PDA

View Full Version : OASC Any Tips?

TangoMan
30th Jul 2001, 16:12
Hi I am soon going to OASC and I wondered if anyone had any experience or tips that they could give me. Thanks.

TangoMan :)

whohascontrol
30th Jul 2001, 18:26
Tangoman

The interview will be in two halves. The first is all about you and should be fairly straight forward. The second tests your motivation to join, your knowledge of the RAF, current affairs and also your ability to reason.

So make sure you have made up your mind why you want to join up and what you want to do. Have reasons for what branches you've applied for. Read the branch specific literature so you know the training path and likely postings.

Read the papers and have a number of topics (five or six at least for both home and overseas) about which you can talk. Don't be surprised if the interviewer takes an opposite position on any topic - hey're testing your ability to think on the hoof.

If you haven't done a station visit yet - try and organise one asap.

Good luck

BEagle
30th Jul 2001, 21:54
Ban yourself from ANY booze from the moment you arrive until the moment you get home again!

Dr Schlong
31st Jul 2001, 00:16
Don't get too stressed out by the whole experience, relax and try to be yourself.
Don't think that you have to act as everyone else is - they won't all get through. Do your homework (both current affairs and RAF), be keen and you'll have no problems! The aptitude tests are pretty taxing so polish up on your mental maths (speed, time and distance calcs will also help) and make sure you read the instructions properly.
Above all try and enjoy it - show them what you've got and don't be the grey man!

;)

The Scarlet Pimpernel
31st Jul 2001, 01:36
As Dr S says .... be yourself. Don't listen to the braggards either - none of them got through selection on my board (many moons ago). Listen to what's being asked of you in group exercises and look before you leap. Try not to dismiss other people's suggestions out of hand - at least pretend to consider them before canning them! :D

As far as aptitude tests go, brush up on mental arithmetic, but don't try to improve your co-ordination by playing computer games .... you'd be better off playing a sport for hand/eye co-ordination.

Be positive in the interview and be prepared for Q's like "Why do you want to join?", "If you are unsuccessful in being selected for your preferred role, would you consider....?" "Why are we in Sierra Leone?" "How many GR4 Squadrons do we have, and where are they based/deployed?" "Why were there riots recently in Genoa?"
As for interview technique, I'm no expert, but try not to fidget, sit up straight and maintain good eye contact throughout.

Hope this helps.....and good luck!! :cool:

BEagle
31st Jul 2001, 01:39
If you do find out why the hell we're in Sierra Leone, please could you tell the rest of us?

Scorpius
31st Jul 2001, 02:29
I found the "Know your IQ " type books from W.H. Smiths to be quite handy. Also Nintendos and such like are resonable for hand eye coordinaton - if going for pilot! Above all don't make it up if you don't the answer to something - just tell them you don't know. Lastly don't lie - however you are allowed to say that the Tonado F3 is a great bit af kit!

The Scarlet Pimpernel
31st Jul 2001, 02:59
Although it would be inadvisable to say that any F series fighter after maybe the F4 could wipe the floor with the F3!! :D

And, no BEags....I haven't got a scooby why we're in SL either!!!!

jet jones
31st Jul 2001, 20:20
So when are you due at oasc? I am due in Sept.

TangoMan
1st Aug 2001, 14:20
Cheers Guys loadsa good tips. I am off to OASC 21 - 24 Aug. Anymore info would be great.

Thanks TangoMan.

Whoosh
2nd Aug 2001, 01:39
Tango Man

For God's sake be fit - you have to do the bleep test at the end of day 2. If you get an above average fitness result it can be worth an extra "click" on your final score. Yes, and you've guessed it, the opposite is true too.

Best of luck

:) Gear down and welded :)

TangoMan
2nd Aug 2001, 16:00
My other E-mail is: [email protected] but they dont like Hotmail here.

TangoMan

Dr Schlong
3rd Aug 2001, 02:50
Change your name to Douglas Bader - that'll impress the interview board! :p

Kray
3rd Aug 2001, 02:58
I passed OASC as pilot, starting in a weeks time on 193 IOT, Aug 12th. Email me if you are still after more info.

Dr Schlong
3rd Aug 2001, 03:07
193...! Blimey those were the days. I'm now down the road with IOT just a memory and its great - ignore all the cr@p at IOT, just a few more hoops to jump through! The rest of the airforce bears no comparison to Cranwell. :D

TimC
4th Aug 2001, 21:22
Thanks Douglas :D .

Woz
6th Aug 2001, 04:22
Good luck to everyone starting 193 next week!

Should have been there with you, but have an extended medical faff delaying me first to October, and now probably to December.....!

Hope you all enjoy it; at least you're catching some of the summer!

Flipper.
10th Aug 2001, 01:40
How is the old shoulder Wozza? I'm not sure I can cope with you bimbiling about the squadron derriding us for being student scum and generaly sh*t pilots for too long.

see you in a week or so.

[ 09 August 2001: Message edited by: Flipper. ]

Incipient Sinner
10th Aug 2001, 01:59
For OASC, take in all the information you can but above all, be yourself. These guys will see through you if you aren't (anyone who says they got away with it is probably lying).

And, ENJOY YOURSELF, don't just be seen to enjoy yourself!

Woz
10th Aug 2001, 15:28
Hola Flipper,

Thanks for the concern; it's broken apparently, and according to every doc I see, it's the previous doc's fault for not making me do more and more bizarre physiotherapy.

Looks like a nice 16 week break for me; hopefully no longer!

And you know how much I love you all for being student scum, and will be spending my holding time making sure that you all become excellent pilots by benefitting from my (slightly out of date) expertise.

We'll start by referring to the "auxilliary fuel pump" as the "booster pump." Okay?

Woz

Jump Johnny Jump !
14th Aug 2001, 14:30
Tangoman, sound advice here
Be yourself, stay switched on, get your mental arithmetic sorted, remember it comes in 2 distinct parts. Don't be downhearted when people start leaving after pt1 who u thought were ok, stay positive - stick to your guns if you know you're in the right during your individual planning then they want to see that strength of character come through, but balance it up without being arrogant. :cool:
It is actually enjoyable !
Good luck - let us know how it went.
p.s check http://www.timc.clara.net/raf.htm

jet jones
16th Aug 2001, 14:26
Hey Tango man,

Good luck, and do let us know how it goes..I shall be watching this space..as i said i am not due till sept..On another note guys, any advice for ground crew? I am too old for pilot B""££gger and I do not like water or cramped ship space hence why i am not jumping on the navy..I am going in as a Flt ops officer..so what should i expect??

Jump Johnny Jump !
17th Aug 2001, 17:18
jet jones, if you want pilot and are too old for the RAF - then you obviously don't want it that bad if you're giving up and going ground crew (- no offence to ground branches).
The FAA accept up to age 26, if you've got the "right stuff" and you want to be a mil pilot - get yourself on the AIB.
If u go ground branch and have always wanted to fly - then think long and hard where you'll be in 10 years time? They will look at your motivation in GREAT DEPTH.
- good luck for sept.

jet jones
22nd Aug 2001, 14:55
Thanks jjj for the reply..I have thought hard about it...I like the Mil way of life and I guess I will be close enough to AC...I will still continue to fly..while I am in...the Raf needs pilots so what is to stop me transfering with the right quals?? There was a guy on this forum about a week ago who is 27 and with an ATPL who is trying to get in. What is the AIB anyway??

Jump Johnny Jump !
22nd Aug 2001, 19:22
The AIB is the Admiralty Interview Board, held in Gosport, Hants. 3-4 days of testing akin to the OASC. I've sat and passed both but failed the final selection for the RAF i've now got Navy Pilot starting Sept. So if u want some indepth info on both you can private email me. I would advise you NOT to go ground branch and then transfer to aircrew later. They invest £££ in your future as a ATC, Flt ops etc... It's a risk mate.....look about! Even Civvy if u have the capital.

CAVU
22nd Aug 2001, 23:22
Jet Jones

I think you may be refering to myself. (27 with ATPL-I'm actually 26) Like Jump Johnny Jump, I was put forward for pilot (although for the RN), but failed the final selection. My liason officer said that although my AIB scores were good, they were not good enough to make the cut. He advised me to either reattend the AIB or join directly as a Warfare Ofiicer (Ships Officer)and sub-specialize as pilot later. As I wanted a longer career in the RN, I decided to take the latter option.

I joined BRNC last year and, to my absolute amazement, was offered a Pilot slot on my second day after my DO had read my file (its all flying and more flying). However, five weeks later, the same DO said that he had been in error and I would not be permitted to train as a pilot, as they had just changed the upper age limit for pilot training from under 26 on entry into Dartmouth, to under 26 on commencment of JEFTS- I was two months beyond this age criteria.

After a further four weeks, I VOLWFS.

The Flight Officer at Dartmouth told me that "older guys" did not train very well (I must assume then that their aptitude tests are not valdating!) and dismissed any opportunity for flying in the future. Nevertheless, there was a considerable ammount of ambiguity about this when I submitted my request for withdrawal, as two senior officers asked me if I would consider staying if I was offered a pilot slot.

Making an assesment based on my experience, I think that the training back log which places many pilot condidates on "hold over" for some considerable period, raises their concerns for useful return of service when pilots finally come out of the training pipeline. The oldest pilot in my entry (apart from me!) was 24 and most were under 23.

Out of curiosity, a few weeks ago, I asked what experiences military IPs had with training "older guys". I only got one response, but Cooperman was kind enough to say (in summary), that he could not see that age really made a difference, especially if you were pre-qualified (I was already a COM/IR FI) when I joined. I just asked as I may have an opportunity to join the US National Guard as they consider candidates for pilot training up to 32, if you are already a proffesional pilot- I guess F-16s are easier learns to fly!

Anyway, my advice is to give it a shot if you want, don't take anything less than Pilot and get everything in writing. However, Definitely DO NOT JOIN IF YOU DO NOT LIKE CRAMPED SHIPS OR THE OGGIN! You will spend most of your time as an officer, in a cramped ship, on the sea and only about 200 hours a year in the blue yonder (a quarter of what I fly as a civvie).

Good Luck

[ 22 August 2001: Message edited by: CAVU ]

Jump Johnny Jump !
23rd Aug 2001, 17:24
CAVU, just on that last note, any tips for me at BRNC in Sept - they would be much appriciated mate....anything i can prepare for etc??

BGinner
24th Aug 2001, 17:44
Hi JJJ, I'm in the Sep BRNC entry too, as firstly Warfare but also as a reserve Observer. I'm an ex serving RAF officer (and chopped pilot!) so if there's anything about the broad stroke of initial officer training you want to know please email at [email protected]

Obviously I can't advise on the specifically naval aspects of training bu the other stuff may well be fairly similar.

Rgds
BGinner (artist formerly known as Bad Livin') :D

Jump Johnny Jump !
24th Aug 2001, 17:58
BGinner (bad livin!) good to hear mate, i'll be in touch but i'm away for the w/end for some light refreshments.
cheers mate - looking forward to BRNC (screams heard in background!!)

:D

jet jones
28th Aug 2001, 01:27
Hey Tango man, where are you?? How did it go my man? I hope it went well...Some info to divulge? I have sixteen days to go?

TangoMan
28th Aug 2001, 16:24
Hey Guys Thanks for all the info and tips but I didnt make it past the interview. But there is always next year. For anyone else who is going through dont be to nervous through the interview be relaxed.

TangoMan

Jump Johnny Jump !
29th Aug 2001, 12:29
Tangoman, well at least you'll have a foot up on the rest next year - you will know what to expect, hard luck though mate.
Keep us informed.
:)

CAVU
29th Aug 2001, 23:32
JJJ

A Medley of advice for BRNC:

Have the cleats put on your shoes ASAP
and start bulling your shoes as soon as you get them back.

Use the back of your note book to write down daily orders in the morning and memorize them in your spare time (spare time!?).

Get a cap from Gieves- they're much more comfortable than the Navy issue.

Get a good quality iron and a spray bottle( SB should be available in the BRNC store)!!

When ironing your clothes use a handkerchief so the iron doesn't blow crap all over your shirt at the last moment (The iron does know when you've almost finished).

Soak your beret and start moulding it to your head on the first night, so you lose the Frank Spencer look as soon as possible.

Buy "Rule of the Road" from a sailing store, a book second only in loathsomeness to Mein Kampf, and memorize the whole thing verbatim.

When you come to the speech module, choose topics to lecture on that you know thoroughly! and do not choose "The importance of fixed wing naval aviation", because there's nothing in the library on it(no wonder the RAF have been able to bash the FAA with near impunity!)

Start washing your kit as often as possible to remove the fire retardant rubbish that covers it. Until its gone, it feels like someone starched it with a firehose!

Just keep one days kit in you're lockers and standardise the arrangement of kit between everone in the cabin.

Also, make sure all the beds are made the same i.e. with the same foldback etc.

During rounds, keep cleaning right up to you here "Cabin Ho"s, for some reason the dust can reacumulate within five minutes of being wiped.

Don't moan (too much) Don't pretend you know it all (because you can't) and help other guys that are struggling, even if they are not trying, as their mistakes will be everyone else's problem.

Make sure you know what is, where is, and when is EVERY EVOLUTION and make sure everyone else in your division knows!

Do not, I repeat do not, shout at, or say anything that could be mis-construed as slanderous to any other cadets, but especially arabs (no matter how much they mince, or how much you are getting a beastying for them mincing!)

Senior officers are always right about everything even if they are patently wrong.

Don't ask questions during lectures.

but the best advice of all. . . be the grey man and shine only in your perfomance.

JJJ, there's to much to much to list, but anyway best of luck shipmate, enjoy it (it's only rough for two months) and look forward to launching of a pitching and rolling deck!

bad livin'
30th Aug 2001, 04:02
CAVU, thanks for the words there, I'm a baby Observer on JJJ's course. Can I email you about a few things RE my former life as a crab growbag wearer?

Rgds
BL

Jump Johnny Jump !
30th Aug 2001, 12:25
CAVU, what can i say mate - thanks for the advice, i'm looking forward to it but yep - 2 months in the S**te, :eek: oh well!! Thanks again, mate!
Give you a shout when it's all over - good luck over there, save some of those 'californian gals' for when we visit!
:cool:

BL - i'll also be in touch soon.

Cheers, :D

CAVU
30th Aug 2001, 23:14
Bad livin

Thats Affirm, beleive there's a link through the member profile or you can try [email protected]

[ 30 August 2001: Message edited by: CAVU ]