - but I recall most people expressed disbelief that that could be occurring.

Having it happen to me twice makes me think. I made both bookings when I was Gold (I've now reverted to Silver). Is somebody at BA intentionally trying to piss us off? (I'm not accusing the company, but is there a rogue employee with an axe to grind?)

backseatjock
21st Nov 2009, 19:27
I wouldn't hold out much hope for your response saying anything of substance, I'm afraid. Can almost put my money on a computer generated standard response that says you are not guaranteed a seat and that, for operational reasons, the airline reserves the right to put you anywhere it wants. Best thing is to try and check in online as close as you can to the system coming on line, 24hrs before scheduled departure.

ExXB
21st Nov 2009, 20:44
All I want is status quo ante. According to the Exec club person I talked to the seats have not been reassigned, but they are blocked so he couldn't access them.

I understand that BA reserves the right ... etc. etc. but it isn't like they have to put a PRM into those seats (they are emergency exit seats).

fincastle84
22nd Nov 2009, 09:55
If you look at the small print I think you'll find that the problem is because they are emergency exit seats. As previously stated the only way to ensure that you get your desired seats is to check in 24 hours before take off.
I wouldn't hold your breath for any kind of meaningful or worthwhile apology. I imagine customer services are preparing for the onslaught of complaints once the strike commences.

ExXB
22nd Nov 2009, 14:00
I hear what you are saying, but I don't want an apology or compensation or an upgrade. I just want them to give me back what they took away from me. It would be nice if they told me why they did it, but in reality who cares why.

Frankly, not so long ago I was 'one of their best customers' (i.e. Gold) and they were my favourite airline. I was still gold when I made the booking but since then I've reverted to Silver. This doesn't mean I won't be using them again, but they are no longer my first choice. And these antics, which look more and more to me to be intentional, just push them further down my list.

backseatjock
22nd Nov 2009, 19:04
Similar treatment and a near inability to book seats on popular routes through Air Miles (unless rediculously far in advance) has seen me switch to VS, Singapore or others whenever there is a choice on any route. Sadly, those who run BA do not seem to care whether you, or anyone else, is a Gold card holder or how many sectors you fly, whether on business or leisure. If the cabin crew and flight crews are treated as badly, no wonder there is a threat of industrial action ahead.

profot
22nd Nov 2009, 20:41
I wouldn't hold your breath, I wrote to them 3 months ago and still waiting for a response despite two chase emails...

The customer is fairly unimportant to BA management it would seem

wowzz
22nd Nov 2009, 21:12
With the new BA seating policy it is impossible to book exit row seats more than 24 hours in advance, and even then you still have to pay an additional charge.
IMHO it appears that BA Exec Club do not know their own new T&Cs and also that you should never have been allowed to book these exit rows in the first place.
To be fair, I have never been able to pre-book emergency exit seats with any airline, but I am sure that there will now be hundreds of replies telling me I am wrong!

Scumbag O'Riley
23rd Nov 2009, 10:41
You are wrong :)

k3lvc
23rd Nov 2009, 13:24
I wouldn't hold your breath, I wrote to them 3 months ago and still waiting for a response despite two chase emails...

The customer is fairly unimportant to BA management it would seem

My longest running complaint is from March 2008 so I wouldn't hold your breath

Strangely if I compliment them on their service I generally get a reponse within 48hrs thanking me but strangely get cut off/transferred when I raise my outstanding complaint.

fincastle84
23rd Nov 2009, 16:09
Choosing exit row seats

In addition, if you wish to request an exit row seat in World Traveller or World Traveller Plus you can do so from 10 days to 4 days before your flight, subject to availability.
Exit row seats can be requested on an individual passenger basis and do not have to be purchased for all passengers on a booking.
Exit row seats are situated either next to or immediately behind the exit door. In the unlikely event of an evacuation you will be expected to assist in the opening of the emergency door.
Exit row seats are non-transferable.
We have the sole discretion to determine whether you meet the requirements to sit in an exit row seat. If you do not meet the requirements, you will be assigned an alternative seat and the amount paid for the seat will not be refunded.
If after the date of requesting an exit row seat you become unable to fulfil the requirements to sit in an exit row seat then you should contact us. You will be eligible to apply for a refund if you contact us at least 48 hours before your flight.
Gold Executive Club members, oneworld Emerald equivalents, and other passengers on the same booking can request an exit row seat free of charge, at any time before their flight.
Exit row seats can be pre-assigned at a cost of £50 or $75 per person per sector. This fee will be converted into local currency where applicable.
Prices quoted are correct as 25 September 2009 and are subject to change

This is copied from the BA website as of 23 Nov 2009.

ExXB
26th Nov 2009, 18:17
I never received a response from BA, but at the suggestion of another Ppruner I tried the Executive Club forum on flyertalk.com. I got a response fairly quickly, but saying that she tried but couldn't get my seats back. So I went back to ba.com to select other seats and discovered I had 28BC back on both flights.

So, not sure what happen, but thank you ... thank you ... thank you!

(And thank goodness Mrs ExXB never found out):D