PDA

View Full Version : The average day.....

Funkie
21st Aug 2001, 22:55
Hi all,

I have recently been to my local AFCO and have been told that I posses that certain quality to be sent to Cranwell to meet and impress those who matter, in my quest to becoming a pilot.

My question is this, what is life as a fast jet or multi-engine pilot like.

I'm aware that there are various 'additional duties' that come with being an officer, but I'm more interested in the flying, how often this really happens, and the social life.

I await your response with anticipation.

Regards,

Specaircrew
22nd Aug 2001, 00:06
Being constantly pestered by women for sex is one of the downsides, but there's always the free beer and tax free salary to compensate!

Funkie
22nd Aug 2001, 00:17
Well that just about seals it for me...

Any more info would be grate

Fra

Big Green Arrow
22nd Aug 2001, 01:03
Don't forget the swanky uniform to boot!

The average rotary mate gets a nose bleed above 3000ft, and we are all home for tea and medals....goggles on, chox away and last one back's a homo...wait statistics say that most of us are....oh dear!

Standz back for pc/moral backlash.

BEagle
22nd Aug 2001, 01:33
When one lives in Mess, one's batman brings one a goblet of chilled Buck's Fizz to start the day at around 0900. A second glass is also brought for whichever concubine has begged to provide the previous night's entertainment. Then one has a leisurely bath, attended to by the same concubine, before a light three course breakfast served off silver chafing dishes by the mess staff. At around 1030, one reads the day's papers before driving one's Aston over to the flight line. A little light banter with one's rigger and one's fitter, then into one's personal aeroplane for a little harry doggers with one's chums before going back to the Mess for lunch - a simple affair of no more than four or five courses. After port and cigars at around 1500 one toddles back to the flight line to check that all the paperwork is being sorted out by the squadron admin bods, then back for Earl Grey and some Gentlemen's Relish sandwiches for afternoon tea. A short nap and it's time for a sharpening G&T before bathing and changing into Mess Kit for dinner. This is slightly more elaborate than luncheon, after a few more G&Ts, a five or six course dinner is provided courtesy of the grateful taxpayer, of course, including some reasonable wines and some fine cognac. One then selects one's concubine and retires to one's suite of rooms, instructing one's batman to turn down the four-poster.

It's like that on busy days; usually the requirement to attend the flightline in the hour between post-luncheon brandy and afternoon tea can be waived.........

[ 21 August 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

ShyTorque
22nd Aug 2001, 03:37
I say, Beags old chap,

Aww you say is perfectwy twue unwess one's pater is wich enough to be able to buy one a post on hewicopters. Then one starts the day by baiwing out one's twench so hastiwy dug the night before...

An then we licks t'road clean wit' tongue before t'breakfast of a 'andfull o't corld gravel!

Oh, no not again!

ShyT :D

Funkie
22nd Aug 2001, 21:20
Glad to see that one has a sense of humour.

Many thanks chaps.

[ 22 August 2001: Message edited by: Fra ]

opso
22nd Aug 2001, 22:19
Fra,

Like any job, there are good and bad days - unlike most jobs, this extends from the truly awful to the bloody brilliant! No civvy office wallah will have to put up with being shot at in the desert/Balkans/sh*thole in Africa on a bad day, but they'll never get to tear down a valley at 150' doing 420kts with their ass on fire! This is not a job for people that want the security of getting in a rut.

SARBoy Loser
24th Aug 2001, 20:14
Fra,
not every job in the airforce is all hard work, sadly some chaps have to go 'overseas' alot, which generally ******s up their life to some degree. Many of my rotory friends like living in tents, however I prefer my slippers and cocoa of an evening.Once every fortnight or so we get what's known as a 'job' which usually involves winching some fat bird off a footpath after she's twisted her ankle. Then it's back to the flight to watch the telly to see how great we were.

Come to think of it, why am I leaving? Oh no hang on, I remember now! Still it would spoil the fun and anticipation for you if I gave the game away, so join now, your country needs you! :p

wyvern
24th Aug 2001, 23:20
Don't you still have the Vera Lynn records and bacon and eggs when you return from ops, as we did in the early 70s?

ol_benkenobi
24th Aug 2001, 23:46
Fra,
and SAR bloke
thanks for input and i thanks you SAR for not stretching into areas which some of your compatriots feel that they should comment on ie. getting shot at and being generally down in the *****.