PDA

View Full Version : Selling Exit Rows

L5Brassco
12th Nov 2009, 23:39
Todays Sydney Morning Herald contains this article

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/traveller-tips/soaring-costs-a-sore-point-20091030-hokc.html

It's about airline fees and charges. it talks about QF charging to reserve exit row seats in E/Y then says

"cabin crew are instructed not to allow anyone to move into them during the flight."

Now that is news to me.
Is this just more inaccurate media reporting or did I miss the memo?:confused:

dizzylizzy
13th Nov 2009, 04:00
Again, seems to be another mud slinging match onto Qantas. Virginblue have been charging for exit row seats for years, yet it fails to mention it?

Kanoknuahaha
13th Nov 2009, 06:21
I think it's something very common with low-cost companys:ok:. And yes, they reserve the tickets for an extra 5eur fee, and they feel like bussiness class or something...:) To be onest, for a 3-4h flight, it makes all the difference...the service it's called : extra legroom seat !!:))
Personally, i don't agree with this...i had to refuse pax who wanted to seat there becouse they didn't have the reservation, but they bought the most expensive ticket for that flight, and those who had reserved the seat, booked the cheapest ticket....
It's a trouble making service ! And yes, pax are not allowed to take this seats even after take-off...

K.

Pegasus747
13th Nov 2009, 07:03
If the seat is vacant after take off "anyone" is free to move there. There is no difference between that and any other seat that is free in the same class.

the only difference would be if the crew were going to use it for a service recovery issue or for a frequent flyer in which case anyone that had moved there would be required to vacate the seat under the direction of the CC and move back to their allocated seat.

By paying extra for the exit row seat the passenger is "guaranteed" the seat. If someone else gets it out of the "luck of the draw" then the person that has paid for it has suffered no "disadvantage" as they are still in the seat that they paid for.

if they wanted to take the "luck of the draw" then dont pay, but then dont complain if you dont get the exit row seat.

Boomerang_Butt
13th Nov 2009, 13:19
No instruction of the kind, barring refusing a move by someone who doesn't fulfil the exit row critera.

Now of course we have to make sure if anyone does move there that they are adequately briefed, but that's without saying...

Whoever wrote that was probably reading the old thread about whether or not pax with disabilities should be moved there in cruise and has run off with that idea... :P

vodkaholic
16th Nov 2009, 19:36
I don't work for this company but I do work for a UK charter airline, and it is a new policy that we have brought in recently that if the exit row is empty we are not allowed to move anyone there. And if someone sits there during the flight we have to politely ask them to return to their allocated seat because the exit row seats are charageable and we don't have the facility to take money for them on board.

S-crew'd
19th Nov 2009, 01:16
Our airline recently brought in this policy charging for exit row seats etc.. however company policy states that these seats must be occupied for take off and landing so potentially someone will always get moved to the seat in order to comply with company ops:ugh: