PDA

View Full Version : VC-10 at Stansted?!?

Wee Weasley Welshman
21st Aug 2001, 17:22
There appears to be a quite pointy grey aircraft dripping oil all over my apron this morning... According to some faded old aircraft recognition posters lying forgotten in a cupboard in the Tower it is a VC10...

BEagle, have you come to visit me?

BEagle
21st Aug 2001, 19:26
Not me mate! But I know a man or two who did..

Hope the noise of the departure didn't scare you too much!

Gainesy
21st Aug 2001, 20:03
Mrs Blair forget the baby food then? :rolleyes:

Wee Weasley Welshman
21st Aug 2001, 22:28
Oh so that sound was the departure! I thought it was the seams of the universe rendering as the end of the world occurred... ;)

Any reason for the visit or would you have to shoot me if you told me?

Firestreak
21st Aug 2001, 23:46
For heavens sake, nobody must admit that an one of HM's a/c was seen away from home plate, otherwise the Sun will have another story about aircrew having a fine old time on tax payers money on the Costa del ?????? er Stanstead.

MrBernoulli
22nd Aug 2001, 00:13
Yes, Her Majesty's finest noisy 4-jet T-tail does get around a bit.......even at her age.

BEagle
22nd Aug 2001, 01:05
Don't tell the Sun (1): We were all invited over to party with the Essex girls and the Irish ladies from RyanAir. So we filled up a jet with party animals and duty-free and nipped over for a great time, then flew home once we'd found anyone sober enough to drive.........

Don't tell the Sun (2): We had a number of aircrew needing to go to airline interviews, so we 'borrowed' a jet and flew over to the RyanAir recruiting office.........

No - of course we didn't! Just a routine DTMA trip, nothing special. Hope you liked the 'sound of freedom' from a Conway quartet!!

Whipping Boy's SATCO
22nd Aug 2001, 01:07
Had it been hijacked by some un-imprest CO-pilots?

Arty
22nd Aug 2001, 01:52
Actually BEagle, I was more impressed with the contents of my hankerchief the last time I blew my nose.

Oh sorry, wrong thread!

SPIT
22nd Aug 2001, 02:29
Bring one to LIVERPOOL. I am sure some people would enjoy the sound of FOUR CONWAYS again and I promise that the Tyres and Wheels will be SAFE??? :D :D :D

The Sweeper
22nd Aug 2001, 15:03
As part on an ongoing refinancing project, the RAF recently fired all their costly maintenance staff in order to employ some young unemployed youths from Liverpool.

The decision to hire them was brought on by a documentary on how unemployed youths from the Liverpool area can strip and rebuild vehicles of all descriptions in under an hour without proper equipment. This was thought to be a good move, as too many RAF vehicles were spending too much time in the hanger awaiting repair, thus seriously depleting the RAF's ability to visit the duty-free centres of the world.

However the RAF soon encountered a major problem. During a visit by a VC10 to Stansted, described by the crew as a "show the flag" visit and "nothing to do with a PPRUNE bash," the lads not only demonstrated their efficiency by changing the engines, tyres, etc., of a VC10 in under an hour but within two hours they had resprayed and sold the aeroplane to Ryanair as a "new type of Airbus, honest."

The VC10 pilot, interrupted whilst being measured for his new BA uniform, was quoted as saying: "Bugger, I only left it for a few minutes! How are we going to get the duty-free home now?"

sprucemoose
22nd Aug 2001, 15:59
While we're winding the Sun up, while passing through Calagary on either side of my holiday I saw a RAF Tristar parked up (couldn't see the reg, but doubt it was same one given the fortnight gap). Rumour had it they were waiting to load up with Moosehead lager for the next squadron do!

I also saw a C-130 at Calgary on the way out - funny, but as with the Macedonian deployment, it wasn't a J.

Top Loadie
23rd Aug 2001, 03:25
I heard the cabin vibrations from the Dowty-5-blades make the beer all frothy. Gives your pint a collar like a Pit-Bull....

sprucemoose
23rd Aug 2001, 11:48
Fine Pitch - I'm not saying that the J isn't involved in the Macedonian work, but I don't recall having seen any TV pictures or photos of one at Skopje. Are they involved then, or saving themselves for the Omani ex while the C-17s hog the limelight?