PDA

View Full Version : RAF / Air Training Corps Work Experience

NDW
17th Nov 2009, 13:46
Afternoon all,

Recieved my application form for RAF NCA Work Experience this morning, chuffed to bits, got to fill out all neccessary qualifications and achievements, but hopefully I might be in with a chance of getting a placement :ok:.

The placement itself is a week-long, and held at either Shawbury, Lyneham or Cranwell.

I think it might be a new training ground course with the Air Cadets, but has anyone done anything similar before?

Thanks

LookingUpInHope
17th Nov 2009, 15:40
Way back in the (very) early 90's, we did two weeks of work experience through school. I did my two weeks with the GEF at RAF Wyton. I think they were a bit surprised to have a fourteen-year-old female Air Cadet about the place, but I had an absolute whale of a time and learnt a heck of a lot. Those were two of the best weeks of my life. Good luck!

Gainesy
17th Nov 2009, 15:43
Well Done you!
Do you have a choice as to which Station?

NDW
17th Nov 2009, 16:06
Thanks for the reply's.

Regarding the stations, at the moment, as its still under application phase, unfortunately not.

To be honest, Anyone of those stations would be excellent.

Lets just hope I'm fortunate enough to get one of the placements, not really sure how many are offered every year.

But they did also tell me about the RAF PJFT that I will have to participate, but I joined a local gym nearly 2 months ago, so the 1.5 mile run, hopefully will be fine. Sit ups and press ups should be fine.

And as a reference, I will have to get my Squadron CO to fill out a referendum sheet included with the application, so basically HQAC can see if they think I have the determination to do the week - which I do 100% :ok:.

So will be filling the form out this week, and sent off for next week, and hopefully will hear within the next few months if my application has been authorised.

Thanks

vecvechookattack
17th Nov 2009, 22:59
not really sure how many are offered every year.

Quite a lot. At yeovilton there are abut 200 placements a year....much the same for Culdrose.

NDW
18th Nov 2009, 15:20
Thats excellent news to hear, I just hope it will be the same with all courses.

WASALOADIE
18th Nov 2009, 20:44
First of all, good luck with your application.

You will find that the NCA liaison team at Cranwell will run the week and take you on visits including Shawbury and Lyneham. This is mainly due to the fact that the main pull is from the WSOp Crewman side. I hope you enjoy your WE, I may see you at Shropshire's secret airbase as I sometimes get involved with the visits.

Regards

Wasaloadie

Aerouk
18th Nov 2009, 23:17
I done a similar thing when I was a cadet.

We were offered the chance to go work with different departments throughout the week so the first day we would go work with the ground crew at 56 sqn then we went over to the RAF Police to check out their dogs, followed by a visit to the controller tower and the paint shop to see the aircraft being painted.

Dan Winterland
18th Nov 2009, 23:49
I did 2 weeks with ASF at Coltishall when I was 15. Mostly, I made a lot of tea, but once or twice they did let me take a screwdriver to an aircraft - while being very carefully supervised!

LXGB
5th Dec 2009, 22:49
I had a cracking time at Scampton in the '80s as a young Space Cadet.
Enjoyed a productive day in the station armoury unwrapping brand new SA80s from plastic bags. Went on a day trip to Donna to watch A10s. Spent a few fuzzy evenings in the Flying Bowman Club. Top Bombing! :ok:

RUCAWO
6th Dec 2009, 11:24
Three of my cadets attended the camps last year, one NCA,one Regiment and one RAFP,all really enjoyed them two have applied to join the third is waiting to get his A levels.Go for it you will not regret it ,by the way for some reason they are usually undersubscribed.

top_cover
7th Dec 2009, 07:27
Have recently started working with cadets, and would like to know how to apply for work experience as have a few that are interested, could somebody pass on a contact or address to get the info,
tks
TC

Sook
7th Dec 2009, 12:44
TC,

It's on the HQAC Bader sharepoint site. If you don't have access have a word with your CO or Wing ExO. They were also in some recent CROs which should be at your Squadron.