PDA

View Full Version : ANY NEWS ON RETENTION?

Pete O'Heater
21st Aug 2001, 11:22
Has anyone heard of how the RAF plans to stop the pilot exodus? The rumour mill seems to have slowed to a halt on this one.

massingbird
21st Aug 2001, 18:06
Yeah it's called Saif Sareea III (This time it's personal) starting in March. Twice as many people but no tents (they'll all be in Macedonia so we sleep under the stars).

Pete O'Heater
22nd Aug 2001, 10:43
So the answer to my question is no then!
Anyone got a sensible answer to the original post?

BEagle
22nd Aug 2001, 11:08
CAA accreditation has been secured meaning that it is in every FW (and soon RW) pilot's interest to serve until at least meeting the minimum hours/experience criteria if they wish to start a second career in the airlines - i.e. mid to late 30s. What happens beyond that point needs to be addressed with some vigour - and that's why various teams have been touring the stations and seeking opinion. Similarly, changes to pension levels for aircrew reflecting their full take-home pay including flying pay have been almost universally called for. The team have finished their information gathering and are now compiling the report for CAS to receive this autumn.

How many sqn mates do you meet in their 40s these days? Either they're young and intend leaving for the airlines at or before 38, or they're at or beyond 50 and don't relish starting a new career - particularly if that means losing things like boarding school allowance!

Personally I think that, after 38, the slope of the pay v. time served curve should be amended to target the mid-40s at least. As well, of course, as basing all aircrew pensions at NRD on the best of the previous 3 years' salaries........

[ 22 August 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

15/15 flex
22nd Aug 2001, 19:15
Mid to late thirties........late 20's for some of us!

:D :D :D

SinkingMallard
22nd Aug 2001, 22:53
BEagle,

Any idea how soon CAA accreditation for RW will come into existence?

[ 22 August 2001: Message edited by: SinkingMallard ]

BEagle
22nd Aug 2001, 23:22
Sinking Mallard - although I have been appraised of the current situation regarding RW accreditation, I have been asked to keep this information in confidence. I'm not going to break this trust, but rest assured that something will be forthcoming soon.

djwarren
23rd Aug 2001, 23:11
BEagle

Any idea whether accreditation is twin-wing master race only, or will the other unknown aircrew get any look in?
:confused:

BEagle
23rd Aug 2001, 23:54
See above. Also please see the latest information from TGDA at http://www.tgda.gov.uk/CAA_Accreditation/CAAAccreditation.htm . You will note that the RW sections are not yet available; however, they will be before too long!

[ 23 August 2001: Message edited by: BEagle ]

djwarren
27th Aug 2001, 00:22
Cheers BEagle

Retention isn't a dirty word, although crevice might be...

:p :p

JimNich
27th Aug 2001, 01:07
BEagle,

These "teams" that are "touring" our stations and "seeking opinions" with vigour (so vigourously in fact its going to take them a whole quarter to put anything on paper, or is that just how long it takes to work out how Word 2000 works). You wouldn't happen to know which stations they've been to or whose opinions they've sought.

Sorry to come across all cynical but ever since the good old Bett thingy (how much?) I'm a bit distrustful of these study group wallahs. I mean, is there anyone out there who genuinely believes they actually listen to whats being said to them and then report it up without any spin whatsoever, or is that just me again?

BEagle
27th Aug 2001, 10:45
Well, they certainly came to Brize and were given some direct opinion! The pensions people also came and got the same. There has been a website available for people to post opinions directly for some while..... I sympathise with you entirely; if all we end up with is "I hear what you say, but there's no more money and any changes will have to be 'cost-neutral'", then we may as well all pack our bags and ring the airlines......

SARBoy Loser
27th Aug 2001, 19:06
Face facts, these teams in their various guises have been doing the rounds since I joined eleven years ago. In fact as a young fresh faced officer still shiny out of cranwell, a team came and 'did' Marham telling us how rank was not going to be linked with pay anymore, uhmm, still waiting for that one! (especially if it means I can go back to being a fg off on the same money!). no doubt following the initial report, which will be badly recived by our masters, the re-write and finally the re-re-write the views expressed by those on the 'front-line' will have become nothing but a faint echo compared to the political message and kowtowing to the treasury.

And who says I'm cynical! :rolleyes:

Whipping Boy's SATCO
27th Aug 2001, 19:29
:( SARBoy Loser, I can beat you on that one. Some chap called Robson who promised that his review was going to be THE different one (1987ish). Got filed, he left.

:D BEagle, when has Brize NOT got an opinion?

[ 27 August 2001: Message edited by: Whipping Boy's SATCO ]