PDA

View Full Version : Porter Airlines pilot passes out during the flight - the copilot turns back and lands

st7860
14th Nov 2009, 17:32
Flight forced to return to Halifax as pilot passes out (http://www.theprovince.com/Flight+forced+return+Halifax+pilot+passes/2224159/story.html)

A Porter Airlines flight that left Halifax on Saturday morning was forced to turn around and come back to the airport because its pilot briefly lost consciousness.

Halifax International Airport Authority spokeswoman Ashley Barnes said officials were informed of the incident about 45 minutes after the 10:30 a.m. flight departed Halifax en route to St. John's, N.L.

"We received a call at 11:16 this morning that the pilot aboard Porter Flight 243 . . . needed medical attention," said Barnes, adding that a co-pilot safely landed the aircraft around 11:44 a.m. "He did, at some point, lose consciousness."

Barnes said the pilot was able to walk off the plane toward a waiting ambulance. He was taken to a Halifax hospital for assessment. Authorities did not know what had caused the man's medical distress.

The aircraft had a 70-passenger capacity.

The flight left Halifax again after an hour-and-a-half delay, Barnes said.

"The passengers never left the aircraft."

Scott Diamond
14th Nov 2009, 17:37
Again... "the pilot" and then "a co-pilot"

I really wish the media would learn each roles to stop the dillusion of the general public...

cessnapuppy
14th Nov 2009, 17:56
The ailing pilot was able to walk off the plane toward a waiting ambulance, and was taken to a Halifax hospital for assessment. Authorities did not know what caused the man's medical distress.

Why the hell was he allowed to walk off the plane under his own power??

He should have been met by a stretcher, or at the very least, a wheel chair. Thats essential when you have unexplained loss of consciousness events. Men can have too much personal bravado at times. It would only have taken another blink and a fall on the head and that would be the end of him.

tsk tsk.

@scott: Dont hold your breath waiting for the press to say Captain/First Officer. They have been ruined by "The Love Boat"! "Captains" run ships and that is that!

clunckdriver
14th Nov 2009, 20:26
Its comforting to know that Porter,{on which I dead head} unlike many feeders in the US has a policy of hiring very experienced First Officers/Copilots, only one feeder in Canada has hired low timers {out of a certain government run school, certainly the worst pilots I ever had the misfortune to hire} After what has transpired of late South of our border and incidents like this the industry should look upon these incidents as a hiring policy wake up call. I dont want to be in the back on a dirty night in our climate with some MCL 150 hour kid in the right seat with the left seater out for the count . {now all those runing these "puppy farms" that train these kids go right ahead and rant!}

Willie Everlearn
14th Nov 2009, 21:52
clunkdriver

How sad your comments. Sad but true.

If I may add the following, since experience is mentioned? (caution: personal opinion)

There's an air carrier in Halifax who apparently can't find enough qualified and experienced pilots in Canada so they've gone and contracted seasonal foreign pilots. My read is that they're too cheap to type rate any qualified Canadian pilots to fill their requirement. Totally in keeping with their Low Cost Carrier creed.
The Federal Labour Ministry in their infinite wisdom, not knowing the first thing about aviation, goes right along with it and this carrier's own pilot group hasn't got the interest, motivation, or spine to do anything about it. :ugh:

I've been around the Canadian Aviation scene long enough to understand why these chief pilots aren't finding the crews they need. The same old chief pilots keep landing the same old chief pilot jobs with these new (re-invented) carriers which means many of the available experienced pilots out there aren't likely to have a chance in hell of getting hired by most of these newer carriers due to certain 'attitudes', misconceptions, or plain old fashioned discrimination which is a great way to weed out the qualified (I like this one) and not qualified (I don't like this one) applicants. I even flew for a charter airline that published the names of pilot applilcants in the pilot notice book for any company pilot to vet. What a great idea? I see the name of someone I don't like, or that I'm jealous of, and I'll vet them. Boy, will I vet them.

A friend of mine, very personable, well qualified and experienced, with recent B727 command, lots of hours, was turned down by our friends in YHZ. Who knows their reasons? But one thing is unrefutable. He was more than qualified and experienced!

Could it be some of the applicants qualifications and experience are a threat to some of these CPs and VPs? :eek:

From my tatered and dusty old couch, I really couldn't give a s*it either way! Most of the air carriers in Canada can't remember what a profit was and keep choping salaries to make a go of it. ('cept WJ) I haven't seen anyone paying much more than what was paid back in the 80s but everything else in life has gone up over the last 30 years. Waaaaaay up! :confused:

The interesting part in all of this lies in the future. When the pilot shortage really takes it toll and aircraft accidents/incidents start to increase. Then the experience conversation will take on a whole new meaning. Experience won't even be a requirement!!! Comm/Multi/IFR? Come on dowwwwn! :eek:

Maybe a lack of experience in the RHS will see more pilots (Captains) take ill during a flight.

Anyway, I hope Captain Porter is feeling better and it's nothing more than an inflight meal he probably didn't have.
Willie :ok:

clunckdriver
15th Nov 2009, 11:14
Willie, the outfit you refer to reflects all that is wrong with the industry, but I find I am unable to share you positive view of WJ, however I feel things are about to change as the public seems finally to work it out that brand new/high tech aircraft should not stall into a smoking hole on what should have been a routine landing, one only has to look at Porters load factors to see that a segment of the public will pay for quality. You are right about the chief pilot/hacks who go from one failed outfit to the next, you see they understand the first two rules of buisines which are {1} If you own the outfit, hire the very best and pay top money to get them.{2} If you dont own it, never hire any one smarter than yourself, they might take your job! My wife and I used rule number one for twenty one years, sold to employees and customers, sorry about the thread drift!

Two's in
15th Nov 2009, 12:22
So what are we saying here? That the headline should really say:

"Co-Pilot miraculously found to be qualified to land Plane while only in possession of an ATPL".

Chuck Ellsworth
15th Nov 2009, 12:39
What exactly is wrong with describing the second pilot as " Co-Pilot "?

clunckdriver
15th Nov 2009, 13:59
I duno Chuck, maybe , in view of the fact that pilots uniforms were based on of Merchant Navy ranks the world should revert to Captain/First Mate/Officer of the watch, and Chief Engineer for those still with three crew. Dont know if you have gone South of late but Homeland Security only allow one pilot on the Eapis submission, all others are just crew or pax, no co pilot or F/Os allowed!

ab33t
15th Nov 2009, 14:33
thank goodness it was not the cabin staff that had to land the plane

Chuck Ellsworth
15th Nov 2009, 14:41
Clunkdriver, what I find weird is when I was first learning to fly in multi crew airplanes we were called co-pilots and we never felt the description to be demeaning.

Maybe it was because we were flying those old technology airplanes like DC3's and DC6's in the arctic doing approaches guided by ADF's after getting in range of the beacons using astro compasses to find the beacons?

Yeh, that has to be it because when we got visual there was no paved runway to land on just a row of runway markers on the snow or the ice and if it was at night we only had flare pots as runway lights.

How dumb of me not to realize we were not real pilots in those days, we were only co-pilots. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Sh.t I should know better than question todays real pilots. :E

rjay259
15th Nov 2009, 15:12
Cessnapuppy,

Why risk the backs and the possibility of dropping someone from a streacher or have to fumble about for ten min. trying to set up the wheel chair when the person is able to walk?

Would have had people either side of him to grab him if he did suddenly fall but would do etter to get him moving and the blood flowing.

less dramatic if he walks and not so good for the pap's pictures but a better idea.

Left Coaster
15th Nov 2009, 16:26
Hi Willi. Well... you nailed it brother! Canadian aviation situation for Dummies! I know about the book you mentioned and have witnessed it at work, and it was pure evil...some guy trying to find work was very well qualified and had actually been offered a job, and along came a note from a jealous former colleague...to make a long story short, there was a happy ending after threats of a lawsuit, but you get the drift. Thanks for putting it here...as for our ranking recidivist? "Potato potahto" is what is I say...but Captain and First Officer is how I was taught, there has to be a ranking Pilot in Command, and as far as I'm concerned there's no argument. Have great weekend!
LC
I hope that Capt Porter has no serious problems and will return to work soon.

kennedy
15th Nov 2009, 16:48
I suppose the captain was lucky, he could have been passing thru LHR, he would have been breathalysed before he got anywhere here the ambulance!:E:oh:

Dawdler
15th Nov 2009, 17:15
I duno Chuck, maybe , in view of the fact that pilots uniforms were based on of Merchant Navy ranks the world should revert to Captain/First Mate/Officer of the watch, and Chief Engineer for those still with three crew. Dont know if you have gone South of late but Homeland Security only allow one pilot on the Eapis submission, all others are just crew or pax, no co pilot or F/Os allowed!

Perhaps then the CSD should be called the Boatswain!:8

Co-pilot, First Officer, what does it matter? We all know who they were talking about.:ugh:

StressFree
15th Nov 2009, 18:08
Chuck,
You are the man, well said, you're spot on :D

Instinct
15th Nov 2009, 18:55
Chuck and all,

I don't think anyone is questioning the importance of experience and/or the fact that flying was more...flying...in the old days. Neither do I think that the word "copilot" is the problem. I certainly don't anyway. Copilot is just another word for First Officer!

The "problem" (and I must admit, it's not really a problem to me) might lie in the the way media sometimes describes the flight deck as containing "a pilot" (in peoples mind the guy who knows how to fly an airplane)...and some other guy that on the day might be lucky enough to be able to land the aircraft.

In the industry we all know that there are generally two pilots on the flight deck. One captain and one first officer, with all their differences in responsibility, competence and experience. The question should be, why is there a problem calling the "copilot" a pilot?

I don't know if this happened when you were a First Officer but I actually get questions like: "So, what do you do, do you actually get to land the airplane" Now, I'm mature enough to laugh at this and explain how things work (unless he or she is really stupid and I get a chance to take the piss:}) however I can see why they ask. According to media "THE pilot" was unconscious!

Insert "Captain" where applicable in this article, and I think there would've been no reaction.

Happy landings:ok:

Chuck Ellsworth
15th Nov 2009, 19:11
Please do not misunderstand me gang, I do not really care what description one uses to define which pilot is which be it first officer or co-pilot or whatever.

Where I get annoyed is when someone gets all bent out of shape because they think it is important enough to make an issue out of it.

I'm really quite simple in my thoughts on the two crew cockpit.

I want my co-pilot / first officer to be better than me so I never have to worry about what would happen if I were to become incapacitated for some reason.

So I let them do as much flying as their little hearts desired, to hell with taking turns flying each leg, if they wanted to fly all of them I was quite content to let them with the understanding that I may take control should I ever need to......funny thing is I seldom if ever had to because they learn by doing, with calm and clear guidance when it starts to go out of shape.

Basil
15th Nov 2009, 20:29
As a captain I had no difficulty with the concept that the FO, co-pilot or Bloggs, may be better than I at flying the plane. Indeed, I'd an FO (but ex RAF Herc captain) come up with a cunning (and successful) plan in our Jumbo one day. It just happens that the PiC carries the can and, for that reason we do what he or she says.

I've mentioned this experience as an FO before but I still blush to recollect the day when a lady flight deck visitor turned to me as an afterthought and said "And what doo yoo doo?"
I am ashamed to admit that I told her that I was the captain's sexual advisor.
Those in the business know the explanation.
Thankfully ol' skip didn't dob me in for being rude to a first class passenger.

RoyHudd
15th Nov 2009, 20:32
Sound philosophy, Chuck.

clunckdriver
16th Nov 2009, 11:22
The word at the captains home base {CYTZ} is that the flue which is causing so many problems in Canada got him, this makes sense as the onset of this particular bug {H1N1} can hit with almost no advance "sniffels" or other syptoms. This begs the question as to why flight crews have not been given priority for the shots, most flights from the North are at least part Medivacs and crews spend the whole work day in re circulated air.Oh of course I forgot, hockey teams have priority in todays world!{For those not following news in Canada a hockey team out West was given the shots ahead of kids and others!}

LeadSled
17th Nov 2009, 02:01
Folks,
Given Canada's long demonstrated national priorities/interests, why would anybody be the least bit surprised that hockey players were given first go at H1N1 shots.
Tootle pip!!

Latearrival
17th Nov 2009, 03:12
Don't want to get in the way of a good rant but there is another slant on this story...
The H1N1 vaccine has a 24-hour shelf life once it's prepared for vaccination and some clinics have had to throw away doses when the anticipated number of priority group members (kids under 5 and those with certain medical conditions) haven't shown up at clinics.

The doctor who made the decision to offer it to the hockey team said he did so because he found himself in the position of having vaccine that would have to be disposed of. Not having the time to hit the streets himself to round up people, he thought an easy solution would be to call the admin staff of the hockey team because they were a ready-made group to vaccinate.

rottenray
17th Nov 2009, 06:53
This begs the question as to why flight crews have not been given priority for the shotsVery good point. It would seem this is another facet of how the public and elected officials somehow expect the airline industry to perform brilliantly without giving any support.

Where are the associations on this?

Given Canada's long demonstrated national priorities/interests, why would anybody be the least bit surprised that hockey players were given first go at H1N1 shots.Ledsled, that's a bit out of character for you.

Prolly a valid point, but you usually phrase things a bit more politely.

The H1N1 vaccine has a 24-hour shelf life once it's prepared for vaccination and some clinics have had to throw away doses when the anticipated number of priority group members (kids under 5 and those with certain medical conditions) haven't shown up at clinics.LateArrival, a good point, it's been happening here in the US. The supermarket down the street from me has stopped offering H1N1 shots because people simply aren't showing up. I know the pharmacy manager.

Maybe the planning needs to improve a bit for these shots.

In any case, I certainly think that pilots (and, without stepping on toes, over the road bus drivers) should be given a priority, as having any of you ill affects our safety.

Shame how some things work out.

Dont Hang Up
17th Nov 2009, 09:54
This begs the question as to why flight crews have not been given priority for the shots

Under the current pandemic the possibility of both crew becoming seriously impaired over the duration of a flight, whilst maybe not highly likely, must be considered as reasonably foreseeable.

I cannot see the relevant authorities seriosly baulking at the modest cost of vaccination. Perhaps it simply has not occurred to them?

clunckdriver
17th Nov 2009, 10:38
Its 0630 as I type this, both my wife and oldest are on their way North for a fun day of flogging around the North in a confined metal tube , it would seem to me that the risk of flight crew incapacitation should have been a no brainer to those deciding priorities, {my own aircraft is, thank heavens, in the barn having a new interior installed, thus I have time to rant with the morning java} As to the issue of shelf life, in our area of the country, Ottawa, {AKA Fort Fumble, Disnyland on the Rideau} the whole program seems to be a total shambles in keeping with the norm in the nations capital.Nothing like a good rant to start the day!

cessnapuppy
17th Nov 2009, 14:02
Why risk the backs and the possibility of dropping someone from a streacher or have to fumble about for ten min. trying to set up the wheel chair when the person is able to walk?

Would have had people either side of him to grab him if he did suddenly fall but would do etter to get him moving and the blood flowing

For one thing, he had a loss of consciousness where the cause was not known. He was by all intents fine,before, so the fact that 'he seems fine now' cant be taken into account. If it could, then when he regained consciousness, they should have just turned around and gone on with the flight.

The lack of consciousness could have been triggered from Stroke (or near stroke), blood sugar level (diabetic?), seizure etc.

This begs the question as to why flight crews have not been given priority for the shots
Why not medical staff?
Why not policemen?
Why not virgins?

Dont forget that for all the hype, this current flu is only 1/12 as virulent as the regular strain that kills 40,000/year in the U.S. alone EVERY YEAR!

clunckdriver
17th Nov 2009, 14:31
Puppy, around here medical staff and police have been given their shots, as for virgins, I understand that they have been unable to locate any so far, unless there may have been some amoungst the hockey team.

Machaca
17th Nov 2009, 15:22
H1N1 vaccine has a 24 hour shelf life once drawn into a syringe from the vial. Some clinics were pre-loading syringes with doses in anticipation of larger than actual demand.