PDA

View Full Version : Old Fighters

CAVU
30th Jul 2001, 18:44
Just a couple of questions for any military IPs or pilots. All comments welcome, but would specifically appreciate FJ input.

What was the age of the oldest guy you know to have successfully completed FJ training?

What experience do you IPs have with older students good/bad?

Cooperman
31st Jul 2001, 06:12
Can't say FJ, it's elitist. Sorry, different thread!

Twenty nine was the oldest I recall - when the guys were 'holding' for ages to hit Valley. There were a few that age and they did OK. Not helped though by the fact that at the time a mate of mine on the sqn became a scribbling bleeder at 28!

"you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is the saying. Sometimes true. Younger (less experienced) guys seem to accept the system more easily. I'd go along with this.

Certainly as I get older it gets harder..ooooerrr missus.

Get 'em young.

Moosa Aswayita! :)

CAVU
31st Jul 2001, 20:42
Cooperman-Thanks for the response.

Sorry matey, I focused on fast jet because of the spare capacity required for ACM and low level, high speed flight- didn't know "FJ pilot"'s now an elitist term. Maybe we should refer to you guys as " Very Special people, who are high altitude and slow speed challenged!" Never was one for PC.

I'm inferring you're an IP, though I don't know if you're also civie qualified (ATPL), but I'd like to ask you a hypothetical question. Suppose you had a guy who was 29 years old, Captain on a CRJ, flew aerobatics on the weekends- How would you rate his chances of success to become a VSPHASSC next to younger "ab-initio" guy.
Assume a ferocious commtiment from the old ba$tard.

Input any other from military instructors is welcome.

[ 31 July 2001: Message edited by: CAVU ]

Cooperman
31st Jul 2001, 22:21
CAVU - As good as anybody elses! Someone who can already fly at least knows that the coordination thing is not a problem.

Twenty nine is still young enough by miles. The world's air forces could alleviate the pilot shortage by tapping into the no doubt huge resource of 25+ year olds who would like to fly in the military. On civvy street you can start most careers whenever you want, provided you have the qualifications and abilities required.

Obviously there is an age at which military flying training might become impractical. I don't know what that age is but there are some really old farts still flying in the RAF and they do just fine.

Moosa Aswayita! ;)