PDA

View Full Version : Immersion Suits

Akrotiri bad boy
17th Nov 2009, 13:00
Busy day today in Plymouth Sound: watched a Merlin playing with
HMS Albion, landing on just in time for lunch in the wardroom. As the Merlin shut down a BIH S61 hoved into view and after a view circuits also landed on. This must make a nice change for the S61 crew after interminable Tresco shuttle runs.

Seeing the two helos on deck got me to thinking; whilst the RN crew gently dissolve in their dry bags do the BIH crew operate alongside in short sleeves and slacks?

Shack37
17th Nov 2009, 16:25
Very unlikely I would think, all crew and pax travelling eg to and from offshore oil/gas installations wear survival suits, elf n safety yer know.

MightyGem
17th Nov 2009, 21:30
Yes, but the Tresco run is a standard fare paying pax trip to the Scillies. I don't think that joe public and his wife would be too impressed about having to wear an immersion suit, and would probably be none to happy if the crew were wearing them.

Tankertrashnav
17th Nov 2009, 22:12
Bit early for thread drift, but on my one and only trip to Tresco I was singled out and submitted to a pat-down search before boarding at "Tresco International Heliport" (cant remember if it was the man or the dog who did the patdown). Wife was highly amused, it was a day-trip birthday treat for her and it all added to the fun!

This was July so no-one was in immersion suits - dunno about winter but I'm pretty sure not.

orca
18th Nov 2009, 20:56
The last time i hitched a rotary ride to HM Turd Barge on HTUFT it was definitely bag season for us but not for the helo crew.

Beancountercymru
18th Nov 2009, 21:35
This must make a nice change for the S61 crew after interminable Tresco shuttle runs.

I thought Tesco delivered?

RubiC Cube
19th Nov 2009, 00:41
Tankertrashnav Bit early for thread drift,

How about now? Immersion suits, Plymouth Sound, Dinghy Drills. Was it always extremely choppy and cold regardless of the time of year. Mount Batten seemed like a second home at times, happy days.

onevan
19th Nov 2009, 09:57
Back to the thread:

Tresco/Scillies run no goon bags/ LSJ etc as the route falls within the rule ' always within 10 minutes of land'.

Plymouth - Fosties in bags sea temp less than 15, crew bags once sea temp less than 10 or at night.

Tankertrashnav
19th Nov 2009, 11:49
Immersion suits, Plymouth Sound, Dinghy Drills.

Too right Rubic - I remember doing my first one in March when the sea temp is about as cold as it gets. Vivid memory of the whole crew in a 5-man liferaft throwing up in turn as we bobbed around waiting for the Whirlwind!

As you say - happy days :hmm:

Old Hairy
19th Nov 2009, 12:02
No it was the bit on the certificate they issued which said,""has with fortitude undergone the rigerous requirements". that plus the entirely ridiculous checking the thermometer on the pier,before issuing damp salty overalls.As if we had any choice.Ever met anyone who did the course in the summer months? No thought not

Immersion Suits....Wots that?

Thud_and_Blunder
19th Nov 2009, 21:03
Courses only used to start in October - the earliest was the best one to get on, as the land phase still had lots of tinder/kindling/firewood in the Secret Forest.

Immersion suits - used to use them for sea drills in HK. Nothing to do with the sea temperature (sometimes up around 25-26 deg C), everything to do with the harbour trout/box jellyfish with which we used to share the briny.