PDA

View Full Version : SR Technics apprentership scheme

manu4life1
15th Nov 2009, 18:16
Hi Everyone,

I am now in my last year at school and have been thinking seriously about career choices.
Through intensive research i have come to a conclusion that an aircraft maintenance career would be a rewarding and enjoyable future.
I have been looking at apprentership schemes and the best one i could find for my location would be SR Technics.
I was just looking for advice and if anyone knows how the apprentership is run or has worked for SR Technics.
All comments appreciated.:ok:

The Deec
15th Nov 2009, 19:06
RTÉ Business: Dublin's SR Technics to axe 1,135 jobs (http://redirectingat.com/?id=42X487496&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rte.ie%2Fbusiness%2F2009%2F0212%2Fsrtec hnics.html)

The Deec
15th Nov 2009, 19:19
Hate to put a spanner in the works but I think there might be better career opportunities with the major UK carriers in terms of securing an apprentiship.

There were alot of guys in the middle of apprentiships when SR TECHNICS IRL decided to pull the plug at their Dublin operation, leaving alot of unhappy people behind to pick up the pieces.

My advice is, do your research carefully.
Best of luck....

manu4life1
15th Nov 2009, 19:25
can you suggest any other secure apprentership schemes which give you b1 and b2?

The Deec
15th Nov 2009, 19:38
Hi Man U ,

I think Monarch, BMI ,BA , Virgin and the likes ,but don't quote me on that. Maybe some other spanner heads looking in might have some more accurate information. :cool:

manu4life1
15th Nov 2009, 19:43
do you think an apprentership is the best way to get into the industry?
Also what are the salery prospects for an aircraft mechanic compared to a licenced guy?

manu4life1
15th Nov 2009, 20:00
what do you think the best way would be to get into the aviation business?
Also what are the salery prospects for an aircraft mechanic comapred to a licenced guy?

Alber Ratman
15th Nov 2009, 22:20
I know KLM UK at Norwich and ATC Lasham Southend have apprenticeship schemes, however these do not end up with the graduates obtaining B1 or B2 level examination certs (HNC and "A" exams seem to be the norm, not particulary useful to these companies bar line station work for the latter, but what do I know!). They will however get you the basic engineering skills and logbook tasks to pursue the B tickets as a mechanic (and you would be employable, especially when things start picking up as they will do in time).:ok:

Dodo56
16th Nov 2009, 11:40
If you can find a company to take you on you should jump at the chance, as the academic qualifications for the job are within the reach of anyone who can afford to pay for the courses, however getting a foot in the door to gain hands-on experience is considerably harder at the moment.

You could start by learning how to spell "apprenticeship" ;)

Cytherea
16th Nov 2009, 12:37
Some very useful info here - I would avoid SR Technics UK as I cannot see them having a medium/long term future with workshops and a base in the UK. I'm not sure that they even operate any form of apprenticeship scheme anymore. ATC Lasham at SEN is definitely a more viable option and still in your area - other than that I'm afraid it means moving away...

manu4life1
16th Nov 2009, 15:37
how can you go from mechanic to licenced??

Alber Ratman
16th Nov 2009, 20:27
Read this document and it will put some meat on the bones..

The Engineers Licensing Guidance Document. (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/177/8355%20Section%20A_07.pdf)

Confused? Don't be. Ask any questions about what you have digested from the ELGD and people here will give you an accurate or honest answer.:ok:

manu4life1
16th Nov 2009, 20:47
Thankyou very much for all of your advise, it's appreciated:ok:

celtic mech
16th Nov 2009, 23:08
manu4life1 "can you suggest any other secure apprentership schemes which give you b1 and b2?"

Just to set something straight in your mind...NO apprenticeship scheme "gives" you a B1 and B2. The Apprenticeship scheme, at the end of the day, gives you a National Craft Cert...i.e. the basic requirement to be called a Craft Worker. At that stage, you are just a mechanic etc.
Its up to yourself to then go and do the applicable EASA exams for the B1 or B2 licence (or both if you wish). Bug difference between a Craft Cert and an EASA B1 or B2 licence.

On another note...you might try Shannon Aerospace Ltd (http://www.shannonaerospace.com) as they do a shorter training than SRT did offer...its a traineeship. Also, keep an eye on Ryanair website. In all fairness they treat their Engineers well enough. You are basically sent to College alongside the SRT guys and whoever else. Its only the On the Job training where you will be back to your company