PDA

View Full Version : Help in converting to Kenyan CPL

worldflyer777
18th Nov 2009, 05:18
Hi all, I will be converting my FAA CPL-ME/Instrument to a Kenyan CPL sometime early next year (Jan or Feb). Are there any tips as to how I can prepare for the exam i.e study material, what subjects do i really need to review? I went to the KCAA website and there is a link to download an Examinations Students' Manual but of course the link doesn't work. Also what's a realistic time to finish the conversion process? I'm constrained on time because my employer can only allow so much time off. Any tips and guidance will be much appreciated.

Nightfire
18th Nov 2009, 14:21
Well, if you're not Kenyan citizen, then it's going to be quite complicated, I'm afraid. I did this procedure almost 20 years ago, and nothing has improved since then.

Normally, your employer should assist you. They have the right connections and experience with the authorities. For you to do it on your own, you will find it takes months - during which you need endless patience as well as a lot of driving to/from the KCAA's office at the airport.

Studying wise, it's not a big deal. You will have to sit the air law exam, and the booklet for that is available in Nairobi, not even expensive. Unfortunately it is not available abroad. However, the syllabus is quite similar to that of the UK. You will have plenty of time to study it once you're in Kenya, because all the organization, through the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority, will take lots of time, for example waiting for an exam-date or having your logbook checked.
The studying shouldn't worry you at this stage.

The exams take place in Nairobi at the School of Aviation, once per month; it's all multiple choice.

You may also need to do the radio telephony exam, though not everybody has to do it. I'm not sure what the requirements are to get your previous one converted - some people got it, others didn't. If you have to sit it, it's another written test and an oral part.

And you will, of course, have to do the medical, but that's nothing much to worry about if you already have a valid medical from somewhere else. Takes half a day and is pretty straight forward. The only easy thing to do, actually.

You will stand no chance whatsoever to pass any of the writtens, however, unless you bribe the right person (that's the way things go in Kenya).
This fact, as well as the issue of getting you a working permit for Kenya, has to be sorted out by your employer. They will know how to do it. God help you if you are left to yourself. I really mean it!

Having said that, on the other hand, if the company does have someone with the right connections at the KCAA, then miracles do actually happen.

The KCAA is a horrible nightmare to deal with, as you will see. A bunch of corrupt idiots, will drive you nuts. You need to get past a lady called Naomi, she is the key authority in the office, and asking her a favour is like you are trying to take away the food from a hungry lion.

Good luck! Flying in Kenya is great fun, the people are lovely, and not only I had the greatest period of my life over there. If you bear that in mind, the hassles may still be worth it.

atpcliff
18th Nov 2009, 20:26
Hi!

The whole process is MUCH easier if you have a company that is doing it for you.

I know someone who converted on their own, but they were a Kenyan citizen, and it was still very difficult for them.

Everyone I know passed without bribing someone, but it took at least two tries, as a minimum, to pass.

Even with a company helping you, it is VERY difficult to get a permanent work permit. If you want to fly in East Africa, starting in Tanzania is a lot easier than starting in Kenya.

If your company arranges it, you can pass the Air Law (40 questions, computerized) and get a 90 day Validation of your existing license.

To convert to a Kenyan CAA license, you must pass the Conversion Exam. It is 100 questions (computerized), and they are randomly pulled from all 14 of the CAA test areas. Online, I saw that one site had a database of 24,000 questions that were available for the Conversion Exam to pick from.
NOT EASY!!!

The exams are normally scheduled Tue/Thu, and sometimes they are full. I don't know how much it costs. They charge for EVERYTHING!

The paperwork is another nightmare, and may take a while. If you are US, especially, it is way different here.

Good Luck!
cliff
NBO

worldflyer777
19th Nov 2009, 05:48
Thank you guys for all your responses they have been helpful. I am a Kenyan Citizen so i don't have to worry about the work permit thing but I'm sure the process will be hard regardless. Atpcliff would you happen to have the name of the database website you mentioned?

Nightfire
19th Nov 2009, 14:54
Ah, okay, I see that the exam-procedures have changed since back then. As I mentioned, I did it 20 years ago. But weather it has actually improved is a different question.
Good luck!

atpcliff
19th Nov 2009, 17:41
Hi!

Send me a pm.

I think the process has improved marginally. The paperwork process is still a mess and glacially slow. It should speed up in the future however, as Global Warming is melting all the glaciers.

cliff
NBO

Zeflo27
20th Nov 2009, 06:37
TKK works for some !!:ok:

Loriancc
6th Mar 2010, 20:19
Hello,

Would anyone be able to tell me how many hours are required for a Kenyan CPL?
Also do simulator hours count?

Many Thanks.

perceval
10th Mar 2010, 21:12
ICAO regs 250 hours total .Can't remember about the sim but don't count on it .It definitely counts towards your IR requirements though . Don't forget to get your logbooks certified before coming home to start the process .g'luck !

atpcliff
10th Mar 2010, 22:23
Hi!

To convert, you need 10 hours PIC, I think in the past 12 months, on a plane registered in your home country. Make sure you have that before you show up! Plan for the process to take 3-4 months, and plane your currency accordingly (and make sure your medical is newly current before you come...as you need a current medical to convert).

cliff
NBO

perceval
11th Mar 2010, 22:02
There's actually a couple of FAA approved medical examiners in Nai.Check the current listing on faa.gov.

ponkir
31st May 2010, 21:34
I currently hold a CPL in the USA. Have about 280hours and intend to go fly in Kenya. I did most of my flying about 8 yrs ago, and have only logged about 20 hours since 2003. I am planning to get current in the US, then go convert in Kenya. I have a few questions on this.

1. How much is this process costing nowadays? I have heard numbers between Kshs 300,000 to Kshs 1,000,000. Can anyone provide a more realistic number to work with?

2. How is the job market over there? How much time should one allow till they get a job?

3. What is the least amount of money that one could make flying in Kenya? Helps to know for expense planning

4. I was adviced that if I had type ratings done in the USA, my life would be alot easier. FAA does not issue type ratings on aircrafts below 12,500lbs. How do I go ahead and get type ratings for this?

5. How is the freelance market

atpcliff
1st Jun 2010, 09:45
Hi!

Sim doesn't count.

In Kenya, and the rest of the world, they want to see P1, P1u/s and P2 time: PIC PIC undersupervision and SIC.
P1u/s is when you are flying left seat with an instructor, or after you are licensed for that aircraft, and flying as SIC under the supervision of a PIC.

Tanzania is much easier to get licensed and work in as a foreign pilot....I would try that before Kenya. I would also try to contact some companies before you go to see if you can get a leg up. Coastal Aviation in Dar-es-Salaam has a lot of planes, and they take lower time guys.

cliff
LFW

EchoKilo
3rd Jun 2010, 11:34
Ponkir to answer your questions.

1. How much is this process costing nowadays? I have heard numbers between Kshs 300,000 to Kshs 1,000,000. Can anyone provide a more realistic number to work with?

That is a realistic number to work with. It depends on mostly your flying. If you dont have 10 PIC hours in the last 6 months you have to fly them before converting. At roughly KShs 20,000/hr for Single engine P1. Then the multi IR conversion at roughly KShs 40,000/hr and you'll need a minimum 8hrs. Conversion exams, medicals, ground school (if you so wish to do them), transport, accomodation, misc expenses etc etc...1 million is on the higher side but it could happen.

2. How is the job market over there? How much time should one allow till they get a job?

The market is ok. With KQ hiring at the moment, some space will be opening up at Wilson. After conversions, give yourself a few months, but you'll eventually land a job somewhere. Conversion could take a while if you dont nail that conversion exam in 1,2 or 3 attempts.

3. What is the least amount of money that one could make flying in Kenya? Helps to know for expense planning

You could make very little, as little as 20k a month if you fly at Wilson for one of those matatu like ops ferrying folks to Meru and stuff. Initially at the airlines you wont make much, wont even get to 90k for the first few months. It goes up after you check out as FO.

4. I was adviced that if I had type ratings done in the USA, my life would be alot easier. FAA does not issue type ratings on aircrafts below 12,500lbs. How do I go ahead and get type ratings for this?

Dont bother with type ratings, they wont help. I doubt you'll end up flying the same types when you land a job here. But if you have plenty of cash to spare get EMB170/5 type, then you'll be very attractve to KQ. Otherwise save that cash, Nairobi has become very expensive.

5. How is the freelance market

Thats a new one to me. Whats a freelance market? Good luck.

ponkir
4th Jun 2010, 14:16
atp... Thanks for the feedback. Great to hear that Tanzania may still be an option. I have been trying to get intouch with ALS, 748 services, bluebird Aviation etc to try and see if I can get a leg up. If you have specific contacts/decision makers that you know of in these companies, please let me know and i will contact them accordingly.

EchoKilo... Thanks for the comprehensive summary. It it a little scary as to how low tha pay can become. Makes me slightly nervous. Part of the reason is that I have a very stable job here in the US as an engineer, and just wanting to get back to Kenya through flying. It is a risky move, especially if I dont catch something in a few months. Typically what is the longest time that one can potentially stay without a job?

As for the freelance.. What I mean't was just want u answered.. Flying the matatu routes etc.

Anyways.. also curious to know if you are flying in kenya at the moment. Please let me know. Thanks