PDA

View Full Version : Medical discharge

stbd beam
21st Aug 2001, 13:13
A colleague has just recently been diagnosed with hearing probs after a visit to P'boro and is facing a medical discharge in 4 months. His hearing was fine when he joined up and is now shot through after working on Canberras and other noisy types. I have heard of many such cases being compensated by the RAF, but wondered what was the quickest and most successful course of action for him to follow. Sorry for scant details.

[ 21 August 2001: Message edited by: stbd beam ]

Titan Locked
21st Aug 2001, 16:08
Try the British Legion - my wife suffered a back injury during her basic training which whilst not life threatening etc causes discomfort during the cold, damp months (ie all year round in UK). The British Legion took up the case (similar to a War Pension I believe!!) and with one home visit by a GP, and access to her medical records, she got a one off payment of £4K - better than nothing!

I would have thought your friends case was a cert - I'll post further details of contact addresses etc if I can find them when I'm back home.

TL

Perky Penguin
21st Aug 2001, 20:49
Having started life in the RAF before ear defenders,with loads of screaming jet engines, indoor shooting ranges etc my hearing is wrecked. I don't think the RAF are interested and one has to apply to the War Pensions Agency (which has just undergone some re-branding exercise.) I was turned down because they have changed the basis for compensation in that only hearing loss below 250 hz is considered. This equates to about middle 'C' on a piano. Thus, all high tone hearing loss is simply not considered. I am almost deaf and my £1000+ hearing aid helps a bit.

tonka
21st Aug 2001, 22:15
My wife suffered a medical discharge. Couple of trips to the clinic and its cleared up nicely though.

Chris Kebab
25th Aug 2001, 23:45
Hearing is treated quite strangely by the War Pensions Agency (who, despite the name, will give you any disability pension) mainly I think because of all the aircrew who used to claimed for the old "high-tone deafness", it was great till I got posted Buccs etc, etc..! The hearing rules changed a while back and I do not think you can claim anything if your hearing loss is less than 20%. He must call the British Legion, and be prepared to appeal immediately they make their first assessment. Mind you if it's at a discharge level chances are it may be above 20%.

Wish him good luck.