PDA

View Full Version : Sun Sponsors Top Gun for Navy

cheese
11th Jul 2001, 12:32
Anyone else see this feature in The Sun on Tuesday 10 Jul (sorry don't have a link). I thought it was an interesting (if a little sad) idea. It also made me think about sponsorship in the wider context and what might be appropriate eg MOD could be sponsored by (given current performance and image) Marks and Spencer and clearly 208 Sqn is sponsored by Virgin !!

Any amusing ideas out there ?

D-IFF_ident
11th Jul 2001, 20:29
http://www.thesun.co.uk/news/13848015

Not that I ever read it... :cool:

Flatus Veteranus
11th Jul 2001, 23:05
I thought the FAA were quite intelligent, despite their bizarre choice of operating base. But advertise in The Sun??? They want guys who cannot read words of more than one syllable, and cannot count to more than ten? They can't really be looking for 5 GCEs and 2 As, surely?

ChristopherRobin
12th Jul 2001, 00:02
Good on the Navy I say. Nice to see they don't have the academic snobbery of the junior service. When did having only "5 GCEs and 2 As" stop someone being a good pilot anyway?

We have Apache Pilots who have no quals at all and I bet they'd wipe the floor with a RAF-3rd-class-degree-in-media-studies-from-Oxford(er poly)any day.

Come on mate, RAF guys can't be that bright if they join the only service where the wearing of polyester trousers is compulsory, now can they?

I read the Sun. I like Striker, Dear Deidre, and Page 3.

And the Sun likes the Army. Especially in a phwoar.

And if page 3 stunna Jakki is reading this, I think you're great too.

Well done my Sun!

better livin
12th Jul 2001, 00:18
CR

Errr...top banter mate but inaccurate! The 'Junior Service' academic requirements for pilot are exactly the same as the Navy - ie 5 GCSEs and 2 A levels.

BL :cool:

Man-on-the-fence
12th Jul 2001, 01:07
Beware

This is the same newspaper (loosest sense of the word) that just a few weeks ago was slagging off the Harrier chaps for having a party and joining in the accusations about the Nimrod guys and booze cruising.

I am astonished that they have the nerve to do this quite frankly, even if it is a different branch of the Armed Forces.

Dont be fooled and dont trust them :mad:

UnderPowered
12th Jul 2001, 01:24
Totally agree with M-O-T-F. They'll be stabbing us in the back as soon as its back in fashion (AKA commercially beneficial).

rolandpull
12th Jul 2001, 01:41
I heard that the 'Reds' were being cut back to three jets with sponsership from Durex?

airbreak
12th Jul 2001, 02:47
Good to see that The Stun is using a picture of a GR7 to help recruit pilots for the RN...

CR-I'd rather be wearing polyester trousers now and again and flying loads, than doing a little bit of flying and lots of running. Who says the RAF aren't bright.

My low grade degree in media studies was great fun too.

Cy Nichol
12th Jul 2001, 03:17
The Red Arrows could trail blue smoke everywhere and get sponsored by Tampax..

Except normally the C**** are on the outside

Snapshot
12th Jul 2001, 03:41
Could have used one of my SHAR photographs at least! :D
Snappers

Flatus Veteranus
12th Jul 2001, 14:17
CR. Agree with most you say about 3rds in Media Studies etc. But take a look at The Sun's readership profile. How many 5 GCSEs and 2 As will you find? Besides, do not The Sun's jouranlists, who are top class, have to use a very restricted vocabulary (sorry, I mean short words)?

ChristopherRobin
12th Jul 2001, 15:29
OHMIGOD! I've just realised that I read the Sun and I'm overqualified!!!

Do you think they'll take me?

And what's wrong with the Journos in the Sun? Dominic Mohan's great! So they slag us off - but its usually quite funny - and it wasn't really the fact the "harrier chaps" had a party was it? More the fact they had a boozy weekend in spain using their harriers to get there if I recall. Should have remembered the golden rule: don't get caught.

I read it for a laugh. Although I have to admit it doesn't make me chuckle quite as much as the sad losers in the Daily Hellograph who feel the need to slag off President Blair even in the Technology supplement.

There is only one place you can get a balanced view of the world today:
The RAF senior officers photo gallery at http://www.viz.co.uk/rugsgallery/rugs.htm

crabbbo
12th Jul 2001, 18:52
C R

Is that a chip on both shoulders that I can see, you weren't turned down by the junior service were you?

Or do you just enjoy giving ill-informed banter out in an abusive manner?

Flatus Veteranus
12th Jul 2001, 20:55
Crabbo, methinks I smell frying too!

ChristopherRobin
13th Jul 2001, 14:28
Crabbo. Abusive? Ill-informed? when?

You're very easily upset old boy!

Try getting a sense of humour sometime - it'll help you through the day.

Gimme300
15th Jul 2001, 00:54
hahaha - Crabo and FV, cant say I saw any chips there, I thought CR was funny and realistic! Tadge oversensitive you air force chaps.....must be the polyester trousers! :)

ChristopherRobin
15th Jul 2001, 16:59
Gimme 5, Gimme300!

Must be the static - makes people irritable apparently...

Flatus Veteranus
16th Jul 2001, 22:05
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....!