PDA

View Full Version : Will the ADF purchase the A400M to replace the C130H?

Going Boeing
16th Nov 2009, 06:27
http://www.asdnews.com/data_news/ID24464_600.jpg

A400M Begins Ground Tests Prior to First Flight
The purpose of these ground tests is to verify that all aircraft systems, powerplant and flight test instrumentation work properly

(November 12, 2009) -- The first Airbus Military A400M has been handed over to the Airbus "Flight Test" organisation on 12 November, paving the way to the beginning of the various ground tests which are to be performed before the aircraft takes to the air before year end. The purpose of these ground tests is to verify that all aircraft systems, powerplant and flight test instrumentation work properly, in order to ensure a safe First Flight, and subsequently an efficient flight test campaign.

The ground tests include static tests and engine run-ups during which the interaction between all systems, the powerplant and the aircraft is controlled and validated. The correct operation of the telemetry system which will be subsequently used to follow the flights during the development campaign will also be checked during these ground test campaign. Following satisfactory completion of the static tests, the first taxi runs can start. These begin with low speed taxis (up to 60 kts) and brakings, and are to be followed by high speed trials with a rejected take-off at about 120 kts. During these trials, the behaviour of all systems, and the turboprop engines, as well as the reaction of the aircraft to braking and lateral control, is thoroughly checked.

After each trial a thorough analysis of the findings as well as the status of the aircraft will determine when the next trial will take place, leading to a first Take-Off before year end.

Source : European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company EADS N.V. (Paris: EAD.PA)

Taildragger67
16th Nov 2009, 07:52
Does the 'H' need replacing just yet?

My concern would be Ronnie over-extending himself integrating new types in the next 10 years:
- A330
- Super Hornet
- F35
- Wedgetail
- P8

plus moving the Bou's work around other platforms (including the 'H') unless a replacement is found in short order (which would be yet another new type coming in).

Replacing the 'H' would not of itself be a problem, but maybe there's a limit to how many big projects should be run simultaneously?

Bullethead
16th Nov 2009, 08:54
In that pic it appears as if props 1 & 3 rotate one way while props 2 & 4 rotate the other way. Is this correct or have I had too much sparkling brown?

Regards,
BH.

TWT
16th Nov 2009, 09:25
Well spotted.Airbus explanation

HERE (http://www.a400m-countdown.com/index.php?v=2&spage=7)

Trojan1981
16th Nov 2009, 09:33
My money would be on more Js. Much easier to integrate. Not for some time though...

Bullethead
16th Nov 2009, 10:05
Thanks TWT,

Looks like it's well worth doing. I'm guessing the counter rotation of the props is achieved through using different gearboxes to drive the props rather than having two completely different power plants.

Regards,
BH.

S70IP
16th Nov 2009, 10:26
Surely not. The government could never by French again after the MRH90 and Tiger they couldn't be bitten again?

Just remember the ADF has very little control over what platform it gets, it's all up to the government of the day.

Carrier
16th Nov 2009, 22:07
Less than two weeks ago South Africa saw the the light and cancelled its order for eight. Surely the ADF is not dumb enough to jump in where the South Africans have bailed out? Perhaps the ADF is being induced to take over the cancelled eight? I hope not. Oz fighting forces deserve better than to be lumbered with someone else's rejects.

http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/394773-a400m-cancelled.html

Buster Hyman
17th Nov 2009, 01:17
Are they real engines, or just props? :}

Okay, okay...I'll go quietly...:(

Tiger35
17th Nov 2009, 02:10
S70IP: The government could never by French again after the MRH90 and Tiger they couldn't be bitten again?

You left the Mirage out of that sentence.

The RAAF were learning about Mirage perculiarities (that the French had not passed on) throughout its RAAF service, even in the last years of Mirage ops in Australia.

Nice jet though.

GAFA
17th Nov 2009, 02:32
What about the A330 MRTT, it's French so I guess the government really hasn't learnt.

Fragnasty
17th Nov 2009, 03:16
Will the ADF purchase the A400M to replace the C130H?

No.

Choice bro'!

Wiley
17th Nov 2009, 04:22
Surely the ADF is not dumb enough to jump in where the South Africans have bailed out?You forget the largest and most secret department in Canberra, one that's been operating at 110% capacity for decades now... the Department of Let's Go Overseas And Buy a Failed Scheme."

We've been doing this for years now, and not just in Defence. There seems to be this overriding belief in Canberra that, having seen a system fail when tried overeas, we can get it right.

Pass-A-Frozzo
18th Nov 2009, 05:12
No.

The current government has decided to replace 12 x C-130H's with 2 x C-130J's.

The Caribou will be replaced with 10 x LTFW aircraft (type not decided yet - C-27J?)

Was in the White Paper I believe. Here is an old press release from some car auto-electrician :E when the initial decision was made:

Airlift Capability downgrade.. sorry, "New capability" (http://www.defence.gov.au/WHITEPAPER/mr/43_NewAirliftCapabilitiesAirForceFixed.pdf)

Trash Hauler
18th Nov 2009, 08:10
While there are 12 H models on the books I understand that there are only 4 remaining in service with 8 quietly retired.

Why go for the A400 when they have a heavy airlifter in the C17. More J models the way to go.

TH

Pass-A-Frozzo
18th Nov 2009, 08:50
They have been progressively drawing the fleet down but not to the extent you suggest (according to my now aged knowledge)

FoxtrotAlpha18
18th Nov 2009, 21:10
While there are 12 H models on the books I understand that there are only 4 remaining in service with 8 quietly retired.

Other way round me thinks...8 good ones and 4 parked. :ok:

Going Boeing
18th Nov 2009, 23:46
C-17 Heavy Airlifter Simulator Delivered

(November 18, 2009) -- Greg Combet, the Minister for Defence Personnel, Materiel and Science, and Shayne Neumann, the Federal Member for Blair, announced today that the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) will benefit from the achievement of a major training milestone for Australia's C-17 Heavy Airlift Capability.

"The C-17 Simulator commissioning marks the start of aircrew training in Australia. From January 2010, RAAF C-17 pilots will undertake their training at Amberley instead of travelling to the United States (US)," said Mr Combet.

"The attainment of the C-17 simulator is another successful outcome for the C-17 Heavy Air Lift Project and further testimony to the cooperative relationship between the Department of Defence, the United States Air Force and its contractors."

The Federal Member for Blair, Shayne Neumann, attended the ceremony accepting the simulator at RAAF Base Amberley.

"We are very proud as locals that the C-17 simulator will provide training outcomes which greatly enhance the support to Australian Defence Force operations and humanitarian relief efforts being provided by the RAAF C-17 fleet," said Mr Neumann.

"The Simulator is a replica of the C-17 cockpit and provides realistic training conditions for all C-17 missions. Operational conditions can be generated at a wide variety of airfields in Australia and overseas," said Mr Combet.

The Boeing Company built the Simulator in the US and installed it in the purpose-built facility at RAAF Base Amberley in Queensland, constructed by John Holland Group. The Simulator itself was transported to Amberley using two C-17 aircraft.

The Simulator is the centerpiece of the C-17 Training System. The complete system includes a Maintenance Trainer to be delivered in 2010 and a Cargo Compartment Trainer to be delivered in 2013. Australia is the only foreign C-17 operator to own a Simulator. The other 20 Simulators are owned and operated by the United States Air Force.

Source : MoD Australia

Buster Hyman
19th Nov 2009, 00:24
Wa-hey! Now we can simulate an airlift capability! :}:ouch::suspect:

Aussie
19th Nov 2009, 08:16
Wonder if other forces will use the RAAF sim for recurrents in the future, i.e Qatar or UK!

Trash 'n' Navs
19th Nov 2009, 20:41
Apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere, but with the DBE setup on the A400M, which is the critical engine(s)? Or will the practice assymetric approaches suddenly take a new dimension? Rather than getting a really muscled left leg, you'll get not-quite-so muscled left & right legs?!
:)

aseanaero
22nd Nov 2009, 02:16
I think stick to a proven aircraft ... the C130

I can imagine the scenario if they did buy the A400M , total avionics redesign or something silly like trying to re-engine it ! 20 yrs after buying it the aircraft will finally work then be retired.

Going Boeing
26th Dec 2009, 00:01
http://www.asdnews.com/data_news/ID25254_600.jpg
'The fact that we achieved so much on the second flight is a great testament to the quality of the aircraft and very promising for the future of the programme'

(December 23, 2009) -- Airbus Military has completed a highly successful second flight of the new A400M airlifter in an operation which exceeded the expectations of the flight-test team.

The three-hour and ten minute flight of the first aircraft, known as MSN1, from Seville, Spain was conducted yesterday by experimental test pilot Nacho Lombo supported by chief test pilot military Ed Strongman, along with a team of four flight test engineers, Didier Ronceray, Eric Isorce, Jean-Philippe Cottet and Gerard Leskerpit.

During this second flight, the A400M was already able to clear the entire normal flight envelope, including the maximum operating speed (VMO) of 300kt (555km/hr) and maximum Mach number (MMO) of M0.72. During this flight, which extended to northern Spain, the aircraft operated at an altitude of 30,000ft which allowed the testing the aircraft's systems in cruise conditions.

Airbus head of flight operations, Fernando Alonso, said: "The fact that we achieved so much on the second flight is a great testament to the quality of the aircraft and very promising for the future of the programme. In earlier aircraft programmes it has taken several flights to achieve the same targets that we have already now done on the A400M." The second flight had been delayed by a couple of days because of poor weather in Seville. The next flight is planned after the Christmas break.

This first aircraft is expected to fly for some 1,200 hours during the 3,700hr test programme involving five aircraft which will lead to first delivery of the type in late 2012.

Source : European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company EADS N.V. (Paris: EAD.PA)

TBM-Legend
26th Dec 2009, 00:57
let's buy a one off stretched model....:E

then we can have yet another DMO/defence waste of a few billion $$$$...:ooh:

DeeJayEss
26th Dec 2009, 11:11
So many cynics...

Looks like I found my new home. :E

keesje
28th Dec 2009, 22:16
Airbus say they scheduled a demo tour down under. The C-17 is great, not sure it will do as Herc/Caribou replacement.