View Full Version : Foo fighters

derelicte
19th Nov 2009, 12:38
What happened to them? When I was a lad I knew a few old boys who were in bomber command and they swore they were real. However after many hours looking out of the window from cattle class I have never seen a thing, except the Northern lights a couple of times, which were most impressive, but not the point. I kinow the crews were on speed half the time :) but anyone got any insights?

Dop
19th Nov 2009, 13:25
They're a pretty good band (http://www.foofighters.com/uk/home), just released a 'greatest hits' album I believe.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Nov 2009, 16:05
Now known as UFOs...... You probably still won't see any though.

derelicte
19th Nov 2009, 21:54
What were the RAF crews on about then? I am including uncles who swore they saw them. I am game for any UFO yarns although I know they have a very bad name - when you realise you live an (at least) 10 dimensional universe you know there has got to be something strange going on somewhere.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
20th Nov 2009, 06:49
Try a Google search for Foo Fighters - there are over 13 million references to read through!

chevvron
20th Nov 2009, 13:26
They were mostly reported as 'balls of light' (not to be confused with 'Balls of Steel' on Freeview Ch 18). The Allies thought they were an Axis secret weapon while the Axis thought they were an Allied secret weapon; they were observed in both the European and the Pacific Theatres, plus I believe they were also reported on the US East Coast.

BKS Air Transport
2nd Dec 2009, 17:58
They were usually reported as small balls of light accompanying aircraft. My theory is that they were a form of electrical phenomina generated by some feature of the fighter aircraft of the time, e.g. shape, fast moving, piston engined etc. From what I have read they did not seem to affect larger aircraft, such as bombers, or subsequently jets.
I do, however, stand to be corrected on this. It would be interesting to know if anyone is aware of any later sightings (i.e. post war) perhaps in small GA aircraft? Just to be clear I mean small balls of light very close to an aircraft, and not 'flying saucers/UFOs.'

WHBM
7th Dec 2009, 22:05
Also reported in the earlier days of manned space flight. Gordon Cooper of the early Mercury pilots was the main one to report back the sightings of light trails shadowing his spacecraft. Never satisfactorily explained at the time (early 1960s) but there were references back to WW2 Foo Fighters.