View Full Version : Yet Another Delta Pilot Suspension

Airbubba
13th Nov 2009, 02:27
The Deltoids seem to be on a roll with bad pilot publicity:

Delta suspends jailed pilot

By Megan Matteucci

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

6:12 p.m. Thursday, November 12, 2009

Delta Air Lines has suspended a pilot while officials investigate charges he tried to run over two Griffin police officers with his private plane.

Dan Wayne Gryder, 48, remains in the Spalding County jail, charged with two counts of aggravated assault and obstruction. He is being held without bond and is scheduled to be arraigned on Friday, the sheriff’s office said.

Gryder, a Delta pilot and private aircraft instructor, was arrested Wednesday at the Griffin-Spalding Airport.

“He is suspended pending the completion into the investigation in this incident,” Delta spokesman Anthony Black said Thursday.

The FAA is also investigating Wednesday's incident and could revoke Gryder's pilot's license or issue additional sanctions.

"If it was a violation, it would be a civil matter not a criminal matter," FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said.

Griffin code enforcement officers were called to the airport on Wednesday for a report of a pilot disrupting the airport. Gryder was driving his car across the runway and taxiway, Griffin Police Investigator Bryan Clanton said.

The two officers approached the suspect and he gave them a fake name. After learning the pilot was Gryder, the officers attempted to issue him six citations, police said.

However, Gryder refused to sign the tickets and boarded his plane, a 1937 DC-3A. He started the engine and told one of the officers that if she moved, he would strike her, police said.

The officer, who was standing next to the prop, moved out of the way and summoned backup.

Additional Griffin officers and Spalding County deputies flooded the area and ordered him to stop, but Gryder continued to taxi down the runway, police said.

Gryder got to the end of the runway and attempted to take off, but he was out of gas.

Police arrested Gryder and transported him to jail.

Gryder’s actions disrupted air traffic, prohibiting flights from departing or arriving, police said.

“He essentially shut the airport down for almost 45 minutes,” Clanton said. “His actions created a danger for all of our officers, himself and others who lawfully use the airport.”

Gryder has a history of disturbances at the Griffin airport, including previous complaints of him illegally driving his car on the runways, according to Robert Mohl, the airport's director.

“He’s done it before and he’s been warned," Mohl said...

http://www.ajc.com/news/delta-suspends-jailed-pilot-195178.html

We certainly don't have as many colorful 'cowboys' as a couple of decades ago but some folks still push the envelope with law enforcement in the flying business.

These guys are job security for management pilots.

GlueBall
13th Nov 2009, 02:58
Sounds like a restless fellow who does not know what to do with too much free time rostered by his mothership: Delta Airlines :{

West Coast
13th Nov 2009, 04:09
Wow, a DC-3. Imagine it will be for sale soon.

cessnapuppy
13th Nov 2009, 04:40
OMFG! I know this guy!

Wow, a DC-3. Imagine it will be for sale soon.

dont imagine too soon, it's a classic case of "When Assholes Collide!" as you will only see in HicksVille Georgia. There's a lot of history between those good old boys, I expect this all to blow over and all charges dropped.

treadigraph
13th Nov 2009, 06:34
Is this the same Dan Gryder who rubbished the A380 landing At Oshkosh on AvWeb TV back in August?

Interesting character...

stilton
13th Nov 2009, 07:02
Certainly sounds like he lost the plot a little. On the other hand, most of our 'friends in blue' over here love to fan the flames of any encounter with the public.

Using discretion, judgement, tact even is almost unheard of.

Extreme aggression, a stubborn attitude and a stunningly low level of intelligence is valued most highly by Police forces in this country.

West Coast
13th Nov 2009, 20:22
Have the pulse of "most of" the 836,000+ police officers in the US do you now?

How have you arrived at this conclusion? The media, personal interaction with "most of" the 836,000 individual officers or other means?

Even the times I've been pulled over for traffic violations the encounter was nothing less than professional, but I defer to your greater knowledge as you seem to know how the majority of the police act.

If the events are as reported, the police showed great restraint. Someone tries to run me over with a DC-3 and I had a gun, well lets just say that plane would be well ventilated near the cockpit.

Offchocks
13th Nov 2009, 20:46
"Gryder got to the end of the runway and attempted to take off, but he was out of gas."

A little lean on the fuel policy!

mary meagher
13th Nov 2009, 20:58
Boy, they don't mess around in Georgia - threatening to run over a policelady with a DC3!

Over here in the UK, a hunt supporter lost an encounter with a gyroplane.

protectthehornet
13th Nov 2009, 21:33
remember STINKY? Made a huge article in the Wall Street Journal.

hey...did anyone see that Lou Dobbs is leaving CNN?

Reefdweller123
13th Nov 2009, 21:36
Gryder has a history of disturbances at the Griffin airport, including previous complaints of him illegally driving his car on the runways, according to Robert Mohl, the airport's director[/font]

gives new meaning to a controller telling you "your cleared for the visual, follow that traffic":ok:

cessnapuppy
13th Nov 2009, 23:45
Is this the same Dan Gryder who rubbished the A380 landing At Oshkosh on AvWeb TV back in August?

Interesting character...

No mate, he was just the commentator chatting about it on the video
see link below
http://video.yahoo.com/watch/5650751/14818014

Even the times I've been pulled over for traffic violations the encounter was nothing less than professional, but I defer to your greater knowledge as you seem to know how the majority of the police act.

Yeah, you'd do well to defer to his 'greater knowledge' 'cause if he's talking about Georgia, he's mostly correct.

akaSylvia
14th Nov 2009, 01:03
Am I the only one who snorted with laughter at this point?

Gryder got to the end of the runway and attempted to take off, but he was out of gas.

Airbubba
14th Nov 2009, 02:28
Here's one of DAL B-777 FO Gryder's websites:

http://www.theaviatornetwork.com/

Maybe he was just having a bad day but this sort of news is not what we need right now.

stilton
14th Nov 2009, 02:44
Yes, West Coast I do feel I 'have the pulse' of most (not all) cops in this country. I went through a very stressful and traumatic ordeal due to the aggression and incompetence of one.

My case was dismissed by a Judge who, fortunately still practiced and followed the law.

There are endless cases of Police abuse in this country and those are just what is reported.

There are just too many bad cops out there and they do not make up for the minority of good ones.

Airbubba
14th Nov 2009, 03:15
remember STINKY? Made a huge article in the Wall Street Journal.

Was that the Marine Delta fired maybe a decade ago? One of his slipups was when the probationary FE tried to give him cash in the 727 cockpit for the meal he bought the night before. The captain was about to make a boarding PA announcement. He keyed the the mike, saw the FE pushing money at him and inadvertantly announced to the pax 'you can keep your f***ing money!'

West Coast
14th Nov 2009, 06:39
You know what most cops are like from the actions of one or even a few.

That's all I need to know.

A couple of NWA pilots missed MSP, guess "most" airline pilots must be incompetent then if we're going to continue with foolish generalizations.

DownIn3Green
14th Nov 2009, 18:51
I strongly support the efforts of Law Enforcement...However, I do not consider TSA or other "Security" staff "Law Enforcement"...Their record speaks for themselves...