PDA

View Full Version : US requirements?

1DC
14th Nov 2009, 17:59
Mrs 1DC was talking to a mate this morning who is going to California for her family hols next year.Mate has been told that due to new regulations she will not be able to pick up a car at the airport and will only be able to take delivery after being in the USA for 24 hours thus requiring an overnight in a hotel at the airport. Sounds like rubbish to me but then again Homeland Security may be involved! Anyone heard of this??

Donkey497
15th Nov 2009, 10:52
News to me & I'd guess news to our secretary / travel coordinator & if true will be a bit of a bugger for one of my colleagues who is headed stateside in a little under 24 hours.:eek:

Will let y'all know if Shug find himself stranded at Houston-Bush. so watch this space.......:ok:

nicolai
15th Nov 2009, 11:58
While I never entirely discount the ability of the Americans to make life more difficult for travellers, I can't find any trace of this in terms and conditions for some hire companies I've looked at, including the one I use most often. So I think it's not true.
One can always contact the hire company, stating the arrival time of one's flight, and enquiring whether one can collect the vehicle at that time and when is the latest time one can collect it.
Most large airport car rental agencies in the USA are open 24hrs a day but some might not be; if one was arriving very late, a smaller or off-airport rental company might not be open. I always try to go for an on-airport larger company for that reason.

Jarvy
15th Nov 2009, 13:18
I have heard of this but only with regard to RV's. It was with a rental company that didn't allow you to pick up an RV direct off a trans atlantic flight. Something to do with tired people driving a big RV around, so they would pick you up next morning from a hotel.
Nothing to do with homeland security, unless they are talking about giving an address in the USA. You used to be able(many years ago) to just write fly/ drive on your I-94,now you must give an address for the first night even if its just a hotel.

HandyAndy
15th Nov 2009, 15:58
Arrived in SFO last Tuesday and my rental car was waiting for me at the airport. No problems, no fuss. Additionally it was an absolute breeze coming through Immigration, no queues and a chatty HS Officer.

1DC
15th Nov 2009, 20:00
Sorry folks, need to get my facts right, apparantly it is an RV that they are picking up.Thanks for the responses anyway..

racedo
16th Nov 2009, 09:23
RV one likely comes under the immigration one anyway and they are using the wait until next day to cover themselves and their renters.

As you required to list your address for the first night then putting in that you renting an RV would mean you are not meeting this requirement as no guarantee of where you are.

I do agree with them that after flying T/A getting an RV and out on the freeway is not the best idea.