PDA

View Full Version : FTE Assessment 2009

JSB79
17th Nov 2009, 11:57
Hi,

I’m heading out to Jerez within the next few days to do my FTE assessment. I was just wondering if anyone has sat it recently and had any up-to-date information on it?

I just want to get a feel for how it is? How difficult or easy each test may be? And most of all what sort of questions they ask in the interview?

Any feedback would be helpful!

Many thanks
J :ok:

silverknapper
17th Nov 2009, 14:13
Q1: Cheque or BACS transfer?
Q2: When can you start?

veetwo
17th Nov 2009, 16:40
My mate is an instructor at Jerez. The place is absolutely desperate for students... so desperate they are making instructors redundant.

The only question you are likely to be asked is: where is your money?

imarkd
17th Nov 2009, 17:47
I'm glad someone has brought up FTE actually. I was going to make a post asking a few questions myself as current information seems to be quite scarce.

I visited FTE at the LHR Flyer event in October. I have to say, I got a really good feeling about them at the time, and surprisingly they impressed me more than CTC or Oxford. However, as always, I'm trying to see past the marketing spin so I would really like to hear from FTE students, past and present, about their experiences of life at FTE and what you make of the teaching quality.

Also for those who are at the end of your training or nearing it, are FTE doing anything constructive to keep you current if no job offers have come your way?

Thanks for the help guys and good luck to everyone! :ok:

Wee Weasley Welshman
17th Nov 2009, 19:44
I can confirm they have laid off instructors. Around 5 went in the last month or so. I don't know much about the place any more (I was an instructor there a decade or so ago). I remember the tests being introduced. Part to filter off the clearly inept but also they were introduced to add kudos to the Jerez brand (you had to 'get in') and to give parents a twig of confidence to hold onto that Johnny was not going to be a waste of a second mortgage.

Most have always passed. Don't worry. Do some mental arithmetic and buy a 99p puzzle book and you'll be as well armed as you need to be. Your chequebook is probably more important than your aptitude in these times of turbulence.

Good luck,

ps Whats the latest course price out of curiosity?

captain_quagmire
17th Nov 2009, 20:57
Best advice i can give is to go out and visit the place, the lifestyle and style of the course is not for everyone. I think the people who struggle most with adapting are the more mature students and those with families etc, if your young free and single then you shouldnt have a problem.

I trained there and overall was very happy with the place, like most companies its got a few niggles. However never had any major problems, whereas i have heard lots of horror stories from friends who trained at Cabair and OAA.

One thing that stood out for me is that they are always totally honest with you(unlike some schools) and they do know what their doing. You graduate on a set date as well, unlike OAA and theres no hidden costs with the course.

Some nice scenery to learn your trade, an early morning run down to the gib straits cannot be beaten. The trip to Faro for solo circuits is particularly memorable.

Yes i hear they have had problems, who hasnt at the moment? Supply and demand, simple as.

JSB79
17th Nov 2009, 21:46
That’s a very good point actually. I also went to that Flyer exhibition back in April. This marketing campaign they have running this year did concern me too. Especially now learning that they are laying off instructors.

Thank you all for your feedback so far, especially you Captain. How was life straight after the course? Did you find employment straight away? If not, were you able to stay on and continue training until you found a job?

EZYramper
18th Nov 2009, 22:53
FTE Jerez: Integrated JAR ATPL Course (http://www.ftejerez.com/courses/integrated/atpl.php)

£81,000

:eek:

Adios
18th Nov 2009, 23:09
I suppose it's less challenging for FTE to finish students spot on time given the good weather they have, but there could be something said that training in the more challenging UK weather is good experience to have, not to mention that there is a larger variety of aerodromes for IR training. There is a price for the versatility you might get from UK training, as the extra challenge means IR re-flies for more students. As always, horses for courses.

captain_quagmire
19th Nov 2009, 05:58
I wouldnt underestimate the weather in spain by any means. The worst weather i have ever flown in, and seen from the ground was in my time in spain.

Granted the summer weather is absolutely great, but when your headed towards winter things take a massive turn weatherwise. Combine this with some very tall mountains nearby(10,000ft+ for one of them), Its certainly an experience especially when you have the freezing level lower than the mountains themselves.

turbulentmonkey
20th Nov 2009, 16:54
JSB79, I went down to Jerez earlier in the year (June) to sit aptitude tests and interviews. You sit the tests and have an interview with an instructor straight after - it's formal but very relaxed. If you pass that then it's an interview with one of the three owners. I did get offered a place and done well on tests/interviews. But just remember the school doesnt have a lot of students starting at the moment, due to the current climate. They wont put much emphasis on how well you do - if you show reasonable ability they will jump to offering you a place. I saw a rumour that they have payed off 5 instructors on here. Anyway, I got home and considered all my options, here is what i decided:

The school is great
The standard of teaching is excellent
It would definetly be one of the best years of your life
It would be hard, intensive and rewarding
And also...
It cost £81000..... :yuk:

I travelled there to see the place for myself and came back home with my mind set on it. But the costs involved just didnt add up. 15 grand for a years accomodation? WTF? The payback on the loan is around 1K a month for 10 years. Think of how much you would actually be earning then (by that i mean in your pocket - after tax!).

Remember you can do it for half the price. :ok:

monkey

Deep_stall
20th Nov 2009, 23:41
Did my training there.

The training cannot be faulted at all, the ground school and flying training is (or at least was) absolutely first class. The locations nice and the early morning solo's down to the Gibraltar straights were very enjoyable, as was the trip to Faro for the solo night circuits.

My one gripe about FTE is that they were pretty thin on the career side of things. The course is designed to get somebody into the right hand seat of an airliner and 2 days of CV and interview techniques just didn't really feel adequate. I appreciate that each individual must do their own work for this but it would have been nice to have it spread over a longer and more structured period.

My FTE days were the best days of my life (until I started the real thing of course!) and I would strongly reccommend them as an option to anyone considering ATPL training.

Feel free to PM if you want any further info.

JSB79
26th Nov 2009, 20:45
Thanks turbulentmonkey, and thanks to all of you guys for your input. It was all very helpful and has given me a lot to think about.

J :ok:

Chief Brody
27th Nov 2009, 15:41
Was in Jerez for a modular course (about 3 months) in 2005.

Back then modular students accounted for about 5% of the total student body and it was a little bit 'them and us.'

Two of us walked straight into airline jobs (BAConnect and Flybe) and of the other two one had joined Eastern within 12 months of leaving - don't know what happened to the other modulite. Having spent 2 years with Flybe I was fortunate to join BA and now fly the bus.

Overall very impressed with the standard to practical training (i.e. in the aircraft) - cannot speak for the ground school as I did the self improver route and as such did it elsewhere - my bedroom via a distance learning course. Was also impressed with the degree to which the faculty assisted with airline placements - was easier back then because the good times were still pretty much in full swing. In my personal opinion the recipe to getting an airline placement is:

Make sure you pass your theoretical exams 85% average or higher
Keep your nose clean and don't do anything you'll regret at the leaving interview
Pass the CPL and IR practical exams first time
Keep on the good side of the fat controller (head MCC guy) - you'll know him when you see him** Be very careful of this guy - nearly a year of keeping your nose clean and good grades could be all for nought if he decides he doesn't like you!!!

Lots of fun to be had - loads of sunshine, cheap beer, women of loose moral fibre just up the road, Jerez town has some great hangouts.

There will of course be times when everyone has to knuckle down - but hey you're all adults you'll know when to hit the town and when to hit the books.

Take care all and stay blue side up,

Brody

veetwo
27th Nov 2009, 17:50
The fat controller was booted from his position of MCC chief last year as I believe there were several complaints about his attitude/behavior. Quite rightly too I might add - for someone who was supposed to be teaching CRM he displayed an appalling lack of it himself. Almost as appalling infact as the discretion of the present head of training, who clearly still thinks he is in the RAF. Nevertheless, Jerez are at least to be commended for appointing a fantastic replacement to the MCC post - you are unlikely to suffer the same treatment anymore.

In fact thinking about it, if there was one thing I found lacking at Jerez it was the attitude of a few of the senior management (and one scottish flight instructor - jerez past and present will know of whom I speak) who seemed to have completely forgotten that you were the customer paying tens of thousands of pounds to be there.

I hasten to add that for the most part, the instruction I received at Jerez was second to none.

V2

CaptainElectron
27th Nov 2009, 21:17
Agree with V2 - there are (and 1 less now thankfully) a couple of bad apples, but other than that FTE is (other than the price-tag) ideal.

chris_gowers
3rd Dec 2009, 07:50
WWW, as you say, you are 10 years out of date. Check your facts and stop spreading idle and misleading gossip!

RoyHudd
3rd Dec 2009, 08:53
Bit rude, Mr. Gowers.

You've just failed your CRM!

chris_gowers
3rd Dec 2009, 14:31
You have the advantage Mr Hudd! You know who I am as I don't hide behind a fanciful nom de plume. Who are you??

antonov09
3rd Dec 2009, 15:26
Anonymity is quite the norm on this forum. Reason being, and I am sure most people on this forum would agree, aviation is a very very small world.

BigDoris
3rd Dec 2009, 20:56
The assessment is fairly straight forward as is the interview. Was well over a year ago when I did all of that though so things may have changed. :}

I subsequently went on to complete the course over there. I absolutely loved my time over there. Excellent standard of instruction both on the ground and in the air.

It may be a nice climate but don't assume this means easy flying. The flying can still be challenging especially with the low level convection currents and strong crosswinds. :ok:

Yeah, the internet dies once in a while and Manolo will wake you up at 8am on your days off with his bloody leaf blower but all in all, it's a sound place to study. Certainly there's a great sense of community also and the place does not favour arseholes, which is nice. :=

Goodluck with it all and if you need anymore info please feel free to PM me. :ok:

Jon Palmer
4th Dec 2009, 20:20
The last post is very accurate. FTE is a great place to study. The city is very interesting, the campus and facilites first class. Ground school is excellent. The vast majority of the flying instructors are also very good.
The CFI is top rate (and a gentleman), despite the several bo***ckings he gave me! However, my mate, currently there, tells me a number of instructors have been made redundant. What amazes me is why good people have been let go and the several "bad eggs", and that is putting it mildly, continue to rant.
I was lucky and finished while jobs were still available (A320). I have very happy memories of FTE (I made sure I avoided the above mentioned) and wish it the very best for the future. :confused::confused::confused:

chris_gowers
11th Dec 2009, 11:03
What a nice guy you are Jon!

chileconcarne27
4th Jan 2010, 21:08
Having recently (within the last six months) graduated from FTE, i can say with absolute confidence that i wouldn't have wanted to train anywhere else!

The campus lifestyle makes it as easy as possible for the students to study and do well in exams, the food is ok but repetitive, and the bar is the place where you will always have someone to talk to....even if it is you reflection in the mirror at the end of a long night...!

As with everyone training organisation, there will be people who you won't get on with (both students and staff) but that just makes a good mix. I have made some solid friends for life from my time in Jerez and only wish that other people are as lucky as me in the future.

The last year's worth of courses have all graduated under the worst possible circumstances when it comes to looking for the first flying job but you can guarantee that FTE have set you up with the best possible opportunities...groundschool is tough but that goes without saying, the flying is a challenge and there isn't much time to go over things when you struggle but it does all come together at the end.

Would i do it all again if i could? Without a moment's hesitation :)

BigDoris
6th Jan 2010, 13:53
As above. :ok:

Chileconcarne - Hope all goes well with a certain interview I heard about. Now you just have to guess who I am. :E :p

Sharky12t
6th Jan 2010, 16:24
Glad to see all the positive posts so I'll happily add another.

I graduated from FTE mid 2008, just in time, as the job market dried up very soon after. I was offered my current position while still training, very grateful for it and I'm certain I wouldn't have had the opportunity had I been at any other school.

I thought I'd struggle a little with the groundschool but I found the instruction and the instructors were excellent, can't fault it at all and it was a pleasure to learn there.

On the flying side the fleet were excellently maintained, readily available give or take a few occasions when the flying program was busy due to poor weather previously, I dont doubt other schools have similar problems. I got on well with all my instructors and the instruction itself was excellent, I achieved 1st time passes in CPL and IR, speaks for itself.

Having the accomodation, meals and facilities all included and on base was a big deciding factor for me, the rooms are good and it's very convenient.

I'd like to thank everyone at FTE and wish them all well, even "the fat controller" who despite a rocky start for the MCC, taught me some invaluble lessons which I'm grateful for to this day.

All the best.

Ben-B
1st Feb 2010, 15:21
FTE came to Leeds Uni to conduct assessments for the Aviation Technology students, which I passed.

They have since invited most of us to Jerez for an interview (when I say invited... they told us they'd let us know... but we had to keep sending emails reminding them).

Four of my coursemates went last week and all were offered a place at FTE. I am planning to go in March or April, during my Easter holidays (wanting to focus on my dissertation now, rather than interview preparation etc).

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what questions I should be asking them at the end of the interview?

Thanks, BB

r44flyer
1st Feb 2010, 21:21
Does anybody have any suggestions as to what questions I should be asking them at the end of the interview?

Ask them whatever you like, they will tell you what they think you want to hear. They are a business and need your money, whether you happen to get a job at the end or not.

I would focus on your degree studies, then get a half decent job for a couple of years, THEN consider your training. You're young, you have time on your side to work for a bit and save some cash, and possibly get another qualification to fall back on. I know you want to fly a shiny yet tomorrow, but it's the sensible and realistic choice to delay it.

Your best bet is to get on a mentored scheme. Flybe provides arguably the best opportunity available in present times, but it doesn't take many. I did the same degree course, graduating in 2007, and I know of perhaps 2 or 3 guys from my year that are now starting employment, 2 were on mentored schemes and the other forked out for the TR deal with Ryanair. I don't know of anyone else with any promising leads.